Getting ready for winter...

MailSeanBell

OK... it's still summer, but it's raining today. So I started to think about riding year round (which I'm going to try this winter... it's a 20 min commute in the summer). So as a challenge I want to ride year 'round.

(I know for MarkB this means putting on a lite sweater on the coldest of mornings)

For me, this will mean about 3 months of -20 temperatures, and a well groomed trail to follow. I say 'groomed' because they mostly use a mini-snowplow to scrape off the path - often leaving a nice level snow/ice trail to follow. Then of course, with any wind there will be drifts to try to plow through. So...

My instinct is to go and buy some fat low psi tires with studs, but this requires modification on the breaks and changing the sprockets over etc... so is there a better way? Are there some treads I could get that fit on the same tube and tire without the change?

Any advice is welcome on winter riding. :ugeek:

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
SeanBell wrote: OK... it's still summer, but it's raining today. So I started to think about riding year round (which I'm going to try this winter... it's a 20 min commute in the summer). So as a challenge I want to ride year 'round.

(I know for MarkB this means putting on a lite sweater on the coldest of mornings)
:lol: :lol: :shock: Hey, hold on a second!... It gets down to near freezing here a few times during the winter. Lows in the 40's, certainly. I know you crazy canucks would be sunbatheing in the 40's, but we think that's pretty darned cold!

You're right, though, on the coldest of days, I wear a long sleeve jersey and a regular cycling jacket, or a regular jersey with arm warmers. Leg warmers for the legs and toe warmers for the shoes. I usually cover my helmet vents and wear a beanie under the helmet. I also have some ear warmers that velcro onto the helmet straps. All that crap comes off in the afternoon, though! ;)

Mark

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Peder is the king of winter riding, if he does not chip in we can search for his previous threads on how to do this. Its all here on the forum somewhere. :p

The Sofrider was better than I had expected in winter conditions. With winter tires traction is good. Ice on the roads which we have a lot being by the coast is no problem.
You can on any bike also ride without spikes in the winter but when you try stopping or turning you will certainly notice the difference. Safety is important for me and I feel very safe with winter tires on my Sofrider. Certain snow types like wet snow when it snows can be difficult also for cars. Dry snow is easier to ride through. When the roads are cleared it usually is no problem. The winter before I got the Sofrider I had a upright with the same winter tires which I used for many years but so uncomfortable. The Sofrider is also faster with the same tires but you will not set any speed records with those tires. There have also been times where the roads have been closed because of continues snowing than I have cross country skies so I am still able to get to work and get some exercise. There are some pictures of my Sofrider at the testimonial site at the Cruzbike homepage.

Peder

JonB

Zen MBB Master
maybe changing the brakes is not such a bad idea. I think that disc brakes will be less prone to get wet like the v-brakes does. But maybe a seal rollerbrake is the best? As for gearing, i dont know how well derailure handles that much snow and ice, but i am thinking about changing mine anyway.

Cables can freeze in the winter. When they are dry you can use some lubricants that help prevent moisture from penetrating into the different wires. It is still a long time before winter. Enjoy the summer riding. Winter is not the best time learning to ride a Sofrider or a Freerider. :roll: ;) :)

Peder

MailSeanBell

Would these tires be overkill?

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442420071&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302693791&bmUID=1220911484627

$95 Canadian (almost the same as US$) seems a little steep but really if you stop one wipe out then it's probably worth it.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
SeanBell wrote: Would these tires be overkill?

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442420071&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302693791&bmUID=1220911484627

$95 Canadian (almost the same as US$) seems a little steep but really if you stop one wipe out then it's probably worth it.

:shock: That's one gnarly looking tire! It looks like something right out of a Mad Max movie!

Mark

SeanBell wrote: Would these tires be overkill?

I used Nokian winter tires last winter that were the same size. They were also great on my Sofrider V1. There was very little clearance in the front with a V2 you might get even less clearance because your chain will come closer to the tire in the lowest gear. It might work it will fit in the rear. You can also check for a winter tire that is some slimmer.
I think you found a good tire and it would be an investment in your safety.
If you look at Cruzbike’s homepage under Testemonials there is also Photomonials. There are some pictures there under my name.
http://www.cruzbike.com/testimonials.html

Peder

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
All this talk about winter has me thinking I need to seriously start thinking about fenders. Damn.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote:
Mark B wrote: All this talk about winter has me thinking I need to seriously start thinking about fenders. Damn.

Mark
move to Las Vegas?

Oh heck no... I would NOT live in Vegas for anything. Winters are colder there than here... It's desert, extreme temps in both summer and winter. That and it's a $hit-hole.

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote:
JonB wrote:
Mark B wrote: All this talk about winter has me thinking I need to seriously start thinking about fenders. Damn.

Mark
move to Las Vegas?

Oh heck no... I would NOT live in Vegas for anything. Winters are colder there than here... It's desert, extreme temps in both summer and winter. That and it's a $hit-hole.

Mark
But it's not raining, is it?

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote:
Mark B wrote: move to Las Vegas?

Mark
JonB wrote: But it's not raining, is it?

When it rains, it pours and they get flash floods. Everything in extreme in the desert.

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote:
JonB wrote:
Mark B wrote: move to Las Vegas?

Mark
JonB wrote: But it's not raining, is it?

