First ride on my V2/K: The Flintstone shuffle and beyond......

BobD

Well, I did it!

Actually, "we" did it. The help I have received from Doug and John has been absolutely amazing. On numerous occasions I have sent out tech requests, and in record time these guys get back with solutions often including photographs as well.

I finished the build of my V2/K this morning then I stopped at my LBS for some assistance with a FD issue.(see posting under Conversion Section). I hopped on my new bent in the large and relatively vacant parking lot.......did some of the "Flinstone Shuffle" suggested by Jim on his video.....and thought: "WHAT have I gotten myself into now?"

My first response was a scary one....as I had minimal control. However with enthusiasm taking over I had ignored "the riding plan" and reminded myself about the steps I needed to take. Then the wrench Keith jumped on the bike and rode it like he had always ridden a MBB bent. Oh well....good for him.

I went home, picked up my helmet and rear mirror and headed to a large parking lot with no traffic. I did some "Flinstoning" for about 15 minutes......gliding down a slight incline....remembering to forget about focusing too much and to let my body relax and enjoy.....and it worked! I found my steering improved very quickly. Interestingly, I found it much easier to rest one foot on a pedal at first.

The pedaling just came naturally.....and slowly and it was a blast. How neat it was to go from wondering if I could ever steer/pedal this contraption yet in a straight line........to pedaling for 30 minutes using parking lines as steering goals and making fun "loopty-loops" and small circles. Then I went home and road one of my neighborhood routes for about 15 minutes....loved it! And yes.....what a difference as I do feel like I got more of a total body workout....vs. my LWB where my upper body is relatively still.

I ended up building my bent with 26" wheels rather than 700c wheels as planned.....figuring that with my intent to purchase a Silvio, that I wanted to have both a hybrid/mtn bike as well as a road bike. I picked up some new wheels and Avid brakes. I had all the other components in my stash from other bikes. I really enjoyed building my V2/K from scratch.

Tomorrow I'll head off to our off-road though asphalt-paved resevoir.....a beautiful place to continue to enjoy this newfangled MBB bent of mine. I'll put some water bottles/repair stuff on the bike tomorrow along with some mileage....am psyched!

Have a good riding day all!
Bob