Falling over

I have a unique problem. I am able to control the Silvio fairly well when riding but when I slow down at a yield sign, I often fall over. No time to get my feet out of the pedals. I am still a little unsteady at slow speed handling. I am pretty good at about 5 mph. I can't seem to ride slower than this. Any thoughts on what else might help. I do want to continue using clipless pedals.

Jeremy S

Dude
Have you tried sitting up when you slow down? I find it much easier to control my balance that way. It's also easier to see traffic.

I second leaning forward. I think it makes balancing easier. It puts more weight over the front wheel. I think I react quicker when I lean forward to check traffic at a intersection.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I have a unique problem. I am able to control the Silvio fairly well when riding but when I slow down at a yield sign, I often fall over. No time to get my feet out of the pedals. I am still a little unsteady at slow speed handling. I am pretty good at about 5 mph. I can't seem to ride slower than this. Any thoughts on what else might help. I do want to continue using clipless pedals.
I fall over at high speed, so you are ahead of me! :eek::D
Seriously though, I think practicing 3 things will help you:
(1) - Practice clipping out really quickly. Just sit on your bike with it stationary in some way - just clip in and out and practice doing it really fast.
(2) - When coming up to a "possible" stop, unclip one or both or your feet well in advance and have one or both of you legs dangling to catch you if you do stop - If you don't, keep rolling and clip back in.
(3) - In combination with #2, if you unclip both feet you can then slide you rear end back and up the seat, therefore having a higher center of gravity and be able to hold yourself up if you should stop.

Good Luck - and, by the way, don't practice falling at speed - it just hurts to much.:(

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Unclip before you slow down, then brake quickly, put your feet on the ground and stand up as you stop. To take off again, take a couple of steps to get rolling, slide down in the seat, attach your feet to the pedals, and start pedaling. It feels good to take advantage, on long rides, to stand up, when stopping is necessary, and give the feet a rest.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
I fall over at high speed, so you are ahead of me! :eek::D
Seriously though, I think practicing 3 things will help you:
(1) - Practice clipping out really quickly. Just sit on your bike with it stationary in some way - just clip in and out and practice doing it really fast.
(2) - When coming up to a "possible" stop, unclip one or both or your feet well in advance and have one or both of you legs dangling to catch you if you do stop - If you don't, keep rolling and clip back in.
(3) - In combination with #2, if you unclip both feet you can then slide you rear end back and up the seat, therefore having a higher center of gravity and be able to hold yourself up if you should stop.

Good Luck - and, by the way, don't practice falling at speed - it just hurts to much.:(

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
I second that emotion. Any thoughts on keeping vendetta upright after flat . went out of control really fast at about 20 mph. I hate to think about the same happening at 40+.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I second that emotion. Any thoughts on keeping vendetta upright after flat . went out of control really fast at about 20 mph. I hate to think about the same happening at 40+.
Go tubeless... Gives you more time to react. I haven't had a puncture since I changed

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Larry's point #2, simplify unclip in advance. You should still be able to pedal. I do this quite often, always be prepared in advance.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
ChaleJake said:
I second leaning forward

I third that. It makes your upper body independent of the bike. I modified my Silvio so the handlebar clamp is further away from my chest. Now I can go at 3mph for as long as I like.

Bill K

Guru
+4 on leaning forward. Much better balance at low speed below 5 mph and better visibility in traffic.
I also like Robert Holler's method: unclip one foot and pedal full circles with your other foot. Great for stop-and-go traffic and you can swerve the bike quickly to land on your un-clipped foot.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
sitting up when you slow down
your upper body independent of the bike.

