Flat bar?

I am sorry if I am questioning something obvious, but does Silvio have to have a road drop bar fitted? Is there an ergonomic or aero advantage, or perhaps limitations I can not imagine? There are road groupset components that can be used with a flat bar, and of course mtb hydraulic disc brakes. I am aware of the bullhorn bar alternative, as well as 'hamster' bars which were favoured by one of the early fwd mbb pioneers on his Sofabike, but I am very partial to hydraulic brakes.

i am in the process of speccing my Silvio, which I intend to use as a gt machine of sorts - for long-distance (50+ miles) round trips with some 10-12% grades thrown in, and fast travel year round. Speaking of that, has someone come across a bigger/better tail bag than the Bachetta brain box?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
BullHorns are for the Silvio too

You can opt for the BullHorn bars for the Silvio 2.0 same as the Vendetta. For the riding you are describing you may like that better. If you consider what the BullHorn cost and include with them, and then substract off the cost off $200-400 Brifters you may find the configuration is cost neutral. I am about to build mind as soon as the frame kit arrives; I am starting with the drops but plan to switch to the BullHorns after master the ride.

Ivan

Guru
If you had a flat bar fitted

If you had a flat bar fitted there would tend to be cables, brakes, shifters etc hitting your thighs at the top of the pedal stroke. Drop bars nicely circumvent this and allow your arms to be straighter which is better for MBB. Certainly brifters with their concealed cables are more aero.

I would think that a flat handlebar may only be possible if your BB was setup low resulting in high handlebars above your knees and closer to your body. If you want aero, then you would not go this route.

Y-bars or 'hamster' bars

alt="Hamster bars on a Sofabike"
image(93).jpg  width:1280px

Y-bars

Can't figure out how to combine text and pic in one posting, and sorry if the pic does not display quite right. Anyway, does anyone have any experience with this type of handlebar? The scuba tank is irrelevant to the subject))

hurri47

A scuba tank is never

A scuba tank is never irrelevant on a bicycle.

Most people on Cruzbikes seem to prefer straight arms, but I'm currently experimenting with a bent-arm position. Not as bent as yours, though, and my grips are a more normal width apart. There's definitely more muscle required with bent arms compared to straight, but I expect to get used to it.

-Dan