Experiences Silvio S30 installed a Schlumpf SD/HSD & Rohloff hub ?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
For the record, this is why I don't understand why people poo-poo triples. You can get your nice tight cassette and still have the range.

I thought about that a bit more than I should and not as much you :)

Some of that comes down to marketing and availability. My Trek 5500 Carbon Killing machine was from the pre-armstrong era. It had a triple and so did all the bikes back then; even my Trek y-Foil 77 (which was eons ahead DF's today, thanks UCI) had a triple. And we ran 9 speed single step cassette. Years later I come back and find out nobody makes a high end triple (looking at you shimano) and the bike shops all scoff at them. and so goes johnny public.

Now that we have Electric Derailleur swho's movement is not limited to 2 dimensions left and right and the power of cable pull, I'll tell you what I would like to see. Someone develop a Proper High and Low front ring system. There is too much over lap between a 53 /36 or a 50/34. Instead use this new fangled tech to to give us 3D motion on the FD and a long cage on the rear with a tight tight spring so that we can run at 53/30. that would get rid of most of the over lapping gear and give a proper Low and High gear.

Insert all the discussion about straight chain lines, the pressure from sram for everyone to go back to X1 style etc etc etc etc.

Last edited:

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
All I ever wanted was an inexpensive, durable, lightweight, infinitely variable transmission.
Is that asking too much?

Martinius Berg

Hi Marc
Sheldon Browns bicycle website have a ratio calculator . It would not be impossible to find your ideal combination of rear hub/cassette and crank tooth wheels . I used 26.42 .52 and a rear cassette 11-36 build on my earlier Optima low racer. Result is lower speed on the 26 teeth wheel but easier climbing , hills 7-11 % elevation.

Friendly regards Martinius.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Charles,
based on your (and Dana's) recommendations I built my Silvio 2.1 with a 30-39-50 with 165mm cranks and 11-36 cassette. By the end of this season I'm going to change it to a 34-50 with 150mm cranks. After 3000 km on my Silvio I'm able to climb most hills in my area with the 39t ring.
When my speed under effort drops below 8 km/h I encounter problems with the balance, therefore a lower gear-ratio wont help me.
Anyway on hills of 12% and more, my motor gets stuck (model year 1945).

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who led you astray... :D

I can ride my two Cruzbikes at speeds of about half that. I find (particularly when towing a trail-a-bike but even when climbing by myself) on very steep hills (sometimes > 15% or even ~20% for very short periods of time) that I could use a lower gear than I have (and I go down to under 17" on both bikes).

My bikes are geared low enough that I find I have to shift into a higher gear to start sometimes because it's hard to move enough in half a stroke with a 17" gear...

Anyhoo, back to our regularly scheduled topic. :)

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
All I ever wanted was an inexpensive, durable, lightweight, infinitely variable transmission.
Is that asking too much?

No, it'x exactly the right thing to ask for. I just don't think it's reasonable to expect it. :D

Chris Blessing has a Nuvinci 360 mated with a mountain drive. This means he gets great range, infinitely variable transmission (and I think it's pretty durable). Light and inexpensive aren't good descriptors here.

For a lot of applications, I think mating a Nuvinci 360 (or 380 now) with a double or triple crankset would be a great setup.