First Vendetta Ride WooHoo!

Itripper

I am so stoked. First attempt on riding new (barely used 2.0) Vendetta. I had previously read all the stories about how long it would take to get used to riding it and was not looking forward to months and months before I could really be able to commute on it. Well it took me about 20 secs to get going the first time, I can't really flintstone it, I dunno why, so I tried twice to start with my usual right foot, could not get going and tried my left foot on pedal first, and just rode off. I spent the next two hours riding all around a safe area. I find I can start off fine with a middle gear with my left foot only. The bike is easy to ride fast, still wobbly below 10 mph. Almost crashed once when I tried a new hand position, went into a death spiral and hit brakes hard, ended up standing up with bike stuck to me. Overall I am very happy with first time results, I was really freaked out at first that I would not be able to ride bike after the first time I sat in it.
I found the headrest position is extremely important to my balance, I shoved a bunch of padding in it to get my head just right and then balancing was much easier. Just an inch or two less back and I cannot balance well at all. There were some heavy winds today and the bike performed flawlessly into them and on slight uphills. I am hopefull that this is going to be the dream commuter/weekend rider bike that I hoped for, my 50 mile commute round trip has a constant uphill the last 12 miles that have been killing me on my previous bikes.

I still have a problem with high cadence, I get wobbly with high cadence but no problems with slower mashing; I am using platforms right now, I am sure part of that problem will be solved by clip ins later. I also plan on some heavier tires like marathon plus or maybe racers for my commute, they should also make the bike more stable with heavier rotating gyroscopic mass.

Also noticed a small amount of mid back pain, I am assuming I just need to experiment with some lumbar padding on the seat. I really want a ventisit pad like my other bent, is there a narrower one that can be gotten for this seat or do peeps just put the big pad right on seat?

In the end just got to say WooHoo! It was fun to ride, no idea how fast I was going but it felt quick.

I forgot to add this bike looks WICKED! It is why I had to get a 2.0, I instantly loved it's looks. OMG it is awesome.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
They are a hoot aren't

They are a hoot aren't they?

The best early learning wobbles recovery is to take your feet off the pedals.

Practicing with Flintstoning is a good place to experiment with different hand positions as this is part of the reason to Flintstone in the first place. It provides a venue for your body to feel and recognize the difference in handling with a MBB and finding the "wrong" position in Flintstone mode is easier to recover from. :D

Balance is generally harder the more reclined you are so nothing surprising there. You will want to gain a feel for your breathing as you get more seat time and make sure you don't have your head and chin pushed down too close to your chest as that will tend to make breathing a little harder. This is a bit more of an issue the shorter you are.

If you get involved in ultramarathon riding you will likely discover it is pretty easy to fall asleep while riding a Vendetta - they get amazingly more comfy the longer you bond with one...

I had the small of the back issue too once I started hitting somewhere around 70 miles into a ride. A small sheet of closed cell foam from the packing materials taped to the seat top but under the cushion solved it for me once I found the sweet spot and haven't had an issue since.

I have had to work at getting my cadence up. For some reason a lower cadence seems to more common on these things.

You can get a Ventisit specifically for the Vendetta. I think the original pattern was made from the original Vendetta seat shape and I don't know if anyone has provided a version 2 or V20 pattern back to Ventisit for any tweaking. We have a few using them on their Vendetta's - I'm sure they'll chime in about fit.

I have a hard time riding a Vendetta slow. Not wobbles and such, it just seems that even when I make a concious effort to ride at a slower speed the next thing I know I'm back flying again..

-Eric

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Ventisit cheapest right here

Like everyone else will say. The balance will come; and its mostly about the laying down so low. See the various threads for practice drills. I can't stress enough that doing your figure eights and practicing hill starts will help alot. I'm starting think about MBB as a Clutch car. After you've learned to drive a car really well, the clutch is only a little bit more to learn. Those that practice get good quick and can do more with a car, those that skip the practice tend to freak out and roll backwards on hit starts :)

Ventisit makes two seat pads specific to the Vendetta and Silvio (they are the same seat) You can get the thicker "Comfort" seat pad here on the Cruzbike site. It's under accessories. http://cruzbike.com/cruzbike-ventisit and it's absolutely the best price you are going to find. Jim Parker gave these a go for some races in the heat last year and decided they should get them to us as an option at a discounted price.

If you want the thin pad or one for a legacy Silvio 1.5 or a current Quest or Softrider you can order it from ventisit directly

Quest/Softrider/Silvio 1.x
http://www.ventisit.com/en/#!/76x26-18-22-cm-Cruzbike/p/28856169

Vendetta/Silvio 2+
http://www.ventisit.com/en/#!/77x26-21-24-cm-Cruzbike/p/28861155

We have the comfort pad on our Quests. Mrs Ratz rides a comfort on her Silvio, and I have a comfort one on my vendetta. I have the standard thin one on my Silvio. I prefer the thin on on the Silvio with the suspension; it make me feel more connected to the bike.

