First (trainer) ride

mickjordan

Finally got my Silvio assembled far enough to put it on the trainer and do a complete Spinervals session.

I have two trainers a CycleOps and a Kinetic. Since I had been using the CycleOps with the Bacchetta, I started with that a few days ago. Things weren't quite right with the front derailleur so I cut it short, but not before I managed to discover the hard way that the CycleOps bracket doesn't hold the long (tandem) skewer you need for the Silvio securely enough. Just as I was doing a bit of single leg spinning, the bike came out of the trainer. Quite a shock I can tell you. Fortunately no damage to me and just a scratch on the fork for the Silvio. Closer examination of the CycleOps made it clear that the combination of the skewer shape and the short holding cup just isn't safe. I have so far totally failed to find a long trainer-friendly skewer.

The Kinetic has a much deeper and wider cup for the skewer and it seems completely solid. It's also much more realistic than the CycleOps. The net effect was that it seemed a lot harder work than my months of Bachetta training, where I felt as if I was running out of high enough gears at times. Even in the trainer, without all the steering issues I have yet to experience, the ride feels completely different. The Bachetta mesh seat is as like an armchair compared to the Silvio, which feels quite narrow and is evidently short in the back. Another analogy would be a old American car seat compared to a rally car seat. I got some cramping in the butt area that I attribute to my body adapting (or not) to this change. Still, way more comfortable overall than a DF bike. I also confirmed the fact that it is quite easy to strain the back by pushing against the hard seat.

I really like the cockpit view; it actually feels a race car; good view ahead and of the gears. Still not sure about the bars, but I am going to experiment in that area a bit over time.

Time for a road ride!

unc99

Sounds good.  I've never had

Sounds good. I've never had a problem with the Kinetic trainer. Did you hang the back wheel so you could get the swinging effect? I haven't tried that yet, but want to as it might liven up a training session. See link below for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5RYCSNrv1Q

mickjordan

Swinging Trainer

I asked John T about the swinging rear wheel. Apparently it's not that straightforward regarding the position of the rope/chain, as evidently the natural line is through your head!