Got the bits

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I ordered only the frame, but I got the bits in anticipation. Schmidt dynamo, Hope disk brakes, Rohloff, which I am told fits in the forks. I hope it all fits together. I don't know which hoops to get, so I am going to ask the LBS and ask them to build the wheels.

I have Rohloff on my 10-year old Grasshopper. I have had the wheel off loads of times, but I never noticed how heavy it was. I got the new Rohloff out of its box and nearly dropped it. I wonder if they are making them heavier than before. I guess a Silvio 2 with Rohloff will be faster than a Grasshopper with Rohloff.

Romagjack

I'll be watching your build.

I'll be watching your build. That's the bike I want! Thought you needed a 135mm fork for the Rohloff?

BentBierz

Romagjack said...

"Thought you needed a 135mm fork for the Rohloff?"

You typically do but the Silvio forks will spread enough to accept the Rohloff. The problem I personally have with this is everything you read, including Sheldon Brown, does not suggest you spread aluminum/carbon forks or frames. I'm sure many people in the past have done it but it is supposed to not be good to keep these materials stretched to this limit long term as micro-fracturing can develop leading to failure (hopefully the engineers on this board won't beat me up too bad if I'm not explaining this accurately or correctly). You can do this with steel and titanium because they are less stiff and their elasticity is superior to aluminum and carbon.

I am still contemplating facing the inside of each fork drop and installing my Rohloff. I have been waiting and waiting for SRAM 22 parts and now, with the discussion on this board of potential issues with 11 speed parts fitting, I may go back to my original Rohoff idea. If I do face them, I'll use the the below tool available at http://morningstartools.com.

dft.png height:432px; width:576px

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I think Doug Burton has a 135

I think Doug Burton has a 135 hub in a Silvio 2. I don't fancy bending it. Can I face it, I mean can I face facing it? I will ask the LBS about facing it. If I try to file it, it probably will end up all gouged and not flat. It needs to be flat.

BentBierz

bladderhead said...

"I think Doug Burton has a 135 hub in a Silvio 2. I don't fancy bending it. Can I face it, I mean can I face facing it? I will ask the LBS about facing it. If I try to file it, it probably will end up all gouged and not flat. It needs to be flat."

Doug did do that. I have a Rohloff wheel from another bike that I test fit on my Silvio but, with the forks spread 5mm, I didn't like how the dropouts wouldn't sit square due to the spreading of the forks. Also, as mentioned above, the potential long term effects of having the forks spread that far basically took me out of my safety comfort zone.

The dropouts are actually pretty substantial. They also have a raised area on the inner face that doesn't exist on any of my other bikes. I measured the drop thickness and it is a hair over 10mm. Keeping things equal, instead of measuring fork dropout thicknesses, I measured the rear drop thicknesses on several of my other bikes. One was 6.5mm and two others that were between 7 and 7.5mm. I think I can safely face 1.5mm to 2.0 mm off of each face making spreading the forks virtually a non-issue.

In full disclosure, Cruzbike suggested I not do this but I believe it to be a less worrisome issue than spreading the forks 5mm. The above said, I have an engineering "background" but I am not an engineer (we call it a deck plate engineer in the Coast Guard) so would love to hear from the engineers out there.

BentBierz

Eric said...

"As Charles Plager would say Larrry, Do It, Do It, Do It, Do It!"

I am very tempted but I have already built up a new wheel around a White Industries 11 speed, disc-compatible hub. I'm not certain if I want to go through the hassle of trying to sell it.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Well, someone's got to do it,

Well, someone's got to do it, so it might as well be me.

I have left the Schmidt dynamo and the Rohloff with the LBS, who said they might be able to do it. On the mention of facing, they all made terrible faces and said they don't do it. I guess I might find someone else to do it, or maybe I will have to file it myself.

My grandfather was a structural engineer who died when I was a baby. That is the extent of my engineering background. Which idea is less mad, bending or facing?

BentBierz

"Well, someone's got to do

"Well, someone's got to do it, so it might as well be me.

I have left the Schmidt dynamo and the Rohloff with the LBS, who said they might be able to do it. On the mention of facing, they all made terrible faces and said they don't do it. I guess I might find someone else to do it, or maybe I will have to file it myself.

My grandfather was a structural engineer who died when I was a baby. That is the extent of my engineering background. Which idea is less mad, bending or facing?"

If you look at the Silvio fork dropout, you'll see that it would be next to impossible to file...kind of hard to explain without a picture but filing isn't going to work.

When I was thinking on buying the facing tool from Morningstar, the owner offered to rent the tool to me for $25 plus shipping so that I could face my fork (and any others in my garage) and not be out the cost of a tool that I would probably never use again. I was going to do this until I changed my mind and decided to go with conventional gearing.

If I decide to do this, I will either rent the tool or ask Morningstar if I can send the fork to them for facing. It would probably cost a little more to do this but might be worth it in the long run.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Silvio 1.x forks have a good

Silvio 1.x forks have a good thickness on the dropouts. Silvio 2.0, this was trimmed down to allow mountain bike skewers to fit.

Facing the dropouts of a 1.x Silvio is the best option for rollhoffiles :)

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
This is all so

This is all so encouraging!

Larry feels committed to his wheel, and I do to mine. Rohloff is not cheap!

So you want me to try to face the Rohloff now?

In conclusion I have only one thing to say: AAAAARRGH!