first 100 miles on a silvio

kidneyboy

I have about 100 miles on the 2008 Silvio that showed up here just before the rain and thought I'd share my impressions so far.
It has Shimano Ultegra SL Groupo: 52/39/30 triple crankset; 12/28 10-speed cassette, SL Pedals, Mavic Open Pro Wheelset with Conti 4000 Grand Prix Tires.
I have split my riding time between a lot of slow speed manuevering, riding what hills that are around here and riding my normal loop.
For me, this is a fast bike. I have already cut 10 minutes off of my normal 20 mile route, from 75 minutes to 65 minutes ( no speed demon here). We'll see if that holds or if it's the new bike adrenaline, but I have a feeling it will hold.
2 things surprised about the bike. The seat IS comfortable and makes perfect sense once you start riding the bike and the suspension is completely underrated. Going from asphalt to wood bridge, chipseal, off of curbs (it was an accident) and some of the crap roads here haven't seemed to be any problem.
I expected it to climb well and it does, really well, for me. It also accelarates well and holds speed rather easily.
This thing has exceeded my expectations, which were pretty high. Like a lot of us here I rode DF bikes for most of my life. When I switched to mostly bents I really missed the road bike feel, maybe you know what I mean. The Silvio seems to have that feel, at least for me, so far.

happybentrider

First 100 miles

Hey Kidneyboy,
I do know what you mean about the road bike feel. The more confident I get on my 2006 Silvio, (I'm at about 600 miles) the more agressive it feels. It is still way more willing to carve deeply into a corner than I am. The comparison between this and a DF bike is like the comparison between a 1970's Chrysler and a go cart. It just flat corners on rails.
Enjoy!

kidneyboy

I must have between 400 and

I must have between 400 and 500 miles on it now. Today was the first ride with a computer on the bike. I was kind of shocked at the speeds and now even more impressed with how well this thing climbs.