Farther, Faster, Fitter, Fun - (4F - The unofficial Cruzbike training team and support group)

AlexisBV

Finally got my indoor trainer (a Neo) after over a month and a half of waiting for an out-of-stock item. Looks like it's pretty hard to come by (next batch is expected end of February...)

Set everything up yesterday and went for a non-serious ride in Zwift (7 day free trial) just to see what it's like to ride indoors. Not too bad, and I'm glad I have the option of turning down the heating in addition to using a fan. I'm a bit disappointed though that my ANT+ enabled phone wasn't relaying HR (or cadence) data to Zwift. My HR and cadence sensors are Garmin ANT+ only (no BT). Other phone apps like Strava pick up my ANT+ sensors just fine, so I imagine it's a limitation in the Zwift android app.

Tonight I'll be signing up for TrainerRoad. I'll see if the TR app picks up the ANT+ sensors. Otherwise I'll have to settle for a dongle.

Ratz, do we still have discount codes for TrainerRoad?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Finally got my indoor trainer (a Neo) after over a month and a half of waiting for an out-of-stock item. Looks like it's pretty hard to come by (next batch is expected end of February...)

Set everything up yesterday and went for a non-serious ride in Zwift (7 day free trial) just to see what it's like to ride indoors. Not too bad, and I'm glad I have the option of turning down the heating in addition to using a fan. I'm a bit disappointed though that my ANT+ enabled phone wasn't relaying HR (or cadence) data to Zwift. My HR and cadence sensors are Garmin ANT+ only (no BT). Other phone apps like Strava pick up my ANT+ sensors just fine, so I imagine it's a limitation in the Zwift android app.

Tonight I'll be signing up for TrainerRoad. I'll see if the TR app picks up the ANT+ sensors. Otherwise I'll have to settle for a dongle.

Ratz, do we still have discount codes for TrainerRoad?

We Do have one more; I think Nick's off racing as I haven't heard from him in a bit; he goes to crazy cool places to race. But they are also retro active so if we keep pulling in the riders I suspect we'll keep getting the codes over time. I will PM it to you.

Zwift's sensor support is a bit week and ANT+ is bad on anything but PC. Oddly the smart trainer market had to go BT because ANT+ trainer protocol was a year late to the table so most of these apps do better with BlueTooth; which is true on the PC too if you have the correct supported BT Dongle.

The rule of thumb is when possible control your smart Trainer with BT when possible (usually more features) and if you have BT use that to control any other critical device; then use ANT+ as it work to monitor other data streams; since ANT+ is one-to-many and BT is one-to-one that works well when you get cute and do things like control the workout in TrainerRoad and feed the watts into Zwift so you can accumulate mileage in that world and earn good bikes for doing Free rides in the virtual world.

After Sebring I'm planning an article on how to use the two programs together; which I have been doing for about 3 weeks now.

There is a heart rate monitor that converts blue tooth to Ant +. It is called Cable. It receives a bluetooth signal for HR and any devices that use Ant+ are changed to bluetooth signal. I don't know how well it works.

1happyreader

zen/child method
I'm a bit disappointed though that my ANT+ enabled phone wasn't relaying HR (or cadence) data to Zwift. My HR and cadence sensors are Garmin ANT+ only (no BT). Other phone apps like Strava pick up my ANT+ sensors just fine, so I imagine it's a limitation in the Zwift android app.
1. Trainer road works fine on my Samsung Galaxy S4 with ANT+ power, speed, heartrate, and cadence sensors.
2. It looks like the Zwift mobile link was designed as a remote head unit/display for Zwift . you will still need a ANT+ dongled computer to give swift access to your sensors ?

AlexisBV

1. Trainer road works fine on my Samsung Galaxy S4 with ANT+ power, speed, heartrate, and cadence sensors.
2. It looks like the Zwift mobile link was designed as a remote head unit/display for Zwift . you will still need a ANT+ dongled computer to give swift access to your sensors ?

1. Good to know, my phone is a S7, so I expect it'll work fine.
2. I'm pretty sure Zwift was using the phone as a bridge between the trainer (via BT) and the PC (via Wi-Fi/LAN), since Zwift on the PC could control the trainer as well as read power and cadence coming from the trainer (but not from my ANT+ sensors). My PC doesn't currently have any BT or ANT+ capabilities (or even Wi-Fi, as it's a desktop connected to the home wi-fi via ethernet cable)

On a side note, it was kind of interesting to feel the wooden-board road effects on the trainer on some segments of the London Loop track in Zwift. Made me smile, but I'm not sure it's something I would specifically pay for (training value?). But the "smart" aspect of the trainer is definitely VERY cool (and useful)!

I find that my drivetrain seems a bit noisy though, I fiddled with the rear derailer for a good 15-20 minutes but I couldn't get rid of the clickety noise coming from the cassette and/or rear derailer (especially compared with the silent front-end of the drivetrain). I'm not sure if it's normal (considering I never really used a bike in a quiet and enclosed indoor environment) or if it's something that requires attention. The cassette I got for the trainer is a HG81 (11-36 10sp), and all the other drivetrain components are stock for the S30 (about 900km on them).

