Front Suspension

MailSeanBell

So I'll admit I'm a bigger guy. I'm down 11 pounds since I bouth the Freerider but that still leave me a 269.

I find myself bottoming out the front suspension quite often and I was wondering if there was any way to increase the pressure. I tried looking up the suspension type but it appears to be an evo cruzbike specific thing so I'm just curious if there are more options.

thanks

JonB

Zen MBB Master
SeanBell wrote: So I'll admit I'm a bigger guy. I'm down 11 pounds since I bouth the Freerider but that still leave me a 269.

I find myself bottoming out the front suspension quite often and I was wondering if there was any way to increase the pressure. I tried looking up the suspension type but it appears to be an evo cruzbike specific thing so I'm just curious if there are more options.
I am quite big myself. I too occasionally have this problem, though a bit rarer. One way to get a better suspension, probably at the expense of extra weight would be to exchange the entire front with something from another bike. And hopefully the cruzbike triangle that holds the bottom bracket will fit a usual bikefront, just like the cruzbike kit does.

MailSeanBell

Do you know what I'm asking for or looking for? It seems that I'm looking for a 'crown fork suspesion' or something but they don't seem to be readily availible on the internet... is it just a specific part or is this all part of a one piece frame?

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I think if you have your front shock at the maximum inflation and you're only bottoming out occasionally on the biggest hits, you leave well enough alone. Just take it easy on those big bumps knowing you will bottom out.

Changing out the front end is risky business. Not saying it can't be done, just saying it might prove to be one of those easier said than done kind of things for dubious gains. Just my opinion.

Mark

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Sean,

The Freerider front shock is integral to the fork and the pressure isn't adjustable, unlike the mich more expensive Silvio part.

While you could conceivably use a conversion kit to install a different fork, it seems like an awful lot of expense; you'd probably be close to Silvio territory before you were through.

You can take some load out of the front suspension by softening the rear some (turn the spring saddle nut to allow the spring to move toward the front of the shock) - this could help if bottoming is a rare occurrence.

Mark's advice is probably best - ease up when you see the big one coming.

Be well...

Doug

MailSeanBell

Yeah well... I guess I'll just have to take about 60 pounds off the engine and then really, the whole thing should be lighter by then....

I always laugh at my friends who spend 100's of dollars to take 2 pounds off the bike... I skip lunch and I get the same effect. :D

I did notice that I have the rear at near the strongest it can be so I'll lighten in up a bit and see. Thanks all!