Falling over

mzweili

Guru
I have the same problem. It takes me a lot of concntration to ride my Silvio 2 on a straight line below 8mph without sitting up. But sitting up over a 1 km long steep climb takes too much effort.
On my last ride I encountered a (for me) serious climb over 1 km with a 14% incline. In the middle of it I had no other choice than walking, specially because it was a small country road with some truck traffic.
montagne.png

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I don't think I could spin fast enough with a 42 to do the job. That's my trouble with the 36: if I spin hard enough to keep the bike upright, I run out of HR (and energy) pretty quickly. Per Sheldon Brown Gear Inch calculator, I would have to be spinning over 120rpm cadence to keep the bike upright (about 8mph for me right now) with a 42. As it is, I have to spin the 36 over 100rpm to keep her above 8mph...which is part of the reason I run out of steam pretty quickly.

I re-clocked my Q-rings per Ratz' suggestion...test riding this weekend in OCP 1 (mashing). Ultimately, my solution appears to be 'get stronger and lighter', both of which are going to simply take some time. I will do it.

Here's the elevation profile for this ride (from somebody else's RWGPS map). The hill is shown starting at mile 36. I its a tad easier from the other direction...but has a longer ramp-up. It looks short and steep from the profile but it really only shows 4.2% max (based on RideWithGPS). I suspect it is steeper than the GPS shows. I don't attempt it that late in the ride, usually at mile 10 or so.

View attachment 3366
Okay, so if I'm following, 8 mph is your slowest climbing speed to feel comfortable?

Riding slower than 6.5 mph up hill without weaving for me took some practice and was one of the last skills to accomplish on the Silvio in my beginning days. Now I'm able to slow down into under 5, around 4.7 mph. But most climbs I can slow down to 5.x if I need to and still plot a fairly straight course and not feel like I'm over spinning and I'm laid back into my seat relaxed. If I had to climb my hills at 8 mph, I would still be in my 52 big ring, but would blow up before reaching the tops of most hills.

I would advise that you practice your slow speed skills Marc. Good luck!

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Practicing! I could easily do under 5mph on my V2/K. Vendetta is way different. Probably the higher BB and more seat recline. Thanks!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Practicing! I could easily do under 5mph on my V2/K. Vendetta is way different. Probably the higher BB and more seat recline. Thanks!
I've been there. In the beginning, my thought was, I would never achieve under 6.5 mph and feel in control or confident. But at the time on my Metabike I had no problem climbing under 5 mph. So my thinking was keep the Silvio for more flat riding routes, and use the Metabike for the more hilly riding. But to my amazement the more I rode the Silvio my thinking started to wonder into, maybe I will be able to climb at slower speeds. I started out doing the climbing thing slowly and eventually my slow speed motor skills improved. Then I bought the Vendetta, and found that all of my skills learned from the Silvio transferred over to the Vendetta. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if next year at about this time you will be writing a story similar to mine providing hope for someone in need of it;)!

Bill K

Guru
Observations after 5 months of riding my Silvio. I am riding better but still don't feel one with the bike.
I had an interesting observation that might help:
I recently hurt my shoulder and, strangely, I could ride my DF without affecting the pulled muscle so I rode the DF for two weeks to give the shoulder a rest.
I had been riding the V20 at least 180 miles per week for the last 8 months or so.

When I hopped back on the V20, my low speed balance seemed a bit better and I felt more relaxed riding, more at-one with the bike.
Maybe you are just trying to hard (is that even possible?) and just need a short break.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I had an interesting observation that might help:
I recently hurt my shoulder and, strangely, I could ride my DF without affecting the pulled muscle so I rode the DF for two weeks to give the shoulder a rest.
I had been riding the V20 at least 180 miles per week for the last 8 months or so.

When I hopped back on the V20, my low speed balance seemed a bit better and I felt more relaxed riding, more at-one with the bike.
Maybe you are just trying to hard (is that even possible?) and just need a short break.

Two weeks on a DF will drastically improve the strength of your trunk. This is why it is hard to ride no-handed at the start of the season each year on a DF. That trunk strength will transfer to better balance on a recumbent. Doing 8 sit ups three times a day will accomplish the same thing.

Bill K

Guru
Two weeks on a DF will drastically improve the strength of your trunk. This is why it is hard too ride no handed at the start of the season each year on a DF. That trunk strength will transfer to better balance on a recumbent. Doing 8 sit ups three times a day will accomplish the same thing.
Thanks Rats!
Surprised me that doing sit-ups would improve bike handling skills, but it does make sense, and I guess it works.
I would rather ride the DF than do sit-ups, but I'll work on it.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Use your Cruzbike to go to work. Use it to go shopping. Ride it in the park, among children, their over-protective parents, mad dogs, their mad owners, and on paths that are being gradually levered up by tree roots. These places are where you learn to go slowly.

McWheels

Off the long run
If I do the school run, it's rarely quicker than 4.5mph. I'm a bit wobbly down at under 3 on tarmac, but when there's some resistance, like getting off the path to grass, it becomes much easier to maintain balance at that speed.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Everybody is wobbly under 3mph. This is close to the fundamental limit of cycling. If you need a bit of resistance, try holding your brakes slightly on.