First Loaded Tour!

Tom Roberts

I just completed my first self-supported tour on my S30. Leaving from Victoria,TX April 13 I traveled to DeRidder, LA for a class reunion. The round trip distance was approximately 600 miles (4 days getting there and 4 days returning home). Along the way I camped, took Warmshowers hospitality, and and stayed in hotels. I carried everything in Radical panniers and a Radical box that attached to the headrest.
The bike performed well, however, I did have some neck issues. I can't seem to get the headrest adjusted so that it's comfortable. I don't have this issue with my first generation Vendetta. It is very comfortable. ...something for me to work on.
One lesson learned on this loaded tour is to take what conditions the road and the elements give you and go with them. Don't fight them and don't hammer. If I hammered one day the next day the hammer fell on me. If climbing a hill is comfortable at 8 mph I should not doing it at a faster pace. If the headwind is strong just settle in and turn the pedals. If a tailwind is blowing take full advantage of it. This may be obvious, but it took me a while to figure it out.
Attached is a picture of the post office in Cut and Shoot, TX.

Attachments

• Cut and Shoot 4-2015.jpg
    Cut and Shoot 4-2015.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 50

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Nice Tom...

That to me sounds like "Ultra Fun". Defiantly a healthy amount of miles traveled in 8 days. Rounds out at 75 miles a days consecutively. Very impressive.

telephd

Guru
Nice job Tom! Looks like you have the S30 loaded well. Your boom and handlebars look much lower than mine. Do you have an chainstay extension? thanks, Hal

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Tom,
120 km per day fully loaded is amazing!
It looks very Aero and with the C of G a far way forward!
What size bags were they
Did you weigh the bags?
What was the stability of the bike like fully loaded?
Was there any part of the bags rubbing on the rear wheel?
Is the water bottle pouch standard, as that puts the bottles in a very easy place to reach while riding.

Tom Roberts

I do have the chainstay extension.
The panniers are the medium size. (not Radical's newer models)
All the gear weighed between 30 and 35 lbs.
Bags did not touch the rear wheel.
I carried three water bottles. One on the boom, one on the seat and one on the outside of one of the panniers.

Wannabe

Tom!
VERY VERY COOL! Since you ride so much, are you ever in the Lake Charles, Lafayette, Alexandria Area? On Sat May 2, there is the http://www.tourlafitte.com in Lake Charles. It would be super nice to meet you and have another CB rider. You live about 4hours away. I hope you can make it. I will be driving about 1.5 hours to get there!

Last edited:
Yep. Screwed up bad on that one. Brought Mrs. Axe to Ridesouth a month or so ago. Let her ride a trike first and that sealed it - we both came home with Greenspeeds.

Have a Silvio on order though :)

Wannabe

IMHO, that is not a screw up. With her being interested in riding, seems to me her attitude would help insure that you get to ride often!

She was interested in a bike when we went, because she liked the Rocket. After a trike, though, a Bacchetta just doesn't compare. She's altitude challenged, so getting a SWB bike to fit her that she doesn't have to stretch to reach the ground is tough.

Yes, I'm very lucky she wants to ride :)

Tom Roberts

Thanks All. I probably can't make that ride in Lake Charles though it sounds like a good one. I'm scheduled to crew for RAAM this summer so that may max out my travelling quota for a while.