Exercise Benefits

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I just been out on the MTB and tested myself with some sprinting sets on a 40km ride. Gee... its good but he he he... when I get out on the V in racing mode it feels even better.

I would love to be able to share the wellbeing with others. I am thinking how good it would be to have a special building with glass windows and air conditioning with a set of training bikes and take a video of some of my rides and work out the aggregate speed of the class and get the video playback to go the speed of the class instead of the speed of the ride. I guess it can be done, probably best to record the ride of a uniform speed of 10kph and then a one hour class would perhaps only consume half of the ride. You could have an overlay on the video of aggregate speed and calories consumed. The instructor can set the target speed that can have a flashing overlay and when the aggregate speed reaches it, it stops flashing. It would be a universal trainer so wouldn't be dependant on language. Of course the guide can have a microphone and loudspeakers to add enthusiasm to the session.

Well I am a software engineer by profession... there must be video engines out there that one could buy... or I develop it myself. Guess it depends how wrapped up I want to get in it. Probably start looking at public domain open systems to see if there is something I can lift.

I much prefer to be outdoors than in but the vast majority of people don't have the time to enjoy life. Six minutes a week must sound ideal to all those crazy lifestyle people.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I just been out on the MTB and tested myself with some sprinting sets on a 40km ride. Gee... its good but he he he... when I get out on the V in racing mode it feels even better.

I would love to be able to share the wellbeing with others. I am thinking how good it would be to have a special building with glass windows and air conditioning with a set of training bikes and take a video of some of my rides and work out the aggregate speed of the class and get the video playback to go the speed of the class instead of the speed of the ride. I guess it can be done, probably best to record the ride of a uniform speed of 10kph and then a one hour class would perhaps only consume half of the ride. You could have an overlay on the video of aggregate speed and calories consumed. The instructor can set the target speed that can have a flashing overlay and when the aggregate speed reaches it, it stops flashing. It would be a universal trainer so wouldn't be dependant on language. Of course the guide can have a microphone and loudspeakers to add enthusiasm to the session.

Well I am a software engineer by profession... there must be video engines out there that one could buy... or I develop it myself. Guess it depends how wrapped up I want to get in it. Probably start looking at public domain open systems to see if there is something I can lift.

I much prefer to be outdoors than in but the vast majority of people don't have the time to enjoy life. Six minutes a week must sound ideal to all those crazy lifestyle people.
I remember that Computrainer has a group ride option. I think it was limited to 5 riders. But that has been around for a while. When I was using one, it seemed that they stopped development after getting the product out to the market, so some of the apps were kludgey and the others started to lag the newer technology. The Computrainer itself was awesome, it was just the software that was not kept up-to-date. But regarding your idea, others have been thinking along the same lines for a few years at least, but I'm not aware of a product/service available to take advantage of what is technologically possible today. From what I hear of basement-training complaints, it seems that many people would welcome this type of training. So, a twist on your idea that is technologically possible nowadays (and would not require a dedicated building and could accommodate riders in different geographic areas) would be to use a big screen at home, display small face shots of all riders participating in a training session (each also at home), have the trainers communicate over the Internet to a server that supplies the course and conditions, show everyone's specs (e.g., HR, power output, etc.) on the screen, allow everyone to communicate verbally, and play a video of the course (including hills that you can see and feel). This would be a kind of group virtual reality training (or even racing) for the winter. Boredom would be a distant memory.

DavidCH

I am pretty lucky, even at Xmas time the temperature is usually about 75 to 80. End of Jan to middle of Feb is pretty yuk and then by the end of Feb the weather is much better. Thanks for the ideas and computrainer... I will try and see how its User Interface works and try and right out a set of use case definitions to work from. Certainly Virtual Reality Trainers seem to be in vogue, I did see already a mega good one being used by GMC on one of their videos, it even had hill biofeedback so the trainer would increase its resistance when going up hills. I don't know what happens if you get too close to another rider... guess you both get knocked out with a dollar continuation fee (LOL).

Perhaps have a viewer app that is iPad based so it can be mounted on the handlebars. Most DF riders are going to press their nose into the screen when pressing the continuation button as they always have their head down.

emmm it sounds like a big project. Best start with a prototype that's pretty simple.

DavidCH

Gosh just spent an hour looking at Computrainer, at $1600 it seems beyond the average rider that just wants to spend 6 minutes a week spinning (LOL). That bit of kit certainly has a lot of aces even if its not mobile; touch screen orientated with an apple like interface. It must have taken hundreds of hours to develop. I loved the spinscan feature.

Last edited:

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Excellent, Mr. Weissert!

