Drivetrain Wizard

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
There's been a lot of discussion about drivetrains in the Silvio forum lately.

I've discovered a drivetrain guru at VeloNews; who's done a lot of mixing and matching and swapping, and he has a lot of insight around 10 and 11-speed compatibility.

A few minutes strolling through his FAQ is very informative:

http://velonews.competitor.com/category/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq

Best,

Doug

JO_CONNOR

Reading Zinn's FAQs

Thanks Doug.
I am fan of the the "Zinn and the Art of..." bike maintenance books. I've been reading Zinn's info about 10- & 11-speed compatibility issues this week at VeloNews, as well as other posts on this forum and others. I've moved up the MBB/FWD learning curve far enough to know that I'm ALL IN on this conversion. So I conferred with my LBS guru today and decided to pull the trigger: I ordered a new full Ultegra 6800 11-speed groupo. Should be in by Thursday, and I'll be rolling on it by the weekend!

The one thing we are not sure of is the exact specs of the hub on the Cruzbike Aero 67 wheels that came with my S1.0. Zinn says that he has interchanged Ultegra, Campy and SRAM wheels with 130mm spacing among the 3 brands of rear 11-speed derailers and shifters without issues. He says that some wheels have spacers that can be removed to accommodate the 11-speed cassette. Any suggestions you may have on making the Aero 67 drive wheel work with the 11-speed cassette would be most helpful. If there is a way to make this work on the Cruzbike Aero's, we will figure it out. If not, I'll probably spring for an Ultegra 11-speed wheelset, or one of the many wheelsets that are advertised as 10- and 11-speed compatible.

In the meantime, I'm riding nearly every day, weather and work schedule permitting. My current old Durace 3x9 is sufficient to keep me moving up the learning curve. I endure the random knee contacts with the shifter cables, gear grinding and missed shifts because I know it will only get better with the new 2x11 groupo and 170mm cranks.