First Vendetta Ride WooHoo!

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Ouch! :(

I've got a theory (which is pretty crappy, but that hasn't stopped me before, so:) that one advantage of clipless pedals is that it's much harder to put your foot down when your falling like that. And the end of two winters ago I was commuting to work and twice I hit black ice and ended up on my side. Twice it was too fast for me to get a foot down. And twice I slid, but had no other injuries.

My wife fell and tore your ACL when she tried to catch herself (she was riding with platform pedals).

And, of course, just because you clip in doesn't mean that you can't get your foot out in time to hurt yourself.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
New Skin is amazingly good stuff, whether spray on or brush on. Available at any drugstore or supermarket in the US. Maybe not in the ROK, but possibly. If not, that Amazon link is your friend. Just beware, it burns like a m***********. But it's worth it. Great wound protection and antiseptic.

Itripper

Well scrape scabbed over nicely, that spray on stuff does seem neat. As far as the clip in theory, yes it would have been better had I not gotten unclipped so fast, but the XTR trail pedals I am using are set to release both ways and really low tension so I unclip very easy and very fast, it is almost the same as riding platforms, yet still locked in for bumps and stuff. My foot was in bad shape the morning after, could not walk at all. Took a very hot shower and it loosened up a bit, got X-rayed, no problems, wore a ankle brace all day and now this morning the foot/ankle are significantly better, walking very decently. I think I will be gtg in 1 week or less. My lessons learned are 1) Never leave home without repair kit ( I got cocky with two gators on bike) and 2) If I think I hit something hard, stop and check tire for damage even if it messes up my groove. Certainly laying down bike messes up my groove more.

Another "problem" with the Vendetta is when I have my music playing and I am just zipping along at night is I get way too comfortable and probably not paying as much attention to the road as I should, the Vendetta makes it way too easy to just zone out, I could imagine falling asleep on it on a 24hr ride and crashing.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Well scrape scabbed over nicely, that spray on stuff does seem neat. As far as the clip in theory, yes it would have been better had I not gotten unclipped so fast, but the XTR trail pedals I am using are set to release both ways and really low tension so I unclip very easy and very fast, it is almost the same as riding platforms, yet still locked in for bumps and stuff. My foot was in bad shape the morning after, could not walk at all. Took a very hot shower and it loosened up a bit, got X-rayed, no problems, wore a ankle brace all day and now this morning the foot/ankle are significantly better, walking very decently. I think I will be gtg in 1 week or less. My lessons learned are 1) Never leave home without repair kit ( I got cocky with two gators on bike) and 2) If I think I hit something hard, stop and check tire for damage even if it messes up my groove. Certainly laying down bike messes up my groove more.

Another "problem" with the Vendetta is when I have my music playing and I am just zipping along at night is I get way too comfortable and probably not paying as much attention to the road as I should, the Vendetta makes it way too easy to just zone out, I could imagine falling asleep on it on a 24hr ride and crashing.

I started falling asleep during the N24HC and had to lie down on the grass and take a nap for a while. The V's comfortable ride wasn't helping me to keep my eyes open in the middle of the night.

SamP

Guru
On my conversion kit, if I don't stick out any arms or legs, a crash usually results in a moderate scrape. It's a baaaad idea to try to break a bike fall with hands or feet!

New-Skin burns because it includes an antiseptic. There are other liquid bandages which don't include one, but make sure to clean the cut/abrasion before applying, a really good idea anyway but perhaps not so easy in the field.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Finally got a 28 mm Gatorskin in the rear to match the 25 Gator up front, hopefully this will stop my rash of rear flats. Been doing war games or raining last couple of weeks have not been able to ride, it is killing me. I am from Tucson normally so I can ride year round, I am not liking rainy/snow cold weather, I really appreciate Tucson much more now. I added some A-10 Warthog decals to my bike as I have done a couple of years as Pro-super on the flightline for the A-10's and they are bad-ass planes. I love that I can add these to my bike as there is nowhere to add stuff like this on a DF. I now declare my bike as "set-up" as I have camelbak, normal bottle and some bags ready for day long trips. Even have a blutooth speakerfor listening to music on lomg rides.
VHOG-1160030_zpsbeymo7vy.jpg

I like the decals. I went through Aircraft Mishap school in California with an A-10 driver. Forget his name, this was back in 90 or maybe 91. He was a really funny guy. A-10s are cool. If you follow Larry's crashing examples too much though you'll need some armor. :eek:

-Eric

PeteClark

Last edited: