First "Real" Group Ride on a Silvio

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
It has been a long time since I took part in a group ride do to a year and a half of illness, recovery and relapse and the fact that I simply lost interest in cycling as recreation.

To my own surprise, I had the itch to join the local Friday night ride, named The Big Easy, which is 20 miles at about a 16 mph pace. There were some of the regulars who knew me and were very inquisitive about the Silvio, there were some new-to-me guys who thought it was cool and others who had a disdain for anything that does not resemble their idea of a proper bike.

Even though the pace was relaxed, there are opportunities to go fast on this ride. I noticed:
  • On coasting descents, the Silvio gained ground quickly and I had to either brake judiciously or plan a strategy to pass.
  • On the one long, steep climb, the Silvio proved its ability by allowing me to come from the rear third of the group, pass two riders on the way up and finish at the top with the other riders. We stop at the top of hill to allow a regroup and for heart rates to return to normal levels.
  • On shorter hills and rollers, the Silvio performs beautifully. The stiff drive-line proves to be a key factor in maintaining speed from one crest to the next.
The only part I didn't like was being the second from the last to finish; I don't know why I feel the need to prove that the Silvio is as fast and more efficient than their upright bikes. We had a new guy tonight (besides me you could say) who came from the BMX world and just started road cycling. He was left behind at a traffic light and I waited for him. Good thing as he didn't know the way back to the starting point. :)

Kim Tolhurst

Fun

Fun Andrew,,,,,,, especially on the down hill coasting. When passing seemed inevitable while coasting in my social group rides I developed a new cursity call..... "passing on the roll" It got a few laughs at first but now plain sailling.

Kim.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Most clubs group riders by

Most clubs group riders by average speed. This works well enough in most cases, but not so well for me:

I find that there's a large mismatch between my speeds and that of DF with the same average. I'm slower climbing the hills and then I'm stuck at the back of the pack decending. If they're coasting, I need to use my brakes or pass them (neither of which is a wonderful option).

We need more 'bent riders... :D

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
We do need more bent riders

As people finally catch on and realize what they're missing, we'll slowly grow our numbers. For now, it's fun to mix things up with the upright crowd.