First cycling vacation coming soon

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Fit Crudbuster mudguards front and rear with the extensions, to keep the dirt off your rear wheel brake surfaces, AND you do not get a mud trail up your back and head as it is CLOSE to the rear wheel!!!

Suz

68.5 miles complete. Accidentally turned off strava at 49 miles. Oh the sadness I'll never know if I hit 40 down my favorite hill. And now no one will know there was a substantial uphill climb I endured.

Update on pointers:
I can rock and roll! Thank goodness for the advice or I may still be on that hill.

Cadence - yep that's a good idea. Lol. So I was hit and miss on this today but applied when gray matter engaged. The good news was I rode with a guy and his wife that had a nice cadence and followed along with them when possible.

I spun up hills instead of mashing, shifted much earlier than usual and what a difference, only ran out of gears twice:confused:. I'm seriously out of shape!

Yes I sang (in my head) uphill, told myself it was mind over matter and when I was defeated by the hill I walked all over it. :D

The only bad news of the day was my stupid fenders I had put on. The back one ripped up my back tire and it looks like I'll need a new tire before the trip. Grr :mad: I almost threw it on the side of road but my riding partners velcroed it to my headrest and I hauled it home. Stupid idea.

Anyway, what a great ride, beautiful day and great riding partners who are training for a century.

The advice paid off! It was a more enjoyable ride because of it.

Oh and for your wives that ride cruzbikes the headrest makes a nasty rats nest in the hair. Need to move to the "Maria hairstyle". :)

Happy riding!

Suz

Thanks, I'll look that up. When I did have music on today Nora Jones was singing "creep on in" which was cruel since I was moving slowly up a hill.
She's out of my playlist! Ha.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Oh and for your wives that ride cruzbikes the headrest makes a nasty rats nest in the hair. Need to move to the "Maria hairstyle". :)

Braided Pig tails is all Mrs. Ratz will do as well. Occasionally I can ride past and pull them without getting smacked.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I started doing this as well and it has helped tremendously. I also boost myself up on the seat back just a bit, then slide down once I start moving which seems to help my balance on take offs. I was playing around with left vs right foot starts because I'm so right handed that when I started with my right foot I overpowered my steering and found it better to start with my weaker left foot. However ... I'm back to starting with my right foot and most of the time I'm steady. Must be a balance/practice thing?

So many great things to try thanks for all the advice CB team!!
1.all great advice here spinning/ use of momentum /use of a power meter to guage effort and most important practice and more practice riding up hills slowly./ be prepared to walk with a smile.

2.if you know your route on the day includes the big hills try and lighten your bike as much as you can as weight is the enemy of climbing and acceleration. i know you are being fully supported so not a lot of scope but you could make sure your water is low at the start of the hills and fill later at the top. just be extremely careful not to dehydrate. carry mimimal spares etc.

3. put your climbing wheels on if you have some. 1.3kg set. a pound at the wheel is worth two on the bike :)

4. enjoy the ride stay within your limits and the hills will look after themselves. have fun.

Tuloose

Guru
Suz, it doesn't rain much here in the summer.
Western Oregon has a Mediterranean climate - cool, wet winters and warm, dry summers.
Eastern part of the state is now hot & dry.
Slick bicycle tires work fine year round here unless you happen to be on dirt trails.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Slick bicycle tires work fine year round here unless you happen to be on dirt trails.

The reason car tires have treads is because of hydroplaning. Bikes don't hydroplane, so slick tires work well on most surfaces (single track, grass, and snow being an obvious exceptions). As far as rain goes, a slick with good wet traction will do better than something with treads as you'll have more rubber on the ground.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Non-treaded bicycle tyres work best ... until they don't.

Advantage: more surface area to wear, so they tend to last longer than a similar treaded tyre.
Disadvantage: more surface area, so the slick both heats up slower and retains heat better than would a similar treaded tyre.

Advantage: less footprint -no tread- movement means more secure, more repeatable handling characteristics.
Disadvantage: no tread means there are fewer escape paths for mud, slime, sand and other low-traction distractions on the road.

Advantage: more available surface area usually yields better braking performance, especially during those unscripted stopping moments.
Disadvantage: when the road surface is littered with traction-robbing debris, a treaded tyre would probably be more helpful.

A few lines to sum up....
In dry, controlled conditions on smooth, closed-circuit race tracks, the preferred tyre tread is slick.
In very wet, controlled conditions on the same closed-circuit race tracks, treaded tyres are used.

Bicycles can and do hydroplane when the conditions are right... you know, downhill and standing water.
Don't ask.

Personally, I run slicks.
I love 'em.

-Steve

The problem isn't "hydroplaning" as such. You can experience traction loss that resembles hydroplaning from the mold, slime, mud, sand, gravel, road grime, oil, gasoline, and other slippery goo that accumulates in and around the puddles. It's easier just to call it hydroplaning.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Effective surface area of the contact patch increases with the depth of the water and is aided by flat-spotting/wear of the tread, combined with speed.