Practice that. I was taken aback at the retreat when @Lief, who has many many more miles on his Cruzbike than I do; was surprised to see me riding sitting up with my torso going one way and the bike the other. I believe the phrase went something like "Huh, I never thought about doing that" so apparently it's not obvious; but it's a valuable skill for slow speed riding. If something bad happens at slow speeds then the obvious answer is that bike handling skills require more practice; fortunately that stuff can be done at slow speed 15 minutes at a time; never a excuse of "I don't have enough time"

Ego is the only limiter on this sort of practice..... (That comment is for everyone, not @cranky cyclist, because every one of us needs to be vigilant on that one).

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I know. You very quickly learn to lean in a precise way. I've done it twice on my mountain bike. It hurts more from a height. When it happens just relax and try not to stick your elbow out. :eek:

ratz

My ego is crushed when I fall over at an intersection and everyone in the world is watching and asking are you okay! :)

I think that is universal to all of us; I just make sure you understood that all of us (event the drum better, me) feel a little silly practicing. Then I watch my kids taking 3-4 years to learn to properly handle a bike and I feel less silly......

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
All of the above advice. +1
Being the current "King of the AJ", I have less ego to spare...most of it is still lying in the street in front of various public places. :( Best advice of the above is "plan ahead". Train...but "plan your ride, ride your plan."

I can get my V20 down to <8mph...but if I cannot accelerate from there, I still have to get out and walk. Did so yesterday as I failed to reach the summit of "the big hill" on my current route. One side is very steep...but shorter, I get to within 1ooyds and have to walk. The other side (tried yesterday) is less steep...but longer. I had to get out and walk about 200yds from the summit. I sit up, spin like mad but when I see 8 and getting slower, I unclip and stop (or risk falling over). I can get slower in a parking lot...but that's not the same at all.

The best part of the above hill-walking exercise is that I planned my climb. I prepared my bail-out option and kept it in my mind as I worked my way up. I do the same for intersections, yields and merges...I'm always ready to stomp on the brakes and unclip (or vice versa) in case something unexpected happens...part of basic training ought to include emergency stops. Get your SO to punish you in the parking lot. Have them randomly shout,
"CAR!!!" and you have to react as if one just pulled out. I assure you, Miz Diane loves that kind of thing. :eek::cool:

ratz

All of the above advice. +1
Being the current "King of the AJ", I have less ego to spare...most of it is still lying in the street in front of various public places. :( Best advice of the above is "plan ahead". Train...but "plan your ride, ride your plan."

I can get my V20 down to <8mph...but if I cannot accelerate from there, I still have to get out and walk. Did so yesterday as I failed to reach the summit of "the big hill" on my current route. One side is very steep...but shorter, I get to within 1ooyds and have to walk. The other side (tried yesterday) is less steep...but longer. I had to get out and walk about 200yds from the summit. I sit up, spin like mad but when I see 8 and getting slower, I unclip and stop (or risk falling over). I can get slower in a parking lot...but that's not the same at all.

The best part of the above hill-walking exercise is that I planned my climb. I prepared my bail-out option and kept it in my mind as I worked my way up. I do the same for intersections, yields and merges...I'm always ready to stomp on the brakes and unclip (or vice versa) in case something unexpected happens...part of basic training ought to include emergency stops. Get your SO to punish you in the parking lot. Have them randomly shout,
"CAR!!!" and you have to react as if one just pulled out. I assure you, Miz Diane loves that kind of thing. :eek::cool:
What are the gear sets you guys are running?

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I'm running a std. compact double (34/50?) up front and a SRAM 11sp 11-36 in the rear. Yesterday, I simply ran out of gas...I made the intermediate crest, it gets less steep after that...but I simply haven't been training long enough to sustain the wattage necessary for that last 200yds. I was panting like a dog...got off and had to unclip my helmet strap (I had forgotten my HR monitor...but I'm sure I maxed out). I walked to the crest, hopped on and made the descent on the other side. About 30mph, my helmet flew off. Once I realized what had happened, I stopped, pulled over and a green-suiter in a truck behind me shouted, "I got it!". The US Army delivered my dear departed helmet with a smile and a 'Have a nice day, Sir!"