Getting started on my first conversion!

Cruzbike Chris

My conversion came in last Friday and I have been looking for a donor for nearly a month. Finally did find one today after many, many look sees later. Scored a Trek Y 26 in pretty good shape today on Craigslist for a mere $120. I thought that was a great deal considering all the other ones around here were going for $400+. Now for the build. Started tearing into it after dinner and can't seem to get the crank off. Got to go to the LBS tomorrow for a crank tool and a cog tool to break it all down. Anyone that's done the Y 26, all suggestions are welcome. Will take pictures as I go. I must say thanks to Doug and Maria for all your help. It won't be the last you hear from me for sure.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Got lucky, didn't

Got lucky, didn't you!??!

That's a great frame to build on and good wheels to work with. Great find!!

Ditch the knobbies, though and buy some high pressure road tires. You'll be much happier.

Take your time and build it right the first time. Most of all, enjoy the fun!!

Mark

Cruzbike Chris

I did get lucky

Thanks Mark, I did get a set of road tires yesterday and started putting it all together. Trying to do it right. Stripped down entire bike, cleaned and lubed everything. Just hope I can get it all back working again. Going along just fine until grand kids showed up. Time to play Pops. Will get back to building when they leave. Will keep you posted.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
  The Y26 makes a good

The Y26 makes a good donor.Heres the one I did started out with cruiser bars but liked the Wald 8095 touring bars better. Im still using Wald touring bars on the Silvio. Jack
P1010011.JPG

Cruzbike Chris

Awesome Jack"

Thanks for the pics. Any more close ups you got would be nice too. Still waiting to get back to the build. Looks like a little different setup on the seat then instructions show.
D.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Found another picture.I had 8

Found another picture.I had 8 different frames on that kit so the wood seat bracket made it really easy to swap frames.
P1010003.JPG

Cruzbike Chris

Fork trim

Hey Jack,
Did you have to trim the disk brake tab off for the cogs to drop in the lower sprocket? I can't see how it will work without it. Also what did you do with the seat post, get a reducer or what? Any help is appeciated.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
   Just cut off disk

Just cut off disk mounts.This is the seat post I used on several bikes.Someone else might have some better ideas.
P1010096.JPG