PS: I know the correct spelling is "derailleur", but I think it's a bit odd to borrow a french word when there's a suitable english equivalent.. futile, I know :)

ratz

PS: I know the correct spelling is "derailleur", but I think it's a bit odd to borrow a french word when there's a suitable english equivalent.. futile, I know :)
That's good I can't spell either version; and autocorrect gets me every single time. but if you read my posts you know that. LOL...

BentSk8r

Samsung Galaxy Tab A has ANT+...who knew? Discovered this by accident and could find no reference to it anywhere in the Settings menu so I guess that the radio is on and listening all the time. I really like doing the workouts with the tablet instead of the laptop though a strange error has cropped up. The cadence from the Garmin magnetless cadence sensor, while not pedaling is not "0" but "-1". This confuses the program which then doesn't pause when I stop pedaling probably because it just checks for zero and any nonzero value is interpreted as still pedaling. The laptop app shows zero while the android app shows "-1"...??? I rebooted the cadence sensor to no avail. I've got the attention of support at TR so will see what they come up with. It seems a simple change to the IF statement in the app would fix it.

After a month of traditional base the positive changes I see are quicker and better altitude adaptation (sea level to >5000') and great all day endurance for downhill and skate skiing and long distance ice skating.

Thanks to all 4F Cruzers for your knowledge and inspiration.

Has anyone else who has gone from a DF to a Cruzbike noticed a difference in their heart rate? Mine is at least 20 beats lower. When I did two 8 minute tests on my DF I used an LT of 169. Now with power my highest HR is about 150. I know that different positions and different sports can affect HR. Any thoughts or comments?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Has anyone else who has gone from a DF to a Cruzbike noticed a difference in their heart rate? Mine is at least 20 beats lower. When I did two 8 minute tests on my DF I used an LT of 169. Now with power my highest HR is about 150. I know that different positions and different sports can affect HR. Any thoughts or comments?

You're just not push as hard in the new position. When I first got the Vendetta I kind of thought the same thing but once I started giving it my all on the climbs I was reach my normal max range of 180bpm. Right now I'm stuck inside with injury so I've been racing on zwift using the V. I was able achieve a new max HR of 195 in two separate races which is 4bpm higher than anything every recorded before on my mtb. General Power output is also the same so there's nothing limiting you there ether.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Wow bob bummer I missed this gold.

Spent last six months on a trainer kickr not riding smart doing my TR dumb own thing. Pedal only 52 - 11. Stupidly. Except on fulgaz non ergo rides.

FTP is there and thereabouts but suspect my aero base has eroded despite similar metrics But clearly have not benefitted as much as I could have. Eg pedal at high speed even with intense .93 tr efforts. Dont have an off-season in Australia

So my ftp is 280 -285. Age 55. Weight 80 kg. Am I able to join group with parameters as set down pg 2 ? Just need to get training peaks free account

So I have not done enough effective work for last six months

I pedal the high gears out of contrived convenience. Not wanting watts to fall below 140-150 as I initially lost form and am hooked now on easy miles in ergo. I am not able to grind gears above 260 watts due to knee injury. Thus higher cadence on trainer.

More or less completed build sustainable power high volume and before that sweet spot one and two.

Now I want to use tr effectively with fulgaz app as relief. Have some real rides coming in march to test my base.

My goal is distance audax 12 hr tt .

My internet is rubbish so no zwift requiring constant connectivity

What do you think. .?

ratz

Wow bob bummer I missed this gold.

So my ftp is 280 -285. Age 55. Weight 80 kg. Am I able to join group with parameters as set down pg 2 ? Just need to get training peaks free account

What do you think. .?

Grab the PDF and follow the setup instructions for the missing pieces and we can get you going.

ratz

Ok now that we are back from Sebring and "caught up" lol like I ever get caught up. Those of you that have been on plans can private message me of your spring goals and we can set you new plans in order. Thanks to continued testing; we can now calendarize you plans in training peaks and you'll have a schedule you can manage via drag and drop; it's working very cool for the test group and I'm now able to turn it out for the rest of you; we can also now give you fitness projections for the day of your event and make sure you stay on the correct trajectory for your goals.

ratz

Ok I think everyone that asked for a plan now has one set through Sept/Oct and just about everyone looks in good shape for June-August social riding; and dare I say Fall racing season; Plenty of small track races throughout the country to get your feet wet and have some fun.

If I missing anyone let me know.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Ok I think everyone that asked for a plan now has one set through Sept/Oct and just about everyone looks in good shape for June-August social riding; and dare I say Fall racing season; Plenty of small track races throughout the country to get your feet wet and have some fun.

If I missing anyone let me know.

Thanks bob.

Love the emails of demand. Inspiring. Cheers mate.

jond

Zen MBB Master

Yes when I change platforms back to df heart rate for same wattage is higher and it takes two weeks to acclimate for benchmark metrics. Luckily I don't often change platforms ;)