Hands-free

ccf

Guru
I've been trying to ride my S30 hands-free lately with limited success. Best case so far is 4 pedal rotations. I can coast for a a while by hugging the frame with my legs. Any tips on how to ride the S30 hands-free? Lifting my legs seems to help a little.

-Cliff

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I've been trying to ride my S30 hands-free lately with limited success. Best case so far is 4 pedal rotations. I can coast for a a while by hugging the frame with my legs. Any tips on how to ride the S30 hands-free? Lifting my legs seems to help a little.

-Cliff

The best practice is to work on one-handed riding with a really light touch and the other arm hanging limp. Eventually it just comes with mileage.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Another drill is to grip your handlebars closer and closer to the middle clamp, the handlebar clamp.
And hold the handlebar gently-gently.

Remember to do this on stretches where you won't need to brake or shift in hurry!

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
What Bob said. You want to find a nice straight pass (maybe with a slight upