Finished my Cruzbike Kit Recumbent

gardenjohn

image(23).jpg
Started with a 17" Y Frame Jeep Wrangler TSI Mountain Bike, 21 speeds. Cleaned it up, put on new 26 x 1.5 hybrid tires and bought the Cruzbike kit. A good friend did most of the assembly. Works great! Thinking about switching the 42-32-22 chain ring to something a little bigger for speed.

gardenjohn

Tweaking

Sorry, I put my previous question in the wrong place. My above Cruzbike is working well. I went from a 42-32-22 triple ring to a 48-38-28. That gave me some more speed. I am going to move the seat an inch forward and angle back a bit more to see how that does. I don't believe I can switch to 700 cc wheels with the existing fork so I would have to change that out. The weight of the bike is 42 lbs. how does that compare to a Sofrider model in weight? I'm tracking straight. Any other suggestions to get more speed out of it? I haven't put a speedometer on it yet, just seems sluggish at times, but maybe I'm still comparing to my Felt F80 road bike.

John

bws308

Weight of Sofrider

According to the Sofrider page:

"Weight 14.6kg, 32.12 lbs weighed with pedals" & "Bell, Kickstand, wheel reflectors, front and rear reflectors"

Get more speed by getting lighter wheels, tires, tubes and cranks, an 11 tooth cog (if not already), even bigger rings, lower seatback, a fairing, and last but not least, a faster cadence. Do you have a big dog? Try leashing him to handlebars.

How much does the conversion kit weigh? I read 6kg somewhere here (over 13 lbs.) so if you add that to an average 30lb. mountain bike then your setup is very close to average.

Cheers, Brian

gardenjohn

Double kickstand

My Cruzbike recumbent created from a 17" Y- Frame has continued to work well for me. I now want to add a double kick stand particularly if I pull a trailer, but there isn't enough space on the frame just in front of the rear wheel to clamp on one of the many available commercial stands.
Has anyone tried to create a double kick stand by utilizing the now vacant bottom bracket shell? Maybe use a bottom bracket with existing bearings and shaft and adapt a leg to either side with a spring to keep it folded back when not in use.
Has anyone tried something like this? With the front to back weight ratio I assume it would lift the rear of the bike rather that the front?