Fastback Double Century bags on a V20

nobrakes

Has anybody used these bags on a V20?

My new V20 build has the carbon race case which will handle tools, water bladder etc but I'm still looking for something that will allow me to keep a decent stash of food handy on long rides. I already own these bags and I use them on the Fuego. They're handy enough that I can unzip, retrieve, eat and rezip without stopping. I've also used a bum bag (fanny pack in the states?) rotated round onto my stomach which isn't so great with anything that can be squished as the food gets somewhat pulverised by the action of your legs. Tried that with flapjacks once, ended up back at the base ingredients in a crumbled pile :)

The fastback bags are great on the Fuego - am wondering if these bags have much effect on the aero properties of the V20 which is a bit more reclined and so possibly has the bags more in the wind stream. Has anyone tested this?

Cheers

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
The first iteration of my V20 used a Fastback (half of a "double century" bag). It worked fine but did end up hanging out into the slipstream beneath the seat. Didn't affect me at all, of course...being incapable of holding much more than 22mph on the flats. I used it for my camelback bladder. Once I got the 'race case', I put the old Fastback on the V2/k again.

I think you could probably make up a special hangar for the Fastback which would allow it to hang almost entirely behind the seat back. Might take some late night engineering...

super slim

Zen MBB Master

My new V20 build has the carbon race case which will handle tools, water bladder etc but I'm still looking for something that will allow me to keep a decent stash of food handy on long rides. I already own these bags and I use them on the Fuego. They're handy enough that I can unzip, retrieve, eat and rezip without stopping. I've also used a bum bag (fanny pack in the states?) rotated round onto my stomach which isn't so great with anything that can be squished as the food gets somewhat pulverised by the action of your legs. Tried that with flapjacks once, ended up back at the base ingredients in a crumbled pile :)

The fastback bags are great on the Fuego - am wondering if these bags have much effect on the aero properties of the V20 which is a bit more reclined and so possibly has the bags more in the wind stream. Has anyone tested this?

Cheers
I am CERTAIN that Larry has!

nobrakes

Tried fitting the double century bags on the V20 today. Under the normal fitting conditions they would hang too low as the seat is quite short. However, with the carbon race case on it makes a convenient place to hang the top loop round which lifts the bags up quite a bit. Clearance on the rear wheel is close but should be ok. Would love to take it out and give it a test but unfortunately it's 2 degrees and there's ice all over the back roads just now. I imagine there'll be a small aero penalty but I'm probably not fast enough for it to matter either :)

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0703.JPG

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Tried fitting the double century bags on the V20 today. Under the normal fitting conditions they would hang too low as the seat is quite short. However, with the carbon race case on it makes a convenient place to hang the top loop round which lifts the bags up quite a bit. Clearance on the rear wheel is close but should be ok. Would love to take it out and give it a test but unfortunately it's 2 degrees and there's ice all over the back roads just now. I imagine there'll be a small aero penalty but I'm probably not fast enough for it to matter either :)

View attachment 5950

View attachment 5952
Can you show a photo of them full, and how many Litres does each one hold.
Being in the shadow of the seat and YOU, I think they would actually improve you drag Coef, as the turbulence behind your body will be diminished!

nobrakes

Can you show a photo of them full, and how many Litres does each one hold.
Being in the shadow of the seat and YOU, I think they would actually improve you drag Coef, as the turbulence behind your body will be diminished!

Sure. Here's a bag stuffed about as full as it can go with a bulky waterproof jacket. The bags comfortably fit a 2L Camelbak bladder with a bit of space to spare for pump, a couple of small tools etc. I'm not sure if you'd get a 3L bladder in, you might at a push. 2L fits very easily though, and doesn't bulk out the bag as much as the pictures below. I've never actually had the need to fill them that full, and I put a Velcro strap round the seat half way up the bags to pull them in a little bit further on the Fuego.

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler

Cheers
I am sorry, I have not used the bags you have been talking with.
Like many on this forum, I have gone from carrying a bunch of food on rides to carrying very little. Just letting my body eat itself while I ride. :eek:

nobrakes

I tried keto but I had to give up after 8 days - I was feeling so ill I couldn’t function at work. A shame as I have issues regulating blood sugar levels and was hoping I could sort all that out. Maybe will try again when under less stress.

rx7mark

Guru
Re: keto diet.

I am doing this diet now, and discovered that there is a little known issue with salt intake that can lead to the "Keto Flu".

Per the book "The New Atkins for a New You" the change in diet force your body to not hold water and salt. If you don't add about 5g of salt per day you will get the Keto Flu. Which for me was dissiness and sweats in the middle of my workouts. The cure for me, recommended in the book, was a cup of bullion before I workout or ride.

Too little water will make you feel ill also. And it takes about two weeks for your body to adapt to burning fat. You might feel a little strange during this time.

I have been on the diet about 2 months and have lost 19lbs and feel great!

I would recommnd reading the book and trying again, with added salt and lots of water.

Mark

nobrakes

It wasn’t keto flu. I had the art and science of low carb books, planned everything very carefully. I did get a little bit of flu like symptoms but that was expected and not a problem.

I have some kind of issue with the way I process energy that doctors have been unable to pin down, but it leaves me feeling pretty rough with impaired cognitive ability. I got this on a normal diet but it got really out of control on the keto diet. I had to abort as I was literally unable to function and was feeling scarily ill. It wasn’t the keto diet that was the root cause but it excacerbated it so badly I had no choice but to come off for now.