got mine

Paulie

alrighty then, here's another new Cruz customer :)

first this...
DSC00867.JPG

and now this (afta asstd mechanical mayhem)...
DSC00887.JPG

now it's time to learn how to ride it, fine tune it, tweek it, & buy stuff for it! Wish me luck... :D

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The bike and especially the rack looks GREAT!!!

When is a rear rack like that going to be made for the Silvio S30??????

Follow Ratz's learning figure 8 routines and Practice, Practice, Practice!!!

Once you have learned TO RELAX, you will wonder why didn't to convert to a Cruzbike years ago!!!

Paulie

Krap. Trying to git the last bit of wiggle outta the front end, the Diatech collar bolt snapped. I had seen the how-to vid on adjusting it, but got the snaperoo anyhoo. :oops:

Stay tuned fer future fiddle-faddle...

CruzLike

Guru
Paulie
How is your riding progress coming? I completed the assembly of my bike around the same time. I've been out for 35 miles.

Paulie

35, eh? Impressive.

Still gotta futz/adjust/tighten up here & there. I can kinda sorta handle it...but never mind tite manuvering! I'm a klutz so that's prolly gonna take awhile. Also got a Rans bent & a hybrid that're very comfy & practical, so I use em a lot here in Mijami.

Since I'm a typical m/c nutjob, I've spent some bux on farkles (accesories) at Bike Nashbar. I'll post some pix of it all soon.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I can kinda sorta handle it...but never mind tite manuvering! I'm a klutz so that's prolly gonna take awhile. Also got a Rans bent & a hybrid that're very comfy & practical, so I use em a lot here in Mijami.

I do recommend trying to only ride the Cruzbike for a while to get used to it. Switching back and forth between MBB and other bikes can slow down acclimation to MBB bikes.

(Once you're acclimated, it makes no difference.)

DavidJL

Today was my fifth time out on the streets. Really love the QX100. Easy to climb hills without weaving. Learning how to take off was the hardest part. Wondering when I should start trying SPD pedals.

Cruzbiker

Hi Paulie,
I don't like the Diatech at all.
It has two functions: tension the headset and keep the fork in place when you fold the bike. I never managed to set it up to do both. Every time I folded the bike, it came a little bit loose and had to be adjusted again when un-folding the bike.
Now that the Quest doesn't have front suspension, there is no reason not to use a regular headset and a locking headset like this one: http://problemsolversbike.com/products/locking_headset_spacers
Hope someday Cruzbike will make that change.

What I did to my Quest and improved setting up the Diatech was to pretend it was a regular headset. To do that I inserted a star nut in the fork steerer tube, and welded (JB Weld epoxy) a threaded rod to a headset screw (had a long nut between the two) to reach the star nut from the top of the Quest steerer extension tube.
Now whenever I need to fold it, I release this long screw, release the pivot clamp a bit, tight the Diatech enough to keep the fork in place and fold it.
When I have to unfold it, I insert the steerer extension and pivot clamp back, use the long headset screw to hold everything in place, loose the Diatech and now use the headset screw to get the proper tension in the headset. Then I tight the pivot clamp, and then the Diatech just a little bit for the final set up.
Works great for me. Of course if you manage to set it up, and don't fold/un-fold frequently, you don't need the headset screw.

Cruzbiker

DavidJL,
Fifth time out on the streets already? Then start with SPDs now! They do help a lot. You will feel more connected (literally) and confident with your the Quest.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Today was my fifth time out on the streets. Really love the QX100. Easy to climb hills without weaving. Learning how to take off was the hardest part. Wondering when I should start trying SPD pedals.

When people first start riding Cruzbikes, I recommend that they take their feet off of the pedals when things start "going south." If you find that you never do that anymore, it's probably the right time to start clipping in. As Cruzbiker says, it makes you feel much more connected and in control to be clipped in. I don't think I would have learned to ride with no hands if I weren't clipped in*.

Cheers,
Charles

* I can ride my Cruzbikes no handed without being clipped in, but I almost never ride without clipping in.

Paulie

Hi Paulie,
I don't like the Diatech at all.
It has two functions: tension the headset and keep the fork in place when you fold the bike. I never managed to set it up to do both. Every time I folded the bike, it came a little bit loose and had to be adjusted again when un-folding the bike.
Now that the Quest doesn't have front suspension, there is no reason not to use a regular headset and a locking headset like this one: http://problemsolversbike.com/products/locking_headset_spacers
Hope someday Cruzbike will make that change.

What I did to my Quest and improved setting up the Diatech was to pretend it was a regular headset. To do that I inserted a star nut in the fork steerer tube, and welded (JB Weld epoxy) a threaded rod to a headset screw (had a long nut between the two) to reach the star nut from the top of the Quest steerer extension tube.
Now whenever I need to fold it, I release this long screw, release the pivot clamp a bit, tight the Diatech enough to keep the fork in place and fold it.
When I have to unfold it, I insert the steerer extension and pivot clamp back, use the long headset screw to hold everything in place, loose the Diatech and now use the headset screw to get the proper tension in the headset. Then I tight the pivot clamp, and then the Diatech just a little bit for the final set up.
Works great for me. Of course if you manage to set it up, and don't fold/un-fold frequently, you don't need the headset screw.

...Very interesting. My &%@%$@ Diatech loosens up quickly. I'm not unfolding/refolding it, mainly cuz of the rack.
So please clue me in on how I can set it up w/o the headset screw. Thanks!

Cruzbiker

If you search around, there are many messages on setting up the Diatech.
It is quite simple:
- completely loosen the Diatech adjusting clamp (the bolt you snapped :) )
- loosen the stem clamp
- push the stem down as much as you can against the Diatech clamp - Try to keep the fork vertical (have someone lift the back of the Quest frame and hold it for you) so that the bearings are evenly seated against the races (you don't see it but you can feel when everything is in place), and the fork has minimal play in the headset.
- tighten the stem clamp - it has to be very, very, very tight, or the Diatech will push it up and screw your setting. After closing the levers, get an allen key and tighten the stem clamp screws, as much as you can, without snapping the screws :)
- now finally tighten the Diatech adjusting clamp until all play in the headset is gone. Do not tighten it too much; just enough to remove fork play.
Simple, simple, wonder why it never worked for me :(

Cruzbiker

While I was writing, Robert posted this nice video. My instructions are basically the same. Compare them.

Paulie

Hokay, seems like the Diatech *may* be tite enuf now.

So here's the latest post-farkle pic. Added a puter, bottle racks, spd pedals (won't clip-in for awhile), tube/parts bag, tailite bracket, pumpy, & big ole luggage sack :cool:

DSC00889.JPG

Paulie

Well, I've put only ~30 miles on it & it's been parked way too much. I never got the rite "feel" for it, if ya know what I mean.
So yesterday, its got a new owner! Local good guy / good rider Sebastian. He uber'd over & rode it home...alas...