FYI: Forums Organization Pending.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Thread spotting just a reminde. If you see threads that should get relocated please let me know; of special interest would be ones about races / competition; and ones that focus on bike tech; that will help us get things just started in the new slots. Also post suggestions here for thread that should get linked in the best of the best forum. The best of the best will stay where they are but the shadow forum will have them list and linked so people can find them easier.

Last edited:

ratz

Tribe implies savagery,
Ok could you have packed more Ideas, Facts, and Subtle Sarcasm into that post. You could write for CPGGrey if you can do that on demand.

In the Middle U.S. tribe is in some areas a well protected term by many that grew up in the reservation system. I grew up near it, and some of the violent histories so I might be seeing ghosts. The word is a good word; but sadly if you start to have fun with it and per say call this forum the "tribal counsel" or "tribal tee-pee" or start to play you run the risk of unintentionally offending someone that had a bad go of it. For conversations no big deal, but when we name entire forums something it's a billboard sign and we have to consider all comers. I have 3 customers that are Native American and they think the Washington Football team debate is stupid and unnecessary; and then I know others that have a huge issue with it and consider it offensive and yet they have never had any chance to ever experience a reservation or the people that live there. So that's part of the reason a thread like this gets going so input beyond just a few can be considered. I'm not all in on P.C. but I am forth thoughtful consideration so as to not un-nessecesry exclude people; unless the call our beloved bikes unrideable; then all is far. In the mean time I'm leaning toward bike theme's names because these bike things might catch on.

For those that missed some of joe references here you go. If you don't know CPGGrey you've been missing out.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Ok could you have packed more Ideas, Facts, and Subtle Sarcasm into that post. You could write for CPGGrey if you can do that on demand.

In the Middle U.S. tribe is in some areas a well protected term by many that grew up in the reservation system. I grew up near it, and some of the violent histories so I might be seeing ghosts. The word is a good word; but sadly if you start to have fun with it and per say call this forum the "tribal counsel" or "tribal tee-pee" or start to play you run the risk of unintentionally offending someone that had a bad go of it. For conversations no big deal, but when we name entire forums something it's a billboard sign and we have to consider all comers. I have 3 customers that are Native American and they think the Washington Football team debate is stupid and unnecessary; and then I know others that have a huge issue with it and consider it offensive and yet they have never had any chance to ever experience a reservation or the people that live there. So that's part of the reason a thread like this gets going so input beyond just a few can be considered. I'm not all in on P.C. but I am forth thoughtful consideration so as to not un-nessecesry exclude people; unless the call our beloved bikes unrideable; then all is far. In the mean time I'm leaning toward bike theme's names because these bike things might catch on.

For those that missed some of joe references here you go. If you don't know CPGGrey you've been missing out.
Nice catch Ratz. Jared Diamond is da man. But you missed a few things. "Sorry." The Joker, The Dark Night, 2008.

Since I am on all three sides of the fence, here are some relevant quotes for all three sides.

For the "uptight": "Lighten up, Francis." Stripes, 1981.

For the natives: "Stupid ******* white man." Dead Man, 1995.

For those who are genetically one to four percent non-human: "Girls just want to have fun." Robert Hazard, 1979.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Tribes exist in virtually all areas of the world; they are not limited to Native Americans. There are tribes of many ethnicities, including Caucasians. 'Tribe" can imply a group of one's choosing and also implies acceptance and loyalty. That seems to be the use here; it is not a condescending mascot use by any means.
As mentioned, as long as any 'tee-pee', 'woo-woo', or other slur-sounding uses are avoided, I can't see it as a problem. In human history, it's in our genes to want to belong to a 'tribe'.
My $.02 fwiw

ratz

I can't see it as a problem. In human history, it's in our genes to want to belong to a 'tribe'.
My $.02 fwiw
I'd be more than happy to be seeing ghosts. as appears to be the case. I was in Vegas and I must admit I loved the idea of a store called "Ke-mo sah-bee" selling western goods; that was great although I believe they had to misspell it without the "h"