I first learned this on PBS, "The Truth About Exercise"
and adapted these concepts to my own life.

From the show:
"- three 20 second bursts of extreme cardiovascular exercise three times a week may be all most individuals need to lower levels of blood lipids, glucose and cholesterol while increasing aerobic capacity."

DavidCH

I've looked at all sorts of knowledge... seems rest is high up on the list of desirable activities. I also have been using the cyclemeter app , I love all the graphs and GPS info it gives and notifications for what type of ride you are on (intervals etc) and it can be used with Wahoo RFLKT and Strava, I might wait to see what the new Wahoo Elemnt is like as that is USB rechargeable (The RFLKT is the one with the funny battery that doesn't last too long). So exercise benefits are you stay younger for longer. You become more present. You reduce the amount of stresses from your life (depending where you ride). You don't use the car so much so riding saves you money. The riding way of life makes you clean up your act. You become more health conscious and world conscientious.

Bad points about cycling
It makes you competitive... there is nothing quite like going past one roadie when you can go past five.

Speed has to be respected. Bent riders can exit laughing. DF riders usually go flying over the handlebars (done this before and it hurts for months).

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I've looked at all sorts of knowledge... seems rest is high up on the list of desirable activities. I also have been using the cyclemeter app , I love all the graphs and GPS info it gives and notifications for what type of ride you are on (intervals etc) and it can be used with Wahoo RFLKT and Strava, I might wait to see what the new Wahoo Elemnt is like as that is USB rechargeable (The RFLKT is the one with the funny battery that doesn't last too long). So exercise benefits are you stay younger for longer. You become more present. You reduce the amount of stresses from your life (depending where you ride). You don't use the car so much so riding saves you money. The riding way of life makes you clean up your act. You become more health conscious and world conscientious.

Bad points about cycling
It makes you competitive... there is nothing quite like going past one roadie when you can go past five.

Speed has to be respected. Bent riders can exit laughing. DF riders usually go flying over the handlebars (done this before and it hurts for months).
I like to blow by 10 DFs at a time at 30mph. Then I hide in the shadows until they blow past me. Then I buzz them again. I know, it's a cruel world.

jond

Zen MBB Master

check out zwift.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Gosh just spent an hour looking at Computrainer, at $1600 it seems beyond the average rider that just wants to spend 6 minutes a week spinning (LOL). That bit of kit certainly has a lot of aces even if its not mobile; touch screen orientated with an apple like interface. It must have taken hundreds of hours to develop. I loved the spinscan feature.

compu trainer = old hat and unsupported with a closed platform not open to app writers. get a kickr open platform. :)

DavidCH

check out zwift.
Cor!!!!!!! I looked at it and think now I have to get a trainer with a big screen and set up for some in house suffering. Well good. It's still in beta and so it doesn't cost anything. Just have to buy a big flat screen and dare I say it attach my old DF Raleigh 3.0 to it. Oddly enough as steel frame bikes go that was quite a comfortable one to ride on the straight trails of Florida. (There was one trail I did that was a perfect 30 miles as far as the eye could see without interruptions. You just had to duck for the odd spider and deer jumping out).

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
Cor!!!!!!! I looked at it and think now I have to get a trainer with a big screen and set up for some in house suffering. Well good. It's still in beta and so it doesn't cost anything. Just have to buy a big flat screen and dare I say it attach my old DF Raleigh 3.0 to it. Oddly enough as steel frame bikes go that was quite a comfortable one to ride on the straight trails of Florida. (There was one trail I did that was a perfect 30 miles as far as the eye could see without interruptions. You just had to duck for the odd spider and deer jumping out.

check out a list of compatible trainers. you dont have to get a smart trainer eg kickr but can go with a fluid trainer etc but they have a listing. then all you need is an ant+ dongle for your computer to pick up your sensors speed and cadence and heart rate and or power. yes it is still in beta but so far no issues other than choice but it is making wet weather training tolerable for me :)

jond

Zen MBB Master
you mean like this: (I guess I never got up to 30mph like you Joe, but it was still pretty fun!)

larry i never get sick of gleefully watching this video. priceless. but this is only partly why we are converted to recumbents no :) in deed my own vendetta is called "mission." that mission is to stay unpassed for as long as possible by anyone on an upwrong. so far so good. but i am not kidding myself. silly i know and narcissistic the very thing i aim to combat and educate as i pass....... but it is harmless fun....... (i hope)

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Thanks for the comments. Yeah, it is fun to watch, just watched it again!
Yeah Jon - I hate to get passed by anyone too, but sometimes it's just cool to "let" them pass, and then come blow by them when they are not expecting it. :)