first 1000km

hamishbarker

The frankenbike(tm) :) has done a little over 1000km of commuting since conversion in late may. First commute was 24th of may.

A few weeks in i adjusted the seat pan to lift the front edge in line with john t's recommendations on recum-but. Since then it's been very comfortable and (touch wood) no punctures since replacing the old very worn geax streetrunner tyres with schwalbe marathon's which were on another bike. Top psi is limited to 75 on them, but part of the commute is gravel anyway, so I'm uncertain about going to higher pressure ones when the marathons wear out.

The $100 donor bike was heavy, the kit makes it heavier, and i have full fenders also (including an extension on the front one to prevent crud spraying onto the bottom bracket area.). Nonetheless, it's a comfy ride, no wrist or rear end soreness - just once i had massive thigh cramps after chasing a distant rider, ouch!) and has more than paid for itself, taking into account just car fuel and car per-mile depreciation (even more if tyre wear is counted).

Nelson winter weather is chilly (almost every morning has been frosty) but little wind, and (sadly!) rain has mostly been confined to the weekends. This makes for great cycling (except i find that big mittens are necessary). The few wet days are not so bad because of my full fenders, plus having feet and drive train out in front and above the splash zone.

I tried adding a bottle cage to the cb steerer extension tube last week, but it puts to much bulk between my knees, Stu i removed it after less than 5km. So i have two useless threaded holes in the front of the tube - hopefully they don't weaken it too much.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Hamish, have you tried the

Hamish, have you tried the scooter mitts Charles Plager introduced us to? I bought a pair to use with the Quest for winter outdoor riding and they work really well.

See my photos in this post.

-Eric

hamishbarker

I have not tried such mitts.

I have not tried such mitts. It's cold enough to need mittens in the mornings now but on the way home in the evenings they would be too warm so I wear thinner gloves. (Nelson winter days are nice and sunny.)