Gravel Roads / Dirt Paths??

Gary V

Hi,
I am considering the purchase of a QX100 and have a question for the experienced riders out there!

How do these bikes handle on gravel roads or dirt/sandpaths? Can you go up hills on these surfaces or is there too much wheel spin to make it rideable? What about flats, or down hills?

My guess is that due to the front wheel drive, there will be excessive wheel spin making the Cruz virtually unrideable on these surfaces, but I am hoping that I am mistaken!

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Gary

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
I used to ride my Sofrider on gravel twice a day.
The gravel driveway was a tenth of a mile long.

Others have ridden around the world on challenging roads.

Sure, FWD is challenging sometimes, but it works fine.
Yes, some steep pitches are too slick... but if you can walk, it's all good.

Now, I use narrow high-pressure slicks, because most of my miles are on paved roads.
But if my riding was on gravel and dirt I'd ride on big, treaded, low-pressure tires.

Finally, I'd race my dog back and forth on the gravel driveway, doing up to 20mph.
On slicks.

These bikes are fun!

skipB

I ride a Q 559 on gravel almost everyday . I find the front wheel drive to work just fine . I ride panracer 2 inch tire at 70 lbs per square inch. They ride well with great grip . Theses were the tires that Robert and I had talked about before I bought the bike . So I upgraded . The bike is great fun.

HubbsCruzbike

I ride a Q 559 on gravel almost everyday . I find the front wheel drive to work just fine . I ride panracer 2 inch tire at 70 lbs per square inch. They ride well with great grip . Theses were the tires that Robert and I had talked about before I bought the bike . So I upgraded . The bike is great fun.
Which specific Panaracer tire do you ride? I will be doing mostly smooth roads but I want to be able to do occasional gravel, crushed limestone, etc. just have the stock 1.0 inch tires. Also, did you put the Oanaracer on the stock wheels?
thanks