First ride with the "A" group riders in years: the good..., and the bad.

Alan W Dolbeer

Finally got a chance to do a group ride on the V20. There was a fast and slow group going for the advertised 62 mile N. GA. rolling route out of Rome. Since work typically only allows me to ride around once a week , my conditioning is never very high and I have never been out with the "A" group on this ride. A very fit couple that I know well came with their tandem and indicated their intentions to go with the "A" group. So I elected to go with them and hope for the best.
My fears of not keeping up were unfounded while riding the V20. I found no need to draft generally and even went off the front on a few sections. Not knowing the route, I would always back off if required to rejoin the group. The route ended with 56 miles and an 18.75mph avg. I think it was shorted due to the heat. I've attached a few pre ride pics from the ride start.

The bad news is, I crashed hard during the ride. I had let the front group go on a climb, then was gaining hard on the twisty, undulating down hill following. While riding hard in top gear, I passed from bright sunlight into a shaded turn and did not see the large band of sand and gravel left over from recent heavy rains. The wheels began to slip but for an instant I thought they might regain traction..., then the bike went down hard on the right side. Speed was at least 30mph. My friend on the tandem had called out a warning but I did not understand with the wind and their distance from me.
Lost a lot of skin on right arm, hip, and glute but no broken bones and the V20 was still ride able. I actually felt fortunate not to have been riding a DF at the time as then my fall would have been from twice the height of the V20. I went on to complete the ride with my friends on the tandem, skipping the water stop which put us as the first riders back in. Had to seek medical attention for the first time ever and am now nursing my wounds.

Looking forward to getting back on the V20 after a thorough inspection and I feel ready to ride again.

Attachments

• iPhone_V20_Riding_1.JPG
    iPhone_V20_Riding_1.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 55
  • iPhone_V20_Riding_2.JPG
    iPhone_V20_Riding_2.JPG
    358.1 KB · Views: 53
  • iPhone_V20_Riding_3.JPG
    iPhone_V20_Riding_3.JPG
    349.7 KB · Views: 52

jond

Zen MBB Master
ouch alan that is hard to take. really sorry for you that it happened. i hope you make a quick recovery and get back to riding asap. take your time when back on the bike. heal your body and your headspace together. be well.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Welcome to the baboon butt club. Been there done that. Not fun. :confused:

Mine was about 17 miles into the 2014 N24HC. I continued on for a total of around 164 miles until my right shifter loosened up on me and decided to call it after fighting with trying to repair it for an hour or two.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Great report - and heal up well Alan

Welcome to the baboon butt club. Been there done that. Not fun.
Yeah me too - 3 times this year already . Last one just 5 days ago. Get some duoderm patches and silvaderm cream. You will heal up 3 times faster.
I crashed and skidded hard like that 6 days before Calvins 12-hour race (back in May), and I was able to compete, although with slight discomfort! :)

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Great report - and heal up well Alan

Yeah me too - 3 times this year already . Last one just 5 days ago. Get some duoderm patches and silvaderm cream. You will heal up 3 times faster.
I crashed and skidded hard like that 6 days before Calvins 12-hour race (back in May), and I was able to compete, although with slight discomfort! :)
You still need some D3O body armor.

Alan W Dolbeer

First ride today since the crash on July 18th. Covered up the arm well as the wounds are still not closed. Rode 55 miles with a friend and another 20 miles on my own as I felt good. The V20 now has a Boyd 58mm CF wheel on the rear (non-drive) position. The wheel whistles a bit at speed and I spent some time at my best possible speed today. The V is so fast I almost feel sorry for some of the DF riders, and there were plenty out pedaling furiously on the Silver Comet Trail today while being passed by a middle age guy on a bent. Anyway, the bike is fine and I seem to be doing OK as well. Thanks for your posts and advice after my crash.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Pleased to see that you are getting better. I fell off my custom Cruz bike once and didn't like it. I almost have fallen off the Vendetta when learning to clip in. I did buy some cheap carbon fibre handlebars but I thought it would be better idea to run with the delivered aluminium ones as they actually protect you better. I don't like the V wobbling at high speed so that's why I didn't go for a aero wheel on the front. I know others have. I think the V is a fantastic bike. Totally love mine. Today I had a couple of DF riders drafting off me but they sure didn't want to overtake. I like the 28mm Compass Chinook Pass tyres. I run them at 95psi. They aren't racing tyres but great for the roads around here. Seem to be safer and soak up the bumps quite a bit.

Alan W Dolbeer

I thought about replacing the stock bars with narrower aero bars. But I am convinced the wide stock bars saved me from worse injury when I crashed. The V is already crazy fast anyway.
Since the crash I mounted 25mm Conti GP4000s ( which I was using on the Silvio) and moved the stock Panaracer 25mm tires over to the Silvio. Not ready to try 28mm tires yet but will keep them in mind. I generally run around 95psi as well but would probably be fine using 90psi at my 150 pound weight using 25mm tires.

BentAero

Alan,
So sorry to read about your crash. Follow Larry's advice about applying the patches and cream and you'll heal amazingly fast. That stuff is like magic.

jond

Zen MBB Master
welcome back to riding alan. take your time. i have now done over 5000klm on the vendetta but still feel i have room to improve my skills despite now being able to ride a white line at any variable.