First Vendetta Ride WooHoo!

Hmm. I don't see how to send a PM, but this isn't very private, but I make my foot to be about 9 1/4" x 4" or about 235mm x 100mm
For future reference. Click on the member's picture. This brings up their profile. In the profile is an option to 'start a conversation'. Alternatively you can bring up your own profile page and go to conversations. This has an option to initiate a new conversation.

Last edited:

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
For future reference. Click on the member's picture. This brings up their profile. In the profile is an option to 'start a conversation'. Alternatively you can bring up your own profile page and go to conversations. This has an opinion to initiate a new conversation.

This will be private. More like a PT...Private Thread.

Coversation.jpg

Last edited:

SamP

Guru
Aha, btw, if you're wondering why the quote and my current version of the post is different... I made a more careful tracing and remeasured...

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Sam, you just click on the person's image to left, a new window will open up, and you click "start a conversation"

SamP

Guru
I really have to try on shoes to see if I'll be comfortable. I suspect my size would be around 40, but the main concern for me is width in the toe box. I've tried a bunch of men's sandals and I've found very few to be comfortable just standing in a store, much less walking. It's a bit odd, but I've found some women's sandals which work for me. As a rule, women's shoes are even narrower than men's, but these specific two pairs don't press in where I'm sensitive.

One of them is an older version of this Merrell sandal. Since it's held on by two straps across the top of the foot and a toe loop, there's nothing to crowd the rest of my foot.

My main shoes are Keen casual shoes, similar to this model in 7 1/2. (Keen's size chart claims that's equivalent to a Euro 40). Hm... Keen has a SPD-compatible cycling shoe! But it looks rather narrower than the usual for Keen.

A photo: shoes.jpg

Woman's amazingly wide sandals, Keen casual shoes, Merrell woman's strappy toe loop sandal

Last edited:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I really have to try on shoes to see if I'll be comfortable.

Your foot shape looks well suited for a Sidi - Wide. Something in the Dominator or Genius family.

http://guides.wiggle.co.uk/sidi-cycling-shoes-fitting-guide/

Not sure why but the UK sites always have better inventory on the wide stuff

http://www.sidicafe.co.uk/sidi-cycling-shoes/mega-wide-fit-shoes-82.html

http://www.performancebike.com/revi.../p/20__2032-Sidi-Genius-5-Mega-Road-Shoe.html

Don't forget about Zappos you can order; if they don't fit you can send them back.

SamP

Guru
Wow, those are kind of pricey. Unfortunately Zappos doesn't seem to have Sidi in stock right now, and I'm a bit leary of ordering from the UK... On the other hand, I just ran across Keen shoes at Rose Bikes. WIth Keen, I've got a good idea of sizing, so this is a bit more tempting...

Last edited:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
those are kind of pricey.

Yeah; you can usually find Sidi's on Amazon or Ebay for about $150 once you know your since. The reason they are worth the price is they tend to last 7-10 years. If you query biking forums it's easy to find people that will confirm the longevity.

Keen's are definitely popular; the Trikers seem to love them.

Attached is my bike currently set up, only thing I need now is a way to get more than one bottle on it, preferable a camelbak.
ler-1120033.jpg
You have a bag setup I haven't seen before - what are you using?

Itripper

I have a long bike pump bag zip tied under the seat, it has a very short pump and can hold all my tire levers, tools, patches and lip balm. Under the seat in the triangle area is some cheapo triangle shaped bag that fits nicely, it is a bit narrow but can hold all my snacks, phone and wallet. Unfortunately I just disassembled the bike to go to Korea so I can't snap a more recent picture, I added a water bottle holder and a third bag that all fit nicely.

Itripper

Just to add where I am at now with this bike now that I have some miles on it. I ride it regularly 2-3 times a week from 40-80 miles each time. I have gained in speed considerably, I can maintain a nice cruise speed of 24 mph on the flats indefinitely. I have gotten better at low speed stuff, 3 mph is doable with much concentration. I still have a hard time when really romping on it, lets say I'm doing my 24 mph cruising speed and want to really lay down some power for a short bit, I find the bike gets wobbly when really hammering it. This can be a little embarrassing being all over the road, especially when passing a paceline of roadies. I am not sure if this is just me, or a normal characteristic, as I know road bikes have a lot of motion when being hammered hard too. If I gradually accelerate no problem, but hammering hard at 25mph+ speeds I have a hard time with still, I feel as though I am on the verge of losing control of it. Still the insane speed of this bike is well worth its quirks. It is a very weird feeling when going through a dip and catching air for a second having the front wheel free spin.
I am comfortable riding the bike around the city, in traffic, just about anywhere except in heavy pedestrian traffic areas. I have finally laid the bike over one time, taking a corner too fast, 25mph on a MUP, the bike actually carved the corner much sharper than I though it could and hit the inside. Funny thing is I did not hit the ground, just ended up kind of hopping off the bike as it slid out from under me when hitting gravel on the inside corner.

