Eliptical Chain rings on a Silvio

happybentrider

Well I've taken the plunge. After years of reading about them, I finally worked up the courage, (and cash) to buy a set of oblong chain rings. I bought a set of the adjustable ones from Q Rotor a Spanish Mfg., through my local bike shop. After a helpful conversation with Maria P. (aka Queen of Speed), "I have them on all my racing bikes", and a careful reading (and re-reading) of John T's article on how to set them up, I took the plunge. It was quite easy, and I think I have them in the right position. I've attached pictures so you can look and see if you agree.
First ride impression was, "I can't tell the difference" I guess I expected some sort of a loopy, uncomfortable pedaling motion, there was none. Unfortunately, thats all I can report. I have no exact speeds from carefully calibrated "prior" rides that I can now compare to. I at least imagine that I'm going faster so I'm happy with that. If I come up with anything more helpful than this I'll be sure to post it.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
my Q-ring setup

I like my Q-rings on the Vendetta and Silvio, too.
I can't tell from the picture exactly how yours is set up, but the idea is that the chain should just be starting to engage the long-axis of the ring when you begin your "power stroke". Here's a diagram of how my Q-ring is setup with reference to the index dots engraved on the rings. Good luck.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
re-try photo link

Let me try that photo link again...

Q_ring_install_on_V.jpg

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
The chain should be engaging

The chain should be engaging the major axis when your are about 2/3 through your power stroke.