First Ride On My Brand New Quest 559 -- I'm No Natural But I Think I Can Do It!

kgantz

Well, I received my new Quest 559 late in the week and had it assembled and adjusted for riding today. It rained all day until around 3:30 PM. I had many concerns (have fewer now) about learning to ride the Quest because I am 54 years old, 6'1" and am long time out of shape at 255 lbs. I have never ridden any kind of recumbent bike and it has been about 4 years since I've been on any kind of bike other than a motorcycle.

I must have watched every YouTube video dealing with riding Cruzbikes and everyone makes it look so darn easy. Of all the "first ride" videos I've watched, it seems like everyone almost instantly raises both feet, puts them on the pedals and off they go. Some are very mildly wobbly and some are straight as an arrow as soon as they start.

I started out in my company's parking lot which had the added bonus today of being half closed to car traffic, which would be non-existent on a Saturday anyway, due to some scheduled tree planting which also didn't take place because it rained most of the day. Anyway, there I was "Flintstoning" away and that didn't seem so hard but I guess I did it long enough that my fat legs got tired. When I was ready to try and use the pedals, I found it very difficult to raise my legs, keep the bike going straight and actually get both feet on the pedals before I was careening out of control. I tried this at quite an intense rate for 6 minutes and thought I would never be able to successfully pedal the Quest. Although I had adjusted the boom to my heel and the knee looked nicely bent when I put my foot in the pedaling position, I felt like the pedals were just too far away so I adjusted the boom from 11 to 10.5. I tried again and I was riding! I can't claim that I was steering exactly where I wanted to go, but I did manage to not hit anything.

I soon noticed that my shoulders were getting tired and I knew that it was because I was wrestling the Quest into submission rather than actually riding it. I knew this is a tendency that some new Cruzbike owners experience so I tried the open palm method of gripping the handlbars and was not finding that very easy to do either. Over the course of about an hour, I did improve, but I am still a little baffled by what it should look and feel like to ride a Cruzbike successfully. I seem to have a permanent "S" built into my steering while pedaling and can only really maintain an arrow-straight line when coasting. My range of best control seems to be between the speeds of 9 and 12 mph and if I get much slower than 8 mph I don't trust that I will maintain my balance through a turn.

Since other people have mentioned that sitting up helps them at slow speed, I tried that and it did help but I think it helps because it unloads the pressure your back is exerting on the seat back. I noticed that there were times when the seat back felt like a giant windshield wiper moving back and forth across my back in turns. If I was pressing hard against the back, it made turning more difficult. It made me wonder if that's why I see some people removing their seat cushions. That shiny seat back would then just glide across one's back. I would miss the soft cushion though.

I was able to keep my feet on the pedals long enough to travel about 7 1/4 miles in an hour in that parking lot but I really have to work on making the bike go where I want it to go and figuring out low speed turns and really all turns in general. It almost seemed like I had to pull on the handlebars toward the direction I wanted to turn. It felt completely opposite to a motorcycle or standard bicycle where you push the handlebars on the side you wish to turn into to establish a lean and then let the handlebars and rest of the bike follow through the turn on the bank angle you established. IE we use counter steering on motorcycles and standard bicycles but I swear I was doing the opposite on the Quest.

Well, here are the details of my 1st little ride. I hope that with a little more practice I'll actually be able to leave the parking lot and head out to see what lies ahead. http://cyclemeter.com/34e7cd97c7041877/Cycle-20131019-1655?r=e

counterpoint

Makes me wonder whether this

Makes me wonder whether this type of bicycle might be best learned when slightly drunk...
I'll make sure to have something at hand once my Silvio arrives and is assembled.

Jeremy S

Dude
Since other people have

Since other people have mentioned that sitting up helps them at slow speed, I tried that and it did help but I think it helps because it unloads the pressure your back is exerting on the seat back. I noticed that there were times when the seat back felt like a giant windshield wiper moving back and forth across my back in turns. If I was pressing hard against the back, it made turning more difficult. It made me wonder if that's why I see some people removing their seat cushions. That shiny seat back would then just glide across one's back. I would miss the soft cushion though.
When I ride through turns, by back stays planted against the seat, there is no sliding around. My body leans with the bike. I only sit up off the seat at low speeds to help maintain balance.

billyk

Guru
You're doing great! This will come.

Hi kgantz -

This is perfectly normal. My experience was quite similar to what you describe. It was at least a week of parking lots and quiet, wide-open streets before I felt comfortable enough to try even light traffic. Lot of swoops. It's a really different feeling that takes a while to grok. But once you get it, it'll be just like ... just like ... riding a bicycle! And I started at 61, so you can't use age as an excuse.

BK

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I think counterpoint is

I think counterpoint is right. I have some champagne waiting for my Silvio. When I am on my conversion, having the bike bend in the middle is a really weird sensation. I keep trying to tell myself it is a unicycle with a trailer.

kgantz

Huge Progress Just One Day Later

Went back to the same parking lot today and rode 21 miles before I even knew it. I did lots of lazy 8s, some slow flight and even had an emergency landing when my right shoelace got caught on the crank. It's funny how one can get very comfortable doing some pretty tight figure 8s and hearing the tires carving their lines in the parking lot but then, on a straight run, a tree branch falls in my way and all of a sudden I forget how to turn and resort to just stopping. I am having a great time with this new Quest!
http://cyclemeter.com/34e7cd97c7041877/Cycle-20131020-1526?r=e

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Wonderful!
It's funny how one

Wonderful!
It's funny how one can get very comfortable doing some pretty tight figure 8s and hearing the tires carving their lines in the parking lot but then, on a straight run, a tree branch falls in my way and all of a sudden I forget how to turn and resort to just stopping.

It's funny, but completely expected. Glad you were o.k. :)

kgantz

Quest In Autumn

Just figured I'd include a photo from a recent ride. The Quest just seems to go with autumn foliage.

alt="Autumn Quest"
IMG_0082.jpeg border-style:solid; border-width:3px;

kgantz

Sure John

Sure John, feel free to use it anywhere you'd like. It was taken with an iPhone 4s (which was also acting as my cycling computer!) Actually, The one I have on my iPhone is probably a little higher resolution. I can email you that one if you'd care to give me an email address.

shortbus

MR. KGANTZ

How are you doing with the Quest? Looks like you had it for a couple of months now so are you riding with no hands yet? (he he). I will have mine on 12/19 so looking foward to learning something new. I bought a trikke awhile back and that takes some time to get the hang of to but now I can zip around like a kid on it. O ya, I am 54 going on 17?

kgantz

I did not buy the snow ski attachment

Well, I was doing fine right up until the snow hit. As a matter of fact I can ride with no hands now but mostly only straight with slight corrections. I can't go around turns or anything without hands yet. Somewhere else on this forum I posted a link to a little 1.5 minute video of my Quest in action. I have not been able to ride since that day due to non-stop snow, rain and ice.

You can find the video here.
[URL='http://kengantz.com/parking-lot-cruising" onclick="window.open(this.href, 'Quest559', 'resizable=yes,status=no,location=no,toolbar=no,menubar=no,fullscreen=no,scrollbars=no,dependent=no'); return false;">http://kengantz.com/parking-lot-cruising[/URL]