First street ride

mrevolved

I am 62 years old and have been riding bikes since my mid 20's. Early on I took an interest in mountain biking, which led to my purchasing a Klein. After several years of riding off road I put 1.25 inch slicks on the Klein and started street riding. One day 23 years ago I had an encounter with a dog and went over the handlebars, hitting the road hard and cracking the seat tube. I got up and finished the ride. This encounter with the dog led to 1 cervical surgery and 4 lumbar surgeries, including 6 years in pain management on Methadone. To continue cycling, after the first lumbar surgery, I purchased a Vision recumbent, which I recently had modified for my wife to ride. At the beginning of 2012, after the 6 years in pain management and the final 2 surgeries, I decided it was time to get back to cycling so I went on a diet, started aggressive exercise and lost the 55 lbs I had gained. In the spring of this year got my Vision back on the road. With the weight loss I found biking a pleasure and progressed quickly. In June I was having enough success that I signed up for the Sea Gull Century (2 100 mile rides and one 65 mile ride) held on the Eastern Shore of Maryland for the past 25 years in October. My longest ride before this was a club ride of 50 miles I did more than 15 years ago. In July I decided it was time to upgrade my bike and was prepared to buy a P38 Lightening XT. I had purchased my Vision from Mt Airy Bikes so I went to their web site and discovered they did not carry the P38, but I saw a picture of a new product that they had just started selling - the Cruzbike. It looked unusual and the idea of front wheel drive did not seem to make sense so I started looking for a bike shop that carried the P38. But the uniqueness of the Cruzbike had caught my attention and I started trying to find out more. Mt Airy had not yet gotten a demo bike in so I had no way of trying the Cruzbike but I finally determined that I liked the bike enough that I ordered the Silvio 2.0 sight unseen. Shortly after I placed a deposit on the bike, with a money back guarantee if not satisfied, they got a Quest and I rode a Cruzbike for the first time. It was difficult but my recumbent experience helped and I found I enjoyed the challenge.

My Silvio with the Shimano triple crank finally arrived. I had less than 2 months to learn to ride the bike before the Sea Gull. I started in parking lots of shopping centers and office buildings and than onto an 11 mile loop around the BWI Airport. It was difficult at first and I started considering skipping the Sea Gull. On top of the initial riding difficulties, I was having trouble arranging a place to stay and the ride is 3 hours from my home. Eight days before the ride I found a place and with great hesitation decided to give the event a try. At the worse I would have to stop and have the SAG van take me back. I started at 7AM with nearly 7000 other riders. A few people ask if they could take pictures of the Silvio. After 4 hours and 14 minutes I completed the longest ride I had ever ridden in the fastest time in my nearly 40 years on a bike. The last 20 miles was into a headwind and with the Silvio I was passing riders half my age. The Silvio is an incredible bike and well worth the effort to learn to ride.
742021-1102-0039s.jpg  width:798px

counterpoint

great story!

Thanks for a great story! And a great photo!

I just ordered a Silvio 2.0 frameset (after being told there's a substantial discount for ordering while backordered) and am looking forward to learning to ride it. Actually, no, I dread the learning part, would much rather go straight to passing riders, regardless of age :)

BTW, how do you like the light mounting position? Does the beam 'clear' your feet?

Martin
-----------------------------------
Carbent Sea Dragon 650c

Ivan

Guru
That's a great picture of you

That's a great picture of you and your Silvio. You look a fantastically fit 62 year old youngster! Amazing you did this ride so well with only 2 months on Silvio. Well done...

Did an LBS build your bike cos the cable runs look like they could get in your way. It is possible to run more handlebar tape closer to the stem so that the cables follow the handlebar and boom very closely. All cables can go through the stem clamp that clamps the boom to the stem. Done well the cables can be so close to the boom they are hardly visible. Of course, if it doesn't bother you then don't bother! :)

mrevolved

Light mounting position

I haven't ridden in the the dark except in a tunnel this past weekend on the GAP trail. I suspect there would be some interference with the beam. On an earlier post to this forum the writer had built a mount onto the bracket in front of the BB which would eliminate any problems. I'm more focused on getting back to using my cleats rather then the pedals I currently have on the bike.

I found riding the Quest made learning to ride the Silvio easier. The Silvio has a lower center of gravity. The bike shop owner loaned me the Quest for a couple of days. You are more upright on the Quest which is closer to how I set on the Vision. When I start on the Silvio I sit upright until I get moving and then lie back on the seat. It sounds awkward but works and I can control the bike better at the slower speed. Also works well when I am maneuvering obstacles at slow speed. I still can not start the Silvio while while fully reclined.

mrevolved

Cables

Still working on the cables. They are not in the way but would look better as you describe. I will take a closer look at your bike, which I studied closely before I got by bike from the dealer fully assembled. I need to lengthen the cable housings (actually get the dealer to do it) but haven't had the time - plans for when the weather gets colder. Thanks Ivan for the feedback.

John

chrisblessing

Silvio

Thanks John for the write-up. So very encouraging. I too am 62, and followed the same progression as you, although I did road biking a bit before taking up mountain biking > recumbent > Cruzbike conversion.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
62...You're kidding, right?

I hope to look as youthful and fit as you when I am sixty-two! Great photo and a great write-up. I couldn't agree more with your sentiment about the Silvio, but how quickly you've taken to it speaks volumes of you as a cyclist.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Outstanding John. 4 hours and

Outstanding John. 4 hours and 14 minutes - wow! I really need to get my butt in gear.

Great photo and write-up and looks like you are having a blast. The Sea Gull Century looks like a fun one.

-Eric

3WHELZ

Guru
Sea Gull Century

Very impressive ride! I do not believe I could have done in the first two month of learning how to ride the Silvio. It has been a few years since I rode the Sea Gull. The last stop is always the best - Amish cherry pie.

Since you are in the Baltimore-Washington area, a couple other rides for consideration are the Air Memorial Ride and the Reston Century. There are just a few recumbents on the ride. It would be nice to see anther, particularly a Silvio.