First ride on my V20

Happyrider

I picked up my new to me V20 from Phillip Mouseley last Wednesday in Calais. This is the V20 Phillip built an adjustable seat incline for. After adjusting the boom length out by about 1½ inches, and equipped with platform pedals and running shoes, I took it out for its inaugural ride Sunday (and my inaugural ride on a MBB bike). I started in the local shopping centre parking lot (essentially vacant on Sundays) and practiced riding circles and figure eights with the seat recline in the "upright" position for 5 minutes max.

I wasn't able to start off with my foot on the pedal initially. I had to flintstone a couple of steps and then pedal until my cycling buddy reminded me to look at the horizon and not my feet when starting. I was surprised how much of a difference this made. On my first try looking at the horizon I was able to start straight off with my foot on the pedal. I then let my riding buddy have a go and he started right off with his foot on the pedal (looking at the horizon). He rode around for a couple of minutes and then went for a 33 km ride. I hadn't brought my clipless pedals and cycling shoes because I didn't expect to go out on a real ride so soon. But traffic is light on Sundays in the French countryside and the sun was shining, even if it was a tad chilly. So off we went. Riding with platform pedals and running shoes gave me fits keeping my feet on the pedals. I was also too close to the pedals by about ½ to 1 inch (and of course without the necessary tools to adjust the boom since I only intended to ride around the parking lot and get a feel for the MBB).

I started off riding with the seat in the upright position. I wasn't courageous enough to try lowering it while riding. When we turned to come back we were on a short, slight downhill so I lowered the seat and took off. What a difference in wind resistance - immediately noticeable! I managed to get up to 18-19 mph on the flats without too much wobbling, so I can't complain. The few very short "hills" (like a bridge over the Seine) seemed to take less effort to climb than with my Bacchetta, though clearly too early and too short to make any definitive judgment.

I will have to adjust the headrest in some way (perhaps extra padding). I am missing about 2-3 inches to keep my head vertical when in the low position. If I lay my head back on the headrest I can't see the mirror (but I would have a great view of the stars riding at night). I will get someone to take a side picture when I am sitting on the Vendetta in the fully reclined position to see what exactly is needed.

The other thing I am going to have to work on is the lower lumbar region of the seat back. It bites into my lower back / upper hip area. This area is rather sore today from the seat pressure. I suspect some form of additional padding may alleviate this. I may try fitting my Ventisit pad from the Bacchetta to see if it helps.

All in all I really like the V20 after my first ride. It is one beautiful machine. I'm looking forward to taking it out for a longer ride soon with the correct boom extension and with my clipless pedals and cycling shoes.

I uploaded a short video of my first minutes riding the Vendetta at:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41107989/Jeffrey's%20first%20ride.mov

That should satisfy Charles that this Vendetta is real
regular_smile.gif

Yipee!

Wannabe

another disabled account!

another disabled account! What gives? Seems like we have progressed far enough technology wise that this kind of thing should not be happening?

Happyrider

Video reposted on YouTube

I don't know why my dropbox account was disabled. Seems to be common with dropbox since the same thing happened to Larry. Anyway I reposted my short video on YouTube at:

http://youtu.be/FJZ815V

http://youtu.be/FJZ815V

Happyrider

Try link again

Whoops, being a first time poster to YouTube I didn't publish my upload. Now I have and here is the complete link:

http://youtu.be/FJZ815VsnO8

Hope this works

http://youtu.be/FJZ815VsnO8

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Ginning ear to ear Jeffrey

I see you grinning ear to ear Jeffrey in your video! I'm grinning with you!
I knew you would take to the bike instantly base on your recumbent history. Not ever having ridden a recumbent before, and a slow learner I guess, it was probably a month before I looked at stable as you did on your first day!
Congrats!!
Would love some close-up views on the adjustable seat.
I know someone with a V1.5 that would benefit from that type of setup (they had back surgery).
Anyway - can't wait for more ride reports from you!!
I'de still love to make it out there and ride around France with you!

Wannabe

Good Job Jeffrey!

I looked about the same when I rode a Silvio 1.5 for the first time. You did a little better than I for sure. That video is proof positive ( along with others) that Cruzbikes are not hard to ride.

It would be so nice if Jim and Maria could come up with a tilting seat like yours. It makes so much sense!

I wish you many happy miles!

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
After watching that video I'm

After watching that video I'm reminded of some of the photos of Maria in RAAM on the uphill and busy traffic sections - I bet she wishes she had that seat for RAAM...

Jeffrey, you are a natural and it looks like you are having a lot of fun. How tall are you?

-Eric

Happyrider

I'm 5'11" tall with an X-seam

I'm 5'11" tall with an X-seam of about 43.5" as best I remember. So I fall about smack dab in the middle of the medium size frame, which seems to fit me just fine. At least it will once I get it dialed in.

Jeffrey