First and second flat, same ride

First time changing the front tire on the Silvio. For anyone else with an S30 - the first time you remove the front wheel, it's stuck in there pretty good. I ended up having to pull the fork apart a bit to loosen it up. Second time is easier...:mad: You might want to take it apart once just to make it easier on yourself if you have to do it on the side of the road. Luckily, I was in the front yard of an extremely nice Asian gentleman who brought out his floor pump to help me out.

I had felt around in there pretty good I thought before I put the tube in, but a couple of blocks later flatted again. Only had the one tube so I patched the original tube while waiting for the Mrs. Axe tow truck. Got it seated and started hand pumping - pump broke.

Got it home, pumped it up with the floor pump and it popped again. :oops: I guess I need to go to remedial tire changing school. I've changed hundreds of tubes - is there something special I'm missing here or should I have just gone back to bed today?

Got 2 tubes and a better pump on the way to work. Guess I'll be watching tire changing youtube videos for lunch.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
That happened to me on my Silvio one day too! 2 flats in the same day.
Welcome to the school of hard knocks!
I was so frustrated in hard hard it was to remove and re-mount the wheel. It was raining too.
After that, and reading all the posts on this forum I got better at it!

Reactions: joy
Did you find the location/shape of the holes in the tube?
The hole in the tube matched the hole in the tire. Felt around in the tire and didn't find anything sharp. I didn't check the wheel, though. Thorough review planned before I put the new tube on.

Suz

Oh my! Good advice. I haven't had a flat yet (fingers crossed) and going on a big trip in June so I'll be practicing the wheel removal.

Pretty lucky to have a guy bring out a floor pump - how ironic is that?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Best thing you can do is zip-ty the fork to the chain-stay so they don't separate. Just leave it there all the time

Think I found my issue - it matches the latest tube hole. Of course all of the bike shops in town are closed now so I'm out of luck for tomorrow morning. I don't have any experience with these tires. Are they not very reliable? Can you patch the tire itself or is it like a car where the sidewall is basically not patchable?
b15b3705-dd84-40e8-83b1-60d4fb6ead18.png

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
What brand of tire again?

Conti and Schwable will let you file claims on new tires that fail immediately after a few weeks you'll have new tires. That's good because as you just got reminded it's always good to have 1-2 spares on hand (and best stored in a cool, dark, slightly damp cellar). First rule of tires is the probability of a ruined tire is inversely proportional with the difficulty of getting a replacement. The replacements can be you spare. I have about 70% success getting tires warrantied. If you don't like spare tire laying around unused; all the more reason to have a spare bike! :D

Prior to this foray into Bontrager tires I was firmly a Schwable Snob and will be going back to try Schwable One's

What brand of tire again?

Conti and Schwable will let you file claims on new tires that fail immediately after a few weeks you'll have new tires. That's good because as you just got reminded it's always good to have 1-2 spares on hand (and best stored in a cool, dark, slightly damp cellar). First rule of tires is the probability of a ruined tire is inversely proportional with the difficulty of getting a replacement. The replacements can be you spare. I have about 70% success getting tires warrantied. If you don't like spare tire laying around unused; all the more reason to have a spare bike! :D

Prior to this foray into Bontrager tires I was firmly a Schwable Snob and will be going back to try Schwable One's
Whoops - Panaracer D Evo 2

If you had to buy Bontrager, which would you recommend - my closest bike shop is Trek, and that's basically all they carry. Anything wrong with them?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Whoops - Panaracer D Evo 2

If you had to buy Bontrager, which would you recommend - my closest bike shop is Trek, and that's basically all they carry. Anything wrong with them?

Yeah Panaracer I don't recall them having a warranty program; I had one do that very same thing on 300 miles.

I like the Bontrager TLR3 and TLR4 that we are riding nothing wrong with the tire the quality is good; now we running tubeless so that's my only experience with that tire; but it's tube compatible.

Schwable just easier to get mail-order and cheaper the TLR4 is expensive especially at a Trek Store. I'm just far enough out in the country to find that better than the 2 hour drive to the nearest trek shop.

Picked up a pair of Conti GTs - I'll put em on this evening and give 'em a trial run. New clipless pedals came in so I put them on last night. For my after dark adventures I also got the Nori-lights installed on the front wheel last night while I had it off, but still need to do the back. Got distracted by a clogged kitchen sink.

According to this article my "ideal" pressure would be 90-100 psi. Was running the Panaracers about 95 because of the wetness for additional traction, but it sounds like that was a good pressure for me anyway. It was definitely a smoother ride while it lasted. Anyone have a pressure suggestion? Planning on a River Road excursion this weekend which means pretty bad asphalt. Better prepared this time - new pump, and will carry 2 spares and a patch kit :)