Elektre Townie conversion

Ron Friedhoff

Hello: I would appreciate an opinion on the suitability of the Elektra Townie for the conversion kit. Thanks, Ron Friedhoff
elektrabike.com/bikes

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
I'm assuming you

Hi,

I'm assuming you meant http://www.electrabike.com/bikes/townie.

The concern I'd have is the seat. I think it's pretty much a no-go on the men's frame (unless you're quite tall). It might be possible on the woman's frame, but you'll have to get the seat to a reasonable angle which may not be trivial.

It's certainly not the first bike I'd try and use.

Cheers,
Charles

jimbo3b

Get a Sofrider

The only reason you'd consider these bikes for conversion would be if you already have a Townie, and even then it doesn't make sense (as Charles said). The basic bike is in the $500 range (at REI) and by the time you add the Cruzbike conversion you'd be better off with a Sofrider. The GO version (with battery and motor hub) is $2,300, so again, get a Sofrider and put a third party kit on it--you'll spend less and be happier with the bike.

Ron Friedhoff

Elektra

Thanks for the advice. I do presently have an electric hub on the front of my Townie. My intent was that I would move the drive to the rear if the frame would work. BTW I did order a Sofrider last week.
I hope I can get used to the frontdrive system quickly.
Ron

jimbo3b

Good Choice!

Your proposed conversion wouldn't have worked, then, because the front and rear hubs have different widths, and it probably would have been difficult to adapt a 100 mm wide front hub to the 135 mm rear space. (The conversion kit has a long axle for a regular front hub, and brackets to fit the wider rear onto the front of the bike.)

However, your electric front hub should fit just fine at the back of a current-version Sofrider. The Townie uses 26 x 2" tires, which are probably too large for the Sofrider (I couldn't get mine to fit) so you'll need to switch to something closer to 26 x 1.5". If you're unsure, hopefully your local bike shop will be helpful.

There is a lot of advice here on how to learn to ride. I recommend several short practice sessions in a parking lot or on a street that has no traffic. I then started commuting to work on mine, all on quiet streets and city trails, and at the 50 mile point I was reasonably secure.

Hope you enjoy the bike.