greetings and advice

Kenneth

Hello and greetings,
I'm new to Cruzbike having recently bought a S40 frame set, it will be my first recumbent. I have been reading the forum and learning quite a bit about cruzbikes and bike building in general. This my first attempt to build up a frame-set. I'm sourcing as many of the parts as i can from my 2012 Surly Crosscheck though not all the parts will transfer.
i need some advice about front caliper brake mounting. The brakes I bought Tektro R559 Long Reach 55-73 mm need 4 washer/spacers to clear the forks but this makes the bolt to short to properly reach the recessed nut even using a longer one. Is this a common problem that has a simple fix or is the fact that the brake takes four washers to clear mean its shape just isn't suited to the S40 fork?
regards,
Kenenth

telephd

Guru
welcome to the tribe Kenneth and congrats on the S40 purchase. It could be that the R559 is not suitable or that you need a longer center bolt fixing nut. In my parts box I have them from about 20mm to 65mm (0.75-2.5") I think they are available longer than 65mm. You might want to check with your LBS.

Kenneth

Mathew Fry,
Thanks for the link.
I read through it a long way and it seems the clearance issue I'm having is fairly common, good to know it wasn't kust me.
Telphd, I will check to see if my LBS can increase the center bolt length of the brake which seems the best way to fix the issue without having incredibly small/no clearance between brake pads and fork

I'll let you all know how it works out

Regards,
Kenneth

Kenneth

So it turns out that the biggest issue with the front brake not clearing the fork was my own lack of experience . The reason i needed 4 washers to clear the forks was because i didn't turn the pads to fit the rim.
With the pads set correctly to the rim I only needed three washers which in turn made the center bolt of the brake long enough for the recessed nut to get enough threads.