When it rains, it pours and they get flash floods. Everything in extreme in the desert.
sounds like a nasty place, well then you better stay indoor ;-)

Traqr

Can't speak for the Cruzbike (yet!) but check out http://www.icebike.org for tips & tricks for everything from commuting to crazy stuff. Take their advice and avoid steel studs if your local road crews use salt - carbide and carbide composite spikes won't rust out. As far as tires go, I can attest to Schwalbe's Snow Studs, and the Marathon Winters look good too (http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/spikes). If you want a faster ride (and you can find them), Continental's Top Contact Winter is the first studless winter tire I've heard of. The "sharp granules" tech reminds me of Toyo's Observe line of winter tires, which use ground walnut shells to mimic driving on a freshly sanded road all the time.

Keep in mind that spikes and granules only work well on ice - deep, open tread works better if the surface is soft enough to leave tire tracks.

Fenders are your friend when the roads are wet in the fall and spring; you'll avoid the stripe-up-the-back look (ok, stripe-on-the-head with a full seat behind you), and road salt tastes horrible and really messes up my riding glasses :(

If you live where real winter hits, you also live where winter commutes are likely to be in full dark; get a good light set, and remember that most headlights under about $100 are so weak next to automotive low-beams that you're safer aiming them level to make yourself more visible. Most taillights are also somewhat directional, so aim slightly up and to the left if you drive on the right-hand side of the road. Sometimes it's the little things...

Traqr wrote: Can't speak for the Cruzbike (yet!) but check out http://www.icebike.org for tips & tricks for everything from commuting to crazy stuff. Take their advice and avoid steel studs if your local road crews use salt - carbide and carbide composite spikes won't rust out. As far as tires go, I can attest to Schwalbe's Snow Studs, and the Marathon Winters look good too (http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/spikes). If you want a faster ride (and you can find them), Continental's Top Contact Winter is the first studless winter tire I've heard of. The "sharp granules" tech reminds me of Toyo's Observe line of winter tires, which use ground walnut shells to mimic driving on a freshly sanded road all the time.

Keep in mind that spikes and granules only work well on ice - deep, open tread works better if the surface is soft enough to leave tire tracks.

Fenders are your friend when the roads are wet in the fall and spring; you'll avoid the stripe-up-the-back look (ok, stripe-on-the-head with a full seat behind you), and road salt tastes horrible and really messes up my riding glasses :(

If you live where real winter hits, you also live where winter commutes are likely to be in full dark; get a good light set, and remember that most headlights under about $100 are so weak next to automotive low-beams that you're safer aiming them level to make yourself more visible. Most taillights are also somewhat directional, so aim slightly up and to the left if you drive on the right-hand side of the road. Sometimes it's the little things...

The winter tires without studs might work there are some smart constructors.
Since they are new not many have tested them yet.
50-559 26x1.90 it has 100 spikes
47-507 26x1.75 it has 200 spikes
My experience is a wide tire “floats” better through snow.
I tried one year 35-622 700x35c it worked on ice but was hopeless in snow.
The tires I used last winter were 26x2,1 with 296 spikes but there was almost no clearance with the Sofrider V1 and with a V2 you might have problems in the lowest gear.
I think the 50-559 26x1,90 should be a good choice for a Sofrider V2 or a Freerider I hope there is enough clearance for the front wheel?

Peder

Traqr

Peder, I'm guessing you've had a few winters with regular bikes. Do you find the Cruzbike's front-wheel-drive is a benefit in slippery riding or does it spin out more often? Would your answer depend on whether you're on snow or ice?

Traqr wrote: Peder, I'm guessing you've had a few winters with regular bikes. Do you find the Cruzbike's front-wheel-drive is a benefit in slippery riding or does it spin out more often? Would your answer depend on whether you're on snow or ice?

On ice I don’t spin out on wet snow you can spin easily. When the roads were cleared I didn’t have any problems. I had many winters on an upright and have no plans of riding one again in the winter. With FWD you spin more then a conventional bike. The Sofrider was much better then I expected for winter cycling.
I was able to climb hills covered with snow and also ice. Good tires and suspension makes it functions well. Before last winter I had thought about getting an assist for the rear wheel for better traction. I found out I don’t need one! :D Maybe I will get one in the future if I have some health problem? I have been spoiled when it comes to comfort I have been on upright bikes when I have traveled. But when I get home and ride my Sofrider what a relief to sit comfortable and have a much better ride. I often think why will people ride an upright when they have other options?
Togor a man from northern Norway he has a Sofrider V2 and wrote that it was not a winter bike. He got his bike in the winter. Before you ride in winter conditions you have to learn to ride the bike in non winter season. He likes the bike in sommer conditions If he should try it this winter he might have a different opinion? :roll:

Peder

Here are some pictures of snow. With the first snow fall of the season many drivers have problems. :oops: Once they change to winter tires on there cars they do a lot better. I’m not going to put winter tires on my Sofrider yet. Hopefully we will still have a mild period.
http://www.fvn.no/bilder/bildeserier/article622779.ece

Some of you don’t have snow don’t you miss it? ;)

Peder

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Peder Torgersen wrote:
Some of you don’t have snow don’t you miss it? ;)

Peder
No!
You can keep it all for yourself, thank you.

Just thought I'd point out the obvious:
the word, "snow" has the word, "no" right in the middle.

So, no!

:)

-Steve