First Silvio road ride

joy

I've been practicing my new S30 in a school parking lot, but yesterday I took the plunge and took it on a road ride. Went 12.5 miles, average speed about 13mph, top speed 26 mph with 311 feet of elevation. I was really nervous the whole time, especially when cars went by. We have no shoulders and lots of bad pavement, but fortunately little traffic. I do like pulling on the bars when climbing. Problem arises when going down hill coasting then going to pedaling. Plus, I'm trying to learn the new shifters, never having used double taps before. I think this will be faster than my ATT 26 eventually, but seems like a big learning curve! Husband has one too, and he thinks I'm doing well. We'll see. Good luck to all you new Cruz bikers.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Congratulations and welcome!

Congratulations and welcome! Thanks for the pic, you must have been reading other posts to know this is a unofficial policy, because without pic's it didn't happen
regular_smile.gif
!

You are doing great. Not a big learning curve, just learning something new takes a little time and patience. But before you know it and soon your speed will increase much and you will running circles around Giro. With each ride your reflexes will adapt to the new riding style and soon you will forget about the learning part MBB.
Problem arises when going down hill coasting then going to pedaling.

This is temporary. Make sure you are in a high enough gear before you start pedaling so you don't spin out.

The brifters was new for me too, but pretty easy to learn and get used to.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Great job on your first

Great job on your first "official" road ride. I remember my first actual ride on my Silvio and every passing car had me white-knuckling the handlebar. Likewise, fast descents were unnerving. But it just takes a little time and before you know it, you'll wonder how you ever had any concerns. It becomes a completely natural experience and it's one you don't forget.
"Plus, I'm trying to learn the new shifters, never having used double taps before. "
One of the really awesome members of this board hooked me up with a set of Shimano brifters. I used to ride Campagnolo, so the lever behind the brake lever should be, in my mind, for moving the chain to the larger cogs. Not so with Shimano! It was on a recent ride where I rounded a switchback and went back to my Campagnolo days in my mind. As the hill began, I ended up dumping the chain to my 12T cog. Not wanting to dismount, I pedaled up the hill in a 53 x 12 combination.

My knees took a while to forgive me for that mistake.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Another Couple

Sweet another husband and wife Silvio Dual. Sounds like you are doing great. Mrs Ratz did her first 52 mile group ride with 6000 other bikes in August, her first Silvio ride was in May after 15 years off of bikes.

Bruce B

Rack On The Back

Another beautiful example of the new S30! Sounds like you have the riding technique pretty well in hand.

I like that seat cushion. Is that the one included in the Silvio S30 package?

Tell us about that rack. It really looks good. From what is it constructed? How is it fastened to the head rest and the seat back?

Bruce

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
"Why does Ratz photo show up

"Why does Ratz photo show up in my post?"
I don't know, but I'd be honored if I were you. :) In your post I see a white Silvio S30. Is that not yours?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Browser Cache problem?

Sound like a cache problem; try a "shift" reload of the page; or dump the browser cache. I see your most excellent white S30 in the first post.

joy

Rack and seat

The seat is from Bacchetta. I didn't like the original Silvio seat, so I ordered a foam seat and cut it to fit. The rack was made from 3/4 inch aluminum. Used a torch and metal pipe and bent to shape. Then took that and some thin aluminum stock pieces to my local auto body shop and they welded it up. It is not a great welding job, but it works, and with the paint and a bag on top, you don't notice the welds much. It is held on with 8 "p" clamps. I'm not planning to carry more than lunch, some tools and maybe a jacket. I think it will be strong enough for that. Now if it would only stop raining!

baov

Question. So how wide is the

Question. So how wide is the narrowest part of the fork?
I wanna put the widest 650b i can fit.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
baov,
Roughly 43mm at the

baov,

Roughly 43mm at the very top of the crown area as it tapers in towards the top. In a 650 wheel there would be a bit more width since the fit of the tire would be further down the fork.

Robert

baov

Glad to hear. So a 38mm

Glad to hear. So a 38mm should fit. 42 mm would be nice but probably not. Last I asked (previous Silvio models) people have told me 32mm at most.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
A 38 may be a tight fit.

A 38 may be a tight fit. Given that different rim widths and tire profiles all interchanged will create all sorts of varying widths it might have to be a "try and see" thing unless someone has some definitive experience.

Robert