I have to go to Korea for a year and am bummed that I will not have access to the bike for 45 days, I have it set up perfectly for me and just do not want to ride anything else. The bike feels like my favorite easy chair, just hop on and see life.

1happyreader

zen/child method
the bike actually carved the corner much sharper than I though it could and hit the inside.
Dropping the outside shoulder (snowmobile turn ) is a great way to turn sharply at SLOWER speeds. .??..?.
Might want to work those figure eights and see if thats what you did on the mup.

Itripper

Finally got my V back up and running after being sent to Korea, took a few months to get it. Finally finished putting it all back together, can't wait to do a long ride tomorrow, this area (Gunsan, Korea) has a lot of incredible bike rides, long smooth roads with almost no traffic, and miles of dedicated bike highways. Been using a mountain bike to get around but now I can do some real distances again. I am so stoked.
V2-6_zpssskbeiua.jpg

Here is a pic from one of the several 20-30 mile long beach bikeways here, I modified the picture to make it look surreal some, but you get the idea.
V3-200_zpsxwjdxqyv.jpg

I have seen ZERO recumbents here since I arrived in early August.

Forgot to mention, man what a beautiful bike!

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Finally got my V back up and running after being sent to Korea, took a few months to get it. Finally finished putting it all back together, can't wait to do a long ride tomorrow, this area (Gunsan, Korea) has a lot of incredible bike rides, long smooth roads with almost no traffic, and miles of dedicated bike highways. Been using a mountain bike to get around but now I can do some real distances again. I am so stoked.
V2-6_zpssskbeiua.jpg

Here is a pic from one of the several 20-30 mile long beach bikeways here, I modified the picture to make it look surreal some, but you get the idea.
V3-200_zpsxwjdxqyv.jpg

I have seen ZERO recumbents here since I arrived in early August.

Forgot to mention, man what a beautiful bike!
That's a beautiful bike. Just a couple of quick comments. First, once you get enough time on the bike, you will be able to hammer on the flats at 35 mph and still feel totally in control - your brain has to rewire, which takes time. Second, I have my bottles vertical in the same area as your bottle in the picture, but I still lost one bottle one time going over railroad tracks. So having your bottle at an angle might be problematic - but let us know how the bottle angle works out for you.

Itripper

The cage (single bottle) I have has a tab at the top that retains the bottle and fits perfectly into the podium bottle indentation ( I actually dont have the bottle fully inserted in the pic), it retains it perfectly, I have gone over some very rough stuff it never even moves, if you look at the pic carefully you can see the tab in the indent. Also the conventional under-seat bag just below the bottle wraps the cage so it doesn't get force open in bumps from the angle. I have been using that setup for a while it works great, I am testing out the underseat camelback, I like using that better but do not have enough miles on it to be sure it is reliable, it rests only on inch from the tire. It rained all day today so I didn't get to take bike on shakedown run. Once I am happy with the camelback Ill probably get a smaller podium bottle.

I will be doing a lot of hammering practice, the roads are long, smooth and empty here. Perfect for this bike. I am not a racer so normally I just cruise along at a comfortable sustainable pace (24 mphish) and only hammer when I need to (or want to) pass peeps. It is really fun to whoosh by 3 man pacelines :) Next item is to replace the 28mm GP 4000 with a Gatorskin, had 4 flats on the rear 4000, none on the Gatorskin I run up front, and grind the fork a bit to run a 28mm vs the 25 up front now.

I m interested in that someone mentioned moving the brifters so they are inline with the bars for aero rather than at an angle like mine are, do you think it is much of a difference? Next time I replace the bar tape I may try this.

Also is there any nice bar tape that is cork like in black?

Last edited: