First time on the road

Bikenutjay

Well today was first time on the road .
I installed SPD peddles and put on my mountain bike shoes and off I went, going up hill from the house . The first few minutes were woblily but it worked its way out after 10 min or so.
I stayed in the small chain ring and stayed at lowed speed max of about 18 mph.
I am still apprehensive when I am passed by concrete trucks and 1 ton trucks pulling a trailer,
Handing got better the more I rode , I did stay away from the hammer for now .
The work out is more arms than legs for me right now.
I have to work tomorrow so it will be wensday before I can ride again.
I got in 18 miles and I am stocked right now , just can't wait to ride again!

Love this bike. Jay

Bruce B

When you see those big vehicles in your mirror it is intimidating. Stop pedaling until those big vehicles pass, your bike will be easier to keep in a straight line. With more recumbent experience you will gain confidence.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Vehicles are annoying. Drivers love to rubber neck when they see something unusual and the Cruzbike is certainly that, especially the Silvio or the Vendetta. Sometimes you have to slow down to force those slow drivers to overtake you o_O

Bikenutjay

Thanks I will try that next time.
I have been riding recumbents for 3 years , I just got the vendetta 2.2 two weeks ago .
So I am still learning MMB , It is different than my Bracchetta and Rans high racers.
And It seams faster also.
Jay

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Thanks I will try that next time.
I have been riding recumbents for 3 years , I just got the vendetta 2.2 two weeks ago .
So I am still learning MMB , It is different than my Bracchetta and Rans high racers.
And It seams faster also.
Jay

Congrats on your first road ride. Another mileage on your check list. Keep up the good work.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Way to go Jay!
Day one on the open road - Impressive - lots of guts there
Took me 10 days, and still it was white knuckle all the way for awhile!
No turning back now - The V hooks another one.... ;)

Bikenutjay

Way to go Jay!
Day one on the open road - Impressive - lots of guts there
Took me 10 days, and still it was white knuckle all the way for awhile!
No turning back now - The V hooks another one.... ;)
Yea I am hooked the bike is just so easy to pedal that it just takes off. It is the only recumbent that I ride that I can pedal circles ( pull back on the pedals) naturally like I have done for years on diamond frame bikes .
My first ride would have been last week but I had to work all last week 12 hour days.
Jay

Last edited:

pedlpadl

My first couple of road rides were similar to yours. Death grip on the bars, wobbles, and fear of passing cars. Thankfully there were no close calls, all the cars gave me a nice wide berth. Even more scary was when a group of DF riders passed me. I'm pinned to the right shoulder and they are slowing down to stare at my bike and me. I just wanted them to hurry up so I could have the rest of the lane to wobble in....

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
If you want to read a funny play by play of a riders first few rides, dig up the road to 500 miles thread from last year. I kind of didn't have time to learn slowly so I jumped in head first making for some funny struggles in my first month.

Have fun these first few months.

Bikenutjay

Well I rode Thursday on one of the mups in the area 41.5 miles on the Withlacoochee trail , ran in to a problem at about 18 miles . I was riding at about 20 + and came up on a couple that were blocking the trail on trikes moving slow .
I yelled three times and the man on the left didn't move , he said he was waiting on me to get to him before he moved over . Well he didn't move over at all , I almost ran in to the back of him when I caught them ( I was passing everyone on the trail going North ) so I had two choices hit the back of his trike or go around him on the side .
So I hit the brakes and took the left side in the grass , long story short ,It was wet and soft so I went down on my right side . I was not hurt just a two scratches on my right leg , I did break off my shifter lever on the right side.
Got back on and rode the rest of my work out shifting with what was left of the shifter arm.
Lesson learned next time slow down earlier!
Friday morning back on the horse ;-) I road in the neighborhood for 25.5 miles with on problems other than the broken shifter arm (ordered a new one on the way hear) .
So far It is coming together , just need to ride when I can , maybe it's I want to ride all the time and not work , but my wife said no !
Jay

Bikenutjay

Lol , that's a good one .
If you want to read a funny play by play of a riders first few rides, dig up the road to 500 miles thread from last year. I kind of didn't have time to learn slowly so I jumped in head first making for some funny struggles in my first month.

Have fun these first few months.
yes I have been reading it a lot of info in your posts.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Got some time relearn some skills on a cruzbike ??

Practice almost stops, where you sit up and pause as close to a dead stop as possible without putting your feet down, then pedal off.
great for letting cross traffic clear the intersection and stop signs .
later,,,, bye

Did that a bunch today.

Bikenutjay

Got some time relearn some skills on a cruzbike ??

Practice almost stops, where you sit up and pause as close to a dead stop as possible without putting your feet down, then pedal off.
great for letting cross traffic clear the intersection and stop signs .
later,,,, bye
I will give it some time this week , I may add some slow speed handling as well.
Jay

Bikenutjay

Update on my progress, so this morning I rode around the community and it is coming together. I can stay in the bike lane and very little wobble at all ,
I am still holding back the beast in me and keeping it around 20 or less .getting use to the large trucks and cars ,I even had to go between two of them while they were unloading building supply's. So far not bad at all , I fixed my shifter arm yesterday and all is well.

Just waiting on the wife to get home so we can ride this afternoon!
Jay:cool: