Handlebars

mickjordan

I'm curious about alternate handlebars. I'm not that keen on the standard set, essentially because of the angled brifters and the short down tube (I have very large hands). I'd prefer more conventional drops where my hand could be straight, like shaking hands. I saw the post on WTB, which looked good, but I also read a review that said they weighed a ton. Of course, they have to be wide and 25.4", and there doesn't seem to be too much out there in that category.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
That pretty well nails it...

Using vertical drops, you'll need a wider bar (basically, 46cm - widest available and not too many choices) unless you raise the bar a bit to assure you have knee clearance. Maria's yellow Silvio record bike was set up that way, but those bars were selected for absolute racing only and she's reverted to the angled drops for all other riding on that bike.

We use a 25.4 stem clamp here to accomodate bars with angled drops; these tend to be 6061 T6 aluminum.

Carbon bars aren't available with angled drops (that I have been able to find) and tend to require a 31mm stem clamp.

My advice would be to ride the bike some before deciding to change the bars. The angled drops provide much better maneuvering space for your knees, and allow you to steer using your wrist muscles as well as your arms and shoulders, which provides a finer degree of control.

Cheers,

Doug

kidneyboy

I have the Salsa Woodchipper

I have the Salsa Woodchipper bars on mine (I also have large hands) and so far they are working out well. Lots of places to put my hands, including being able to grab the brifters. Plus just enough room for my knees.

005-6.jpg

WhiteSilvio

Alternative handlebar setup

Hi mickjordan,
I offer an alternative to the Origin8 bars.
I prefer the standard roadbike drop 'bars and I originally had them mounted using the original fitting on the end of the telescopic boom.

However I wanted more room for knees and a slightly longer reach so I mounted a MTB stem, using a sleeve which is just visible in the stem on the boom, on the boom and then the 'bars go on other end of that.

I include a picture of this (which happens to be a 3D crosseyed image; look through a slot about the same width as your eye spacing with the largest image you can do on your monitor. Your hands held up in front of your eyes will suffice, about 150mm from your eyes. Sit back from the monitor as you would normally do and then just look for a single 3D image in the middle of the screen. You may need to move in and out a little. Doesn't work for everyone, but I can see this one so I know it works! for me).

The end fitting has now gone and the hole in the end of the tube has a plastic bung.

I find this arrangement gives me all the room I need and steering room. But your mileage may vary.

Just another viewpoint.
John

mickjordan

WoodChipper/Headrest

Thanks, they look interesting.

However, I was most interested in your headrest! It looks custom to me. I have been told by one designer that the Silvio is particularly challenging for headrests. But I'd ;like one for long rides.

Kim Tolhurst

There is a most suitable headrest for Silvio

It is supplied by Ice Trikes. I will try to get a pic for you of my friends set up.

cheers.

ICE Trikes headrest

Kim is correct. It's an ICE Trikes headrest. As you can see a seat bag (upside down) is easily attached.

I've been pleased with the set up.

I described it at: http://www.cruzbiking.com.au/links

kidneyboy

Mickjordan,
I looked at the

Mickjordan,

I looked at the ICE headrests but the $100 price tag scared me off.

mickjordan

Ice trikes headrest

That looks good. Just checking about the bolts protruding. I trust you can't feel them? Or is some further padding required?

mickjordan

WTB Bars

So I splashed out on a set of WTB bars, put them on and did a trainer ride today. I think I'll be sticking with them. They are a few ounces heavier than the standard bar, but they fit my large hands much better. Plus, IMHO, they look better, more traditional certainly, and the brifters don't stick out anything like as much. Someone with smaller hands could certainly cut a section off the ends, as the flat part of the drop is pretty irrelevent on the Silvio.

mickjordan

Re: Ice trikes headrest

My headrest also arrived today. Now I just need kidneyboy to post the recipe for attaching it to the Silvio. As shipped it has no suitable mounting mechanism that I can see.

kidneyboy

Mick,
 Did you order the ICE

Mick,
Did you order the ICE trikes headrest? Take a look at post #6 and you can see how holes were drilled to mount it. The attachment bolts are well hidden with the seat pad.

mickjordan

Re: Ice trikes headrest

Yes, that's what I have. The headrest ships with the attachment that nortmally fits on the tube at the back of the mesh seat; this has two bolts that attach through that to the rails. So I guess I drill two holes in the Silvio seat for those. Post #6 shows three bolts wich puzzled me. Did you use the bolts that came with the headrest. With the washers they are about 5/16" deep.