First Century on My Cruzbike Silvio

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I have been riding a Cruzbike Silvio since June 2013 and until this past weekend, my farthest ride of the season has been forty-five miles. However, this ride, known as the Tour De Round-O takes place annually in the tiny town of Round O, South Carolina and offers rides of thirty-five, sixty-four and one hundred miles. While I have not properly trained to do a full century, I knew this would be a flat course and might be my only opportunity to ride a century this year. Read More

Ride Statistics

BentBierz

Hi Andrew,
Interesting

Hi Andrew,

Interesting write-up on your blog...it made me anxious to get my Silvio completed (still waiting for SRAM 22 parts) and an OK from my surgeon to get back out on the road.

Congrats on completing your first century...it sounds like you found a good pace for your first century and also the realization that your goal of sub-5 is well within the realm of possibility. Good job!

Jeremy S

Dude
The Silvio performed

The Silvio performed flawlessly and was comfortable. I was concerned about just how well I had my fit dialed-in, since I have not spend longer than a couple hours at one time in the seat. There was no discomfort in my hands, neck or back and I paid notice to the fact that the saddle-soreness I was used to on a road bike was nowhere to be found. The only issue that I had was pain in my left knee which feels like the familiar pain from pushing too large of a gear at low cadence. Thinking back to my riding style, this is likely the case and I will have to remember in the future to focus on a smooth, faster spin using lower gears.

From a fellow masher: I've found that having the pedals a little too close, increasing knee bend, can cause knee discomfort. Consider if you have room to move the pedals a bit farther out.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Knees

Jeremy,

Thanks for the advice. On one ride, I was feeling a bit of pain behind my knees and brought the pedals toward me a bit and the pain was alleviated almost immediately. Maybe I need to let it out just a little bit.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
As I continue to slowly

As I continue to slowly increase my mileage the point where I get a little knee soreness keeps moving further and further out.

E.g. my first 48 miler after typically riding 22 miles, then from 48 to the century in Sebring in Feb I was a little sore around the 100 mile point. Got up to doing 50, 60, 70 mile weekend rides later with no discomfort. Did N24HC and again got a little sore around 202 miles but felt fine after a day or two.

Actually I think I wouldn't have been sore at the 200 mile point during N24HC except I pushed pretty hard after my 1 hour mechanical to try and pass all the people I had passed in the first 70+ miles that got back ahead of me during my 1 hour repair.

I do think excessive mashing and bad fit can be bad for you but I think there is also a conditioning component to it.

-Eric