Down Hill Form

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
That ride is impressive anyway. I'd only experience the ride down as a bouncing corpse after I had a coronary 1/4 of the way up.
With some nice low gearing. You just spin your way to the top.

BTW, Bob did this as a virtual ride on his Kickr. He got the benefit of the climb, but without the reward of the downhill.

Yeah Lief, the local topography here can be a commuting bear. I live 100' up a 400' hill. It's the only road out of my neighborhood. I can drop 100' down an 18% grade with an S curve that t-bars into a 4 lane arterial at 18%. Or I can climb 300' up with an average grade of 11% and the first 100' is at 16%. And all this fun is ten yards from my driveway. No warm up for me. Did I mention that I bought the Vendetta because it's good for climbing?

My neighborhood has a short route with three mild rollers, a loop at the far end and a 50' climb up a cul de sac that's 16-18% grade and just to the other side of my driveway. After my flat work, that circuit and my new V20 are going to get to know each other really well. First without the cul de sac and then with it.

I'm going to use the Ratz method of lots of short rides to jumpstart my body's acclimation. (As an education expert, he's right about using this method to learn kinetic skills.) Jump on the bike and ride the circuit. Go do something for a few minutes and then repeat ad nauseum until I meld with this bike.

DuncanWatson

Duncan, that sounds nearly precisely what I do every commute.
It makes for a VERY cold first 10 minutes in the winter. :)
No kidding. You aren't warmed up and the early morning temps are so low compared to riding home in fall/spring. I used to get frostbite/windburn in the morning and then be in short sleeves for the ride home. And you don't want to know where that cold temps hit me, it makes for an interesting shower at work when your skin force thaws out.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
What about the Silvio with its FANTASTIC suspension!
We use sand and stone for the winter snows and it lasts on the roads until mid summer ; suspension doesn't help with that.

I think keeping the upper body relaxed, non-tensed is also a key.
This

Note: It should be noted in Bob's video above, he did that one handed!
Technically it was 2 appendages 1 thumb and 1 finger.

But then on the other if you are like Bob...his first ride was out his door and down the very hill in the video.
Yeah I think I hit 42mph on that hill not pedaling but I came from the stop light so I had another 100 ft of descending start.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I think keeping the upper body relaxed, non-tensed is also a key. The shoulders and arms should be relaxed...keep in mind there is a difference in firm grip and "death grip".

This.

And, just in case you missed it,

I think keeping the upper body relaxed, non-tensed is also a key. The shoulders and arms should be relaxed...

This.

I found you can really screw up a descent by being tense.

relax

And good things will happen.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Here's my latest attempt at speed and downhill form "practice" (Strava said I hit 52mph, but Garmin VIRB only had me at 50), although my downhill form is nothing compared to Bob's. (No one-handed riding here either)
I also pretty much had the death grip due to heavy gusts and cross-winds making it a little twitchy with my 88mm rims.
It would be more fun on a still "windless" day, but it was exhilarating for sure. I rode it 3 times that day as part of a 22 mile loop. Of course the really "fun" part was going up the grade on the other side! ;)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
pretty much had the death grip due to heavy gusts and cross-winds making it a little twitchy with my 88mm rims.

That is not a one hand rated hill or road surface. I suspect my brakes would have been warmer than yours

Here's my latest attempt at speed and downhill form "practice" (Strava said I hit 52mph, but Garmin VIRB only had me at 50), although my downhill form is nothing compared to Bob's. (No one-handed riding here either)
I also pretty much had the death grip due to heavy gusts and cross-winds making it a little twitchy with my 88mm rims.
It would be more fun on a still "windless" day, but it was exhilarating for sure. I rode it 3 times that day as part of a 22 mile loop. Of course the really "fun" part was going up the grade on the other side! ;)

Larry what's on the inside of your pedals? It looks like you're pedaling from the middle of your arch.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
That is the little "pod" of the Garmin Vector Pedals. Holds that battery and transmitter I suspect.
No - not pedaling from the middle of my arch, however my toes are pretty much pointed straight up when I pedal. Little odd, but that's the way I do it. :)

That is the little "pod" of the Garmin Vector Pedals. Holds that battery and transmitter I suspect.
No - not pedaling from the middle of my arch, however my toes are pretty much pointed straight up when I pedal. Little odd, but that's the way I do it. :)
Thanks Larry. Mostly curiosity on my part. I'm definitely in the do what works for you camp. While I'm not much of a gearhead, I enjoy learning and immersing myself in any recumbent culture is an exercise in seeing all kinds of options. :)

Once I have mine and get used to it, I'll come over and ride with you and the Couch Potatoes. Actually ridden with the BR Bike club a couple of times. Tough to keep up on a 40+ pound trike :)

Wannabe

Once I have mine and get used to it, I'll come over and ride with you and the Couch Potatoes. Actually ridden with the BR Bike club a couple of times. Tough to keep up on a 40+ pound trike :)
SOUNDS GREAT... looking forward to it!

As a new rider I find myself better able to relax on a downhill than when I am doing slow figure 8's. I just relax and let the bike do the work.