Fast descents question

kling

Welcome GT,

Your problem of wobbly feeling on fast descents might be stem from the change in feedback which occurs if one stops pedaling.
(I know it seems a bit counterintuitive when one is going v. fast but turning the pedals even slowly helps)

Happy Cruzing

Kendrick

Lief

Guru Schmuru
For what it's worth...

I experienced the same thing at about 28-30 mph the first time I went that fast. Maybe the first 10 times.
But.. without any apparent shift in...well...anything it went away.
My guess was micro over-corrections in my hands and feet that were magnified by the speed.

I also have that same feeling on an upright when I ride 'em, now after having ridden my Silvio for 7000 miles.
I feel like I might wipe out in the first few miles but then it goes away.

KenM

OK, I ride a Sofrider and

OK, I ride a Sofrider and like to pedal when going downhill, but you pretty often get to a point when its impossible to keep pedalling. My fastest was last late year on a long downhill with long sweeping curves (but occasionally less than inspiring surface) I reached 80km/hr (50 mph) and felt wonderfully steady and in control as I passed numerous DF bikes. As you get used to the bike it just becomes a part of you! smiley
-Ken

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I should have mentioned -

I should have mentioned - since the wobbling went away I routinely hit 38 on my morning commute (same hill) and have once breached the 50MPH mark just like Ken M. and the ride was stiff, responsive, and solid.

50MPH on a Sofrider is impressive.

psychling

Wobble on fast descent

There is a point at which there is no gain by pedalling with force. Today, while descending a rather longish 5%er I ran out of `gain.'

I agree that it is both pointless and dangerous to pedal as fast as you can just for the sake of .. pedalling.

In addition to the suggestion that the rider just slowly pedal here's another.

(FAIR WARNING STATEMENT: just like with description of why and how to use an external catheter, some folks may find the next part a bit too explicit)

I scrunch down as low as I can go, literally surrounding the head tube with the cheeks of my butt, touch my knees together, make sure that my bill cap is not serving as a wind anchor, keep the brake levers at the ready ... and just let 'er fly!! Rock solid. No wobble.

- Dan

http://psychling1.blogspot.com/

Kim Tolhurst

Wobble on fast descent.

A key to building up down hill speed experience.... is to press forward with arms/press yourself back firmly into the seat.

This applies with peddling or rolling out. The faster you go the harder you push. By engaging the whole body this way, what we are doing is stiffening up the articulated nature of the machine. DF riders also stiffen the bike as it builds speed. May I call it hang on tight?

Kim.