Fun new accessories!

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Was just browsing and found a bunch of new accessories!
The new (adjustable) headrest looks fascinating. More pictures? I can't quite tell how it works from the one we have so far.
The tool kit looks interesting.
The B&M Cyclestar mirror works even for bullhorns. Nice!
The MoosePack looks beautiful.
And then there are the front/rear lights.

Nice additions!

(and then there are the racks an panniers that will fit the S40)... also nice!

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Was just browsing and found a bunch of new accessories!
The new (adjustable) headrest looks fascinating. More pictures? I can't quite tell how it works from the one we have so far.
The tool kit looks interesting.
The B&M Cyclestar mirror works even for bullhorns. Nice!
The MoosePack looks beautiful.
And then there are the front/rear lights.

Nice additions!

(and then there are the racks an panniers that will fit the S40)... also nice!
Thank you for note. Moose bag and adjustable headrest looks great.

I am kind of a "light-nerd" and have tried several lights.

I happen to have both of those Cygolights. I really like them. I also like the Serfas Thunderbolt as a rear light. https://www.serfas.com/products/view/669/ I think the Thunderbolt is easier to see from a distance but the battery doesn't last as long as the Cygolight. So I use them both. :)

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I'll have to say that from this pic, it looks...um, 'inelegant'. While it appears to boost adjustability and range a lot, I don't like that it sits so close to the rear tire (top and sides). The tailbox puts a lot of stress on the headrest as it is. With a clamp/joint in the mix, I'd be looking to keep the tailbox from accidently dropping down onto the tire after a big bounce. However, I may be completely whacko...we don't have a very good picture of the system. The gif in the 'accessories' catalog just doesn't cut it. I'm sure better pix will be in the offing!

DSC09307.jpg

Gotta get me a Moose bag though. Looks perfect!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I'll have to say that from this pic, it looks...um, 'inelegant'

The clamp is substantial; if properly tightened you won't have a problem its setup to be double binding as 1 clamp pinches down two connections. What it is, is versatile, but it's also heavy but it has to be adjustable over the range of adjustment it does. Short riders will appreciate this one.

Once it's sized for your body, you can cut off the part that overlaps the tire if that makes you nervous.

I would do photos but I'm out of time this week.... if you need the adjustability jump on it, you won't be disappointed. Larry gave it his aero seal of approval this week. He and Maria will race on that headrest in RAAM.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I'll reserve comment until we get up-close-and-personal pix. I am very shy of structure hanging off of tubing-clamps in a high-shock/vibration environment.

I'm the guy who is always listening for things bouncing off the pavement behind him. Screws loosen, clamps fall off, etc. I just tore down my 'main' V2/k last weekend (3 or 4 yrs of riding on it...with virtually no maintenance). I found that there was only one nut & bolt holding the seat pan to the bike...the rest of the bolts were there but the nuts had all fallen off. I never noticed.

They're being replaced with self-locking nuts this go-round.

I really like the look of the tailbox from a distance, but like Marc, I'd like to see some close-ups of how it attaches, as well as the back of it so I can see how the light(s?) are attached.

What I'm having trouble deciding is if I'd like the tailbox better than the Bachetta Brain Box that I already have mounted behind my seat.

If some non-RAAMer with a tailbox would be so kind to indulge us with a few good photos, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

It looks like there is a lot more clearance between the tire and tailbox on Larry's bike
http://www.cruzbike.com/forum/threads/special-raam-vendetta-reveal.11731/

Last edited:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I really like the look of the tailbox from a distance, but like Marc, I'd like to see some close-ups of how it attaches, as well as the back of it so I can see how the light(s?) are attached.

What I'm having trouble deciding is if I'd like the tailbox better than the Bachetta Brain Box that I already have mounted behind my seat.

If some non-RAAMer with a tailbox would be so kind to indulge us with a few good photos, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
I have a tailbox, fitted to my V20. The box has two vertical grooves that the headrest tubes lie in. There's two aluminum clamping plates on the other side of the tube with a bolt thru the middle (between the tubes) of each. I can't take pix this week but if nobody else does, I'll do it as soon as I can.

The tailbox mount is reasonably solid using the old style headrest. I have never seen a BBB in person but it looks like it will hold more stuff.

The tail-light mount is simply a CF tube with a center thrubolt. It is integrated into the back of the box. The diameter of the tube is a little big (31.8mm?) for the lights I had, so I had to kluge one up for my light.
View media item 273View media item 279

I have some pics on post #39 here. It sure looks sleek, but capacity is probably less than the Brainbox, and access is limited to either stuffing through the water bottle holes or removing the three screws each time.

I have some pics on post #39 here. It sure looks sleek, but capacity is probably less than the Brainbox, and access is limited to either stuffing through the water bottle holes or removing the three screws each time.

Thanks Mathew! Yes, it's definitely smaller than the Brain Box, but I rarely use the whole capacity of the Brain Box anyway. I'd probably just put a camelback bladder in the Race Case. I'll have a Moose Pack soon for spare tire, pump, etc.

BrianA

Talking of accessories, what is happening with the trike conversion for the Silvio/vendetta? News on this has been non-existent for some time.

Rod Butler

Moose bag ordered, my set up for LEL regarding carrying my kit is complete. Many thanks @trplay for the design.
Hi Lee,
It looks like you're in the London area, is that right? I'm about to purchase the S40 kit to build up here. I have once-only injection of funds for this project and am looking to set up the lowest maintenance unit possible ie, Rolhoff, belt drive, disc brakes etc. Cairo to Capetown trip is moving up the bucket list.
I've done a few big trips and I'm tired of oil and grease. long distance touring is grubby enough. Are you the man I should by a beer for? :)
Does the 55 indicate year birth? If so we're contemporaries(?). This is my first post.

PeteClark

Just received a Moose Pack, moved the rear brake to the upper mount to make room, and am now paused to figure out how best to secure the bag in place. There are 3 velcro straps on the bag's topside to engage the velcro between the frame and the seat (clever). But I'm not sure what to do with the strap at the rear of the bag. Why is there velcro on both sides of the end of the strap? I could loop the strap around the lower brake mount, but it seems too long and leaves a bunch of material near the rear tire. I'm considering looping a zip-tie around the stays forward of the brake mount, and looping the bag strap around the tie, which would leave a bit more tire clearance. Any other solutions out there?

I'm just guessing...but don't the 2 straps in the back go around the frame bars that lead to the back wheel?
If I'm way off...post a photo.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Yah, I got my Moose Pack on Friday. Spent some time yesterday trying to figure out what to do with that single rear strap. If I loop it around the lower-rear brake mount, it is too long to effectively use the Velcro (IOW, the strap is loose). There is barely enough room between the mount and the 700x28 tire I'm using so if used, that strap will rub the tire if it isn't very tight. I tried using the 'other' side of the Velcro, tucked down from the top...still too much strap. I think it may be sized to go all the way around the middle of a side-pull brake.

Unless somebody comes up with a better idea, I think I'll cut that strap off short (1/2"?) with a hot knife (so the cut end is melted and wont fray). Then, I'll melt a hole in the middle of the remaining end and use a nut/bolt/washer to attach it to the rear brake mount.

And, of course, the zippered opening is on the same side I have my bottle-mount toolkit mounted...that's just Murphy's Law in action. Easy to move the toolkit and mount to the other side of the bike.

I think the Moose Pack is an excellent addition. It is sturdy and fits nicely. Everybody has different needs, so a little hot-rodding is expected.

PeteClark

Just one strap at the lower rear corner when viewed from the side. In the middle when viewed from the end. Here's a pic with the zip tie installIMG_0824.JPG