Sorry non clickable links because the spam filter is being a pest today.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Itriper - Sounds like you are

Itriper - Sounds like you are on your way. With consistent practice it takes just a handful of rides to start feeling confident. The low speed wobbles will fade away as your MBB reflexes improve.

As Eric and Bob mentioned the Ventisit is the ay to go. You can also use 1/8 to 1/4 padding in certain areas under the Ventisit to get the seat comfortable for you. I always need padding to takeaway some of the lumbar in most seats I've used.

You can even use padding and an ADEM neckrest to up the recline if you choose.

Below is a picture of an experiment I did with my Silvio (same thing can be done on a Vendetta).

The seat is a stock Silvio seat (Vendetta and Silvio use same seat). With Ventisit Comfort Pad, with 2" tapered an foam pad on top and ADEM headrest mounted to the stock rail.

16032025362_e3c4cd0075_c.jpg

Itripper

Good info on the seat

Thanks a bunch. I will be ordering that Ventisit pad here soon, a must have in Tucson summer. I love that ADEM headrest, once I get more dialed into the bike I will probably get something similiar. For the moment I will probably just duct tape some extra padding on the headrest and put a nice cover over it. I had also considered putting a small foam wedge near the top of seat to sit a little bit more upright for my street commutes to work so it is easier in traffic; and the ability to remove the wedge on weekend rides for the aero help.
One other thing I noticed while riding it is my chronic knee pain is less on this bike. I think due to the MBB that my knee is not always in the same exact position every rotation.

Itripper

2nd Ride

First off, this has to be the most annoying web site interface I have ever used! Learned to type my stuff in word then copy paste to avoid the random lock ups and lost messages.

I rode my Vendetta for 12 miles on a multi-use path the other day. It was 1-2% grade for the first 6 then return. The bike took the slight grade like it was flat, incredible. Going back, I did not have to pedal at all, it just cruz-ed along, probably going 10 mph, quite relaxing. I am still quite wobbly but can keep within my lane. Very embarrassing to be passed by roadies on this awesome V wobbling along at 14 mph or so, I would get pulled over for a DUI if I was on the street. I think clips ins will make a big difference in control on this bike, much more so than other bikes, once I get better I will switch to clips, on platforms now, the cool plastic black with reflector type.

I am going to ride for a while again today. I am still using way too much upper body strength, kind of death gripping the bars, I have not been able to stabilize it by pushing on bars with flat palms. I put a good two inches of stiff foam padding in headrest but need probably 1 more inch, the fabric wont take more so I may have to get creative with duct tape until I find a nice foamie professional piece.

I am really bothered by the fact my 2.0 Vendetta is missing the ultra-cool large V with crossed swords on the front of the boom. It is the most impressive of all the graphics on the bike and mine does not have it. Is there any way to get this graphic? I really have to say, THE reason I wanted a 2.0 and not a V20 is the yellow 2.0 is the most bitchin looking bike I have ever seen, and the boom with polished aluminum is what sets it off, the V and crossed swords is like the emblem on the front, I feel like someone stole my Benz crest off my bike lol.

Also has anyone gotten the solo racer (http://www.calhouncycle.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1540) bags to fit and look nice on a V, not under the seat but behind it out of air stream as intended?

Itripper

3rd RIDE

Just got back from ride #3 a 15 mile trip on MUP. I did much better this time, still wobbly but not too much. Had a good 10-12 knot headwind with 1-2% up grade and the bike just went right along very easily. I have not crashed on it yet, I don't think I will. I got home and the ventisit pad had arrived and my cycle computer, next time I will know how fast I am going. I need the headrest to be closer to my head by 1 inch then it wiull be ideal, looking for a way to do it that will look nice still, there is no more room in the cushion to put another piece.

I am glad I got this bike, it is exactly what I wanted, I had desperately needed a bike that was good on long uphill grades of 2-3% that can handle headwinds, this bike does this like no other. I really want to use it for my 50 mile round trip commute to work and back tonight, but I think I should wait and do a few 40 mile trips to get more familiar before hitting the streets. \

I finally got flint stoning down well, I realized I needed to be sitting about half way up seat to do it then just slide down into position, super easy to start now. Only problem I have noticed is I need to be wearing typical running type moisture wicking gear that is slick so I can slide down easy. I tried it with cotton sweats and they stick too much to seat to slide down easy.

I can tell you for sure this bike is much easier on my knees than my other bikes, usually I have a significant amount of pain in my knees after riding, it is minimal with this bike. Although nobody has ever mentioned it before that I know of, I really think the MBB lets my knees be in very slightly different position every rotation so I don't get any spots in my knee that get worn in the exact same place every pedal stroke.

A lot of peeps stopping me to ask about bike, pretty much everyone except for roadies, they almost go out of their way to not even look at me either parked or riding, they are an odd lot.

If no one can help me find a hookup for the missing V on the front boom, I think I will just throw a jolly roger up there, the old skull and bones.

The bike is a picture magnet here in Tucson! Too bad it isn't a more people friendly model, I think I could have talked a few people here into buying a softrider that I met today, but there is not a chance I would let anyone not familiar with mbb bikes ride my V as initial impression is "WTH this bike SUX and is scary".

I still need work on fast cadence, I am decent now at a slow to moderate cadence, but trying to spin fast is just loss of control atm. I also tried piloting via the brifters for a short time, it seems as though the bike is more controllable that way, either the extra leverage from the brifters or the more perpendicular angle from my body of the arms makes it quite a bit easier to counteract the pedal steer. I can see why a good pair of bull horns may be superior to the curved roadie bar, but I am sure I would miss all the hand position from the roadie bars for long rides, like my commute to and from work.

Kim Tolhurst

Now that you are getting along,

The Vendetta and Silvio, because of their lower seat angle compared to Quest and Sofrider, they become much more a
'pull on the handle bars' than,'push with palms'.

Train yourself this technique and it will soon become natural. Everything about riding a bike becomes natural.

smile, its natural to go straight.

cheers,

Kim.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like you are making

It sounds like you are making progress! Wait until you have 500+ miles under your belt. Oh wow it only gets better (and faster)

Robert

Itripper

3rd RIDE AWESOMENESS

:( I was in a good mood until I tried posting message to this web page then ... many crashes and post is gone. I hope a better forum hosting site is used in the future. Arggghhh! Happened again...

Well I went on my third ride it was awesome! I can now ride well enough to use this bike as a commuter. I did 20 miles, would have done more but three separate people talked to me about the bike and recumbents. Two of those people are going to the local bent shop this weekend to try some out. I was able to ride a 2% uphill with headwind at 16-17 mph, this compares with my HPVelotechnik Street Machine Gte (which I love) that does identical strip at 12-14 mph for the same effort; that is a big difference. I can cruise at 20 mph nicely on flats, and was able to do a mile at 28 mph. The ride is surprisingly smooth, even with the 700 x 23 tires on it, when they wear I will put some 25 or 28 on it. I have bike all prepped for my 50 mile round trip work commute, I have all the equipment I need except space for a bulky jacket, I will have to get a lightweight bike one soon.
I do not want to hurt the bikes aerodynamics so I kept everything nicely tucked away. I did have to add some ultra bright reflective tape as half my work commute is in the dark. I am going on a 60 mile ride tomorrow and if that is successful I will be riding it 2-3 times a week on 50 mile work commute in addition to weekend riding. My knees feel much better on this bike than all my others too. Attached is my bike currently set up, only thing I need now is a way to get more than one bottle on it, preferable a camelbak.
ler-1120033.jpg

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Outstanding, you are

Outstanding, you are progressing as expected! But do expect those speeds to just keep improving and improving and...!!

I joined the club about 9 months ago and have logged in over 7000 miles between the Silvio and Vendetta and am still seeing speed and performance increases.

Ha ha..." three separate people talked to me about the bike "...better get used to it
regular_smile.gif
!

Thanks for the picture...now we know it happened!

Itripper

4th RIDE 60 miles!!! Vendetta famous

I did a 60 mile ride with 25 other bikers today. One of our stops at a local bike shop along the MUP is where we rested at the 40 mile mark. One guy ther said " Hey isn't that the bike that won the RAAM?" and then anther piped in, "Yea, it was ridden by Maria Parker" that was kind of cool I didn't know anone even knew about these bikes. I talked to at least 10 people about Cruzbikes today, and bents in general. I think the roadies all get excited to see the 700c wheels. The 60 mile trip was much easier for me than in the past, only my forearms are really sore. I still have to warn roadies that I am new to riding the bike so give me a little more clearance when we are riding. They like to come up and talk to me but I know every once in a while I'll still get a wobble :O
I will have to put bigger than 23 tires on it, some of the roads here are ultra rough, no tar left between the rocks. it was a good ride overall, unfortunately an older lady on a bent got creamed by some roadie going the opposite way on the MUP, he was at max speed when they both entered dark underpass tunnel and he plowed into her, she has a broken hip and torn shoulder ligaments now:(. The roadie had passed half our group not 10 seconds before (maybe 12 people) but didn't slow down, and had earbuds in listening to radio. I rolled up on them seconds later, he was screaming "she was in my lane!". I did not see her in the tunnel, but I know from following her the last 30 miles, she had not deviated from her lane, and the other entrance to the tunnel he took had a bend in it just before entering, so if you were going fast you would swerve into our lane. I have learned one thing from this, use a blinkie headlight even in daytime on MUP so others have a better chance of seeing you in dark underpasses.

So, I am going to call myself in proficient beginner status, took 120 miles to get there + 2 hours of parking lot time.

BTW that Cruzbike trike is sooo cutting edge, some peeps are always going to resist change. I hope it works out.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Thanks for the report

Thanks for the report Itripper. It takes a few hundred miles to get the arms into shape. I remember my first big ride at 50 miles in the early stages...man were my arms fatigued.

That's pretty cool on the remarks about RAAM and Maria Parker from the roads.

Tire compound and pressure can make all the difference on bad roads! Currently I'm running 25mm Conti GP 4000s II on my V. It makes a huge difference running at 90lbs verses 110lbs on the rough roads. Come this spring, I will switch them out for 28mm for riding the crap roads.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
ltripper, I had to go back

ltripper, I had to go back and check that some of what you wrote wasn't written by me! :)
I share your experiences with long rides, arms, conversations, headwinds, all that!

Thanks for the report.
Welcome to Cruzbike!

Itripper

Metric Century

I did a 100K local event Sunday. First time really pushing the bike fast here are my observations.
The 23mm tires have to go, some of the roads were so rough that it was tough to hold a straight line at 23mph, jittering all over, can't use headrest, can't see mirrors, lol. These roads were extremely rocky, and the roadies were complaining about them too. I am ordering some conti 4000s 28mm wide tires right now, hope they fit.
The course was mostly a 1.5% grade the entire way. They bike climbed extremely well, however it is also more fatiguing having to use upper body all the time, very comfortable but not relaxing. My other bikes i can kind of relax, kick back and just pedal, the V takes active management at all times to go in a straight line. I am very comfy while riding, but always controlling steering, i hope this improves with time.
The downhill section (about half the course 1 to 1 1/2% mild grade) I was pedaling @ 28-29 mph (at least 20 miles of it). There were some curves and it was older road surface, not too bad but not smooth. I found the bike to be very scary and unstable at these speeds, like it is always on the verge of wiping out. It was VERY FAST, passed many hard core roadies on the downhill side, but due to unstable nature of bike it required me to use at least half the lane for corrections, etc. I am hoping this skill comes with time. This is the only bike I have ever had that feels so totally out of control at speed. It is my opinion that this is an inherent problem with the bike that probably can be overcome with experience and practice, but does not negate the fact the bike does not behave well at high speeds. I have yet to crash on bike however. The entire downhill run was a white knuckle E-ticket Disneyland ride! I was never so happy to see a SAG before :) . I stopped and relaxed there for way too long.I will have to rig up a camelback setup, there was no way I could have let go of handlebars long enough to grab a drink from bottle, and I could have used one. .

I can flintstone start or pedal start perfectly now, I much prefer flintstone, it is fast and easy and can get jump on roadies at stops. I really like this bike in that it is very fast and very efficient, i can go at high speeds easily.
What I do not like is it is very hard to relax on, constant active controlling almost wears you down mentally. This is not a bike I would use to just relax and sightsee, it is great for getting from point A to B as quickly as possible.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
The 23mm tires have to

The 23mm tires have to go...4000s 28mm wide tires right now, hope they fit.

They should fit, that's a good choice, I'm currently running 4000s ll 25mm on my Vendetta. Airing them down to 90 psi can make all the difference in the world. Never again will I ride 23mm at 130 psi.

...however it is also more fatiguing having to use upper body all the time, very comfortable but not relaxing.

This gets better the more you ride, soon you will no longer notice the upperbody becoming fatigued or sore.

I found the bike to be very scary and unstable at these speeds....

Again this mostly the tires and roads condition, and then you getting used the bike. My personal experience is I've never ridden a bike that's more stable and carves corners like the Vendetta. Just give yourself some time and miles and you will be writing the same story I do, that "this bike is the most stable bike at speed I've ever ridden".

This is not a bike I would use to just relax and sightsee

Again give yourself some time. Most of my riding is like that...go fast...slow down and sightsee...go fast and sightsee...a slow cruz through the river trail park. For me this is my ultimate do-all do-everything bike. I'm hoping to do a 5-7 day tour in a month or two on the Vendetta.

BTW, congratulations on the Century!

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I will echo everything ratz

I will echo everything ratz mentioned above. And really with the time and miles everything will come together - just keep at it and relax.

:)

Robert