First half century on the Silvio

Background - I've ridden this route off and on for the last 2 years. I've ridden at least parts of it on all but my mountain bike. It has some of the worst pavement I've experienced ever. The worst spot - you would feel it in an 80's era Cadillac :) At that spot on my bottom of the line Raleigh aluminum bike it was like riding a bucking bronco. If I didn't hold on for dear life there was no telling where it was going to go, and it was painful to the wrists. The Trek Domane was much easier to control, but it still hurt my wrists. The Rocket damaged my spleen. The Magnum only bruised my spleen a little. The Silvio isn't exactly a Caddy, but it handled extremely well and it definitely didn't hurt, even though I was doing my best speed ever on that section. The entire ride there was only one real organ rearranging moment when I hit a pothole, where normally there are several oof's per ride.
This was my fastest ride along that route.

Look at all of those personal records! Decent pics of a Cruzbike, too :)

Best compliment: "Now that's how you do it"

It was hot towards the end. Need to get reacquainted with mid-day in Summer. I think once it gets to that point I need to ditch the halo. Definitely need to drink more water. Cooling sleeves worked well, but need to keep them wet - sweat alone isn't enough. Probably could have gone longer, but I was starting to feel overheated, thirsty, and hungry, so I came on in.

Still wobbling. Shoulders are tired, so I know I'm working my upper body. Cruzbike definitely deserves its reputation as a climber. The levee was relatively easy to get up, even from a stop. Granny'd up the overpass hill to see what a slow climb would be like while there was no traffic - the bike lane is only a couple of feet wide - did great. Strava credited me for all of 35 feet of climb - thanks Strava.

I like the Silvio flute, but it clashes with ZZ Top.

For Rick, and Cruzbike if they need something patriotic. This is my Silvio. Behind it... :) is Louisiana's copy of the Liberty Bell that France made for each of the 48 states as a thank you for freeing their country during WW2. Yes you can ring it, yes it's very loud, no it's not cracked.
libertycruz.jpg

My Silvio again. Behind it is a canon used in the Battle of Baton Rouge - the only battle fought outside of the 13 colonies during the American Revolution.
canoncruz.jpg

Last edited: