Function of two holes in front of BB?

BobD

I am curious as to the function of the two holes in front of the Silvio BB. I want to make sure that I didn't "skip a step" in the frame build.
Thanks!

Bob

0.jpg height: 188px;

mickjordan

When you need a pull

It's for attaching a tow rope when you need a pull -;)

Seriously, I've been curious about this too. But don't worry you haven't missed a step.

Happy New Year!

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Fairing mounting points...

We provided those in the original design for mounting a fairing, as I remember.

Fairing selection is a sticky subject becuase if the wrong shape is chosen, crosswinds and passing trucks can disturb steering input.

No steps missed as far as I can tell...

BobD

Ahhh....a fairing contact.

Ahhh....a fairing contact. Yes....those fairing can be a tad tricky. I've used them on Rans and Easy Racers LWB's.

I didn't really think I missed a step......there were no parts left!!
Was just real curious....
Many thanks....

DaveW124

silvio build

Bob,

I am just finishing putting my new frame together but it will be another week or so before I get all my components. After the frame build I had four small black tubes with "jagwire" written on them and also a black nob with silver threads. Both packages were taped to the inside of the box. Do you know what they are for. or anyone else for that matter?

Thanks

DaveW

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Those four plastic endings

Those four plastic endings are for holding the cable housings firmly as they enter and exit the frame.

The other item, I can't imagine it, is it on this post: http://cruzbike.com/new-silvio-stock ? Is it the spare flower nut, one is inserted in the fork already?

DaveW124

Silvio

Thanks for your reply John. If I had to guess what the blck tubes were for that is what I would have guessed but just wanted to be sure. I will do some more thinking on the other piece (it is not the extra flower nut. Maybe an extra front shock valve stem or something similar. If I can't figure it out I will try and send a pic later on.

DaveW

mystery mount

I think that mount and location are perfect for a dynamo-driven headlight, but I haven't yet had time to figure out the bolts, etc. Maybe I'll get to it later this month.
- Robert Matson

mickjordan

FD adjuster

Your photo is the FD cable aduster, I believe. My SIlvio did not come with one so I had to source one from the LBS. Looks like that oversight has been fixed.

BobD

-Dave: it looks like John

-Dave: it looks like John provided the answer to your question re: the cables. I also had the same item taped to the inside of the box....however there were no Jagwire cable housings included.

-Mick- re: the FD.... so could you send a picture of where it goes on your FD? That one is a surprise to me.

-John: I figured I would use cable housing when setting up the cables as I normally do. Am curious, do the cable housing pieces that were provided have a special sized cap to fit into the Silvio? If not....I'll set it up as I typically do as the pieces weren't included in the box.

mickjordan

Cable caps

The cable caps for the rear brake are truly essential, although owing to paint thickness, it may initially be hard to get them in the frame opeinings. But if you don't install them, the act of braking will strip the cable and pull it into the frame. There has even been one report on the site of this happening even with a cable cap installed. I haven't checked the diameter of derailleur cable caps and brake cable caps, but it could be that it is important to use the correct type in this instance.

BobD

Thanks Mick....
All makes a

Thanks Mick....

All makes a lot of sense. I see what how you used the cap now for the FD....for the braze-on lead for the cable towards the actual FD. I planned to use cable/brake caps....as always....will be interesting to see if they fit in terms of the diameter.....or perhaps that is why the cables were included in Dave's kit. Will check when I get home.

btw: Were the cables with caps included in your (or other's) kit.....

Am curious as to what John or Doug say about the cable cap size.....

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
cable end caps

http://cruzbike.com/new-silvio-stock

See photo, as below, where the four cable end caps are taped to the frame under the seat. Frames shipped since that post should be the same, or similar.
DSCN3819M.JPG width: 1296px; height: 972px;

DaveW124

silvio part

Mick - Thanks for the picture and clarification - you are definitley right it is the FD adjustor but I don't remember reading anything about it in the instructions.

John - my cable end caps (along with the FD adjustor) were taped to the inside of the packing box, not under the seat as per the above picture.

Thanks everyone for helping me to get things figured out.

Bob - no cables in my kit just the cable end caps. (again these were taped to the inside of the box)

DaveW

BobD

FD adjustor and cable caps

DaveW: really glad you asked about all of this stuff!

Mick: thanks again for posting about the FD....

John: Thanks for the pic....really helpful to see what I was looking for. After taking a look at your pic, I went searching. The bag of caps wasn't on the box or taped to the seat. So, I took all of the padding material out of the box again. The bag of caps was taped to the side of one of the pieces of white insulation that had been wrapped around one of the parts.

Like DaveW, I didn't see anything in the instructions about the FD adjustor of these specific caps. Real glad I found them. Especially because I plan to build-up the components this weekend.

Bob

BobD

Plastic tubes used to guide cables...

Is the plastic tube to be used only to guide the brake cable.....and then to be removed?

Will there be any problem if you leave the plastic tube....trimming the ends of course??
On other frames, a similar tube is left as a guide.

Figured it might be useful as cables are installed in the future.

Any thoughts?

mickjordan

FD adjustment

So, officially, FD adjustment is the hardest thing to do on a bike. And the Silvio is harder to adjust than a DF bike. Why? Because you need to apply more tension when clamping the cable than you would with a DF bike, because of the cable routing under the BB in the brake cable sleeve. In my experience, it's practically impossible to get this right without a cable stretcher to tension the cable when clamping. Although the FD adjuster on the boom is useful for fine tuning an already setup FD, it doesn't have enough range to compensate for slack tension from a hand pulled cable install. And it is easy to trash the cable using pliars or some other tool. I went through about three cables before I got the FD shifting properly. It's fine now and the adjuster works to fine tune the inevitable cable stretch that occurs in the first few hundred miles.