Flat Front Shock

Elliot,
I don't say your are wrong, but I believe you are splitting hairs. It would be difficult to simulate that even with a good CAD software, because the carbon fiber chainstay can, to a certain extend, pivot on both ends and the flex of it is difficult to estimate.
On my Silvio 2.1 all bolts are tight and the suspension works fine without leaking for over two years now.
If a shock is leaking I would clean or change the valve.
The tightness of the boom bolt is unrelated to suspension leaking. With the bolt tightened such that the boom is secure, the boom and sleeve can still pivot about this bolt:
bolt.jpg
Assuming the front carboyoke doesn't extend or compress in it's primary plane then the boom pivots about this bolt when the fork decreases in length. If the boom doesn't pivot here then there needs to be a combination of carboyoke compresssion and boom bending to keep everything attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    927.8 KB · Views: 5

mzweili

Guru
Elliot, I did a rough sketch of the front triangle.
As per manufacturer's spec, the suspension has a max. travel of 28mm.
I didn't imagine that the suspension would have such an important impact to the front triangle.
For sure the CF chainstay wont flex as shown in the right sketch, thus the boom has to pivot as you suggested.
Another concern might be the rotation of the clamps on the BB caps and the skewer, 5 deg. resp. 3 deg.
Comments from Cruzbike would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Silvio_Suspension.JPG
    Silvio_Suspension.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 22

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The simplest way to find out how flexible the CF chain-stay is AND if the head-stem pivot actually pivots is to remove the front wheel quick release, spring the CF chainstay brackets downwards and away from the fork.
Now connect a spring balance and see how much force is required to move the chainstay brackets down 30 mm!
Now move it futher to see what happens at the headstem pivot.

Have a look at the rear suspension where the CF rear stay, and the Titanium top stay, have to move in a "S " shape when the rear suspension moves as both ends have rigid clamping points.

Happy pivoting