Greenway Sojourn, anyone?

MootPoint

I recently bought a Quest 2 (559) and have signed up for this ride:

http://www.railstotrails.org/getinvolved/findanevent/sojourn/index.html

Are there any other Cruzbike'rs interested in doing it? Would be fun to have some fellow tangerines out there.

The first day (of the "six day option") will be mostly roads and probably hilly so I may be walking quite a bit, but the next several days will be perfect for bonding with the new bike.

I'm a long-time cycle-tourer (diamond-frame) and this style of riding is new to me -- I'm still not very confident of my ability to track a straight line, and can't manage the balance to get it up a steep hill (I think it is geared a lot 'higher' than my touring bike, too). I live in the CT River Valley, between the White and Green Mtns, and hills are just part of cycling around here. I do, though, hope that the Quest can be my "Trans Am" bike in a couple of years.

I will be researching tires this month . . .

Romagjack

Sounds like a great trip.

Sounds like a great trip. Sorry we can't do it this year, but we're considering purchasing Tangerines and will be looking for trips like this. How is your experience so far with the Quest?

MootPoint

Quest experience so far

I've made some adaptations: a longer stem / adjustable rise so that my right knee doesn't get nicked by the front shifter. I'm 5 ft - 4 in.

Also, just installed Marathon Plus tires [559 x 1.35] (they were bomb-proof and show no tread-wear from my last long tour), figuring that getting the front wheel off the bike is something I'd prefer not to have to do on a tour. They are appreciably heavier but the bike handles very well with them. As I said before, I am resigned to walking up the longer hills. Have some sneakers with SPD cleats, highly walkable.

If I take the seat-arrangement and only the rear wheel off, uncouple the rear shock, and fold it, the Quest fits in the back of my Mini Cooper with room to spare! I recommend putting it on yoga blocks to keep the tender parts from taking any pressure while a sheet of high-density foam inserted during the folding process will keep the frame from getting scratched. Experiment with your two bikes, but I'm sure it can be done. You'll likely have to take both wheels off, though.

I ride most days and, every day, it feels more 'natural.' No longer have the death-grip. Using the cleats does provide more power and foot-stability.

Claudia

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Nice one in the back of the mini cooper!

Sounds like you got that figured out!

I rotated the shifter forward so the thumb lever didnt drop down so far. I can't see the gear indicater to see which of 1-9 gears I am in now, but I don't really care about that, if the hub is in the middle position, the other gears all work themselves out anyways. ;)

Romagjack

Quest Experience so Far

Thanks, Claudia
Very helpful information. Please post a journal of your upcoming Greenway ride. Sounds like it will test all the abilities of both you and the Quest. I'm especially interested in how the hub downshifts on rolling hills.

Romagjack

Top Speed?

Hi John,

Have you had the opportunity or desire to check the high gear speed burst. Just wondered if the 559 has the guts (gearing) to pass some of the cocky DF's in my bike club. I run out of gears (or legs) at 24 mph on Conversion bike. Thanks.

Romagjack

Quest Adjustable Stem

Looks like I will need an height adjustable stem also. Were you able to find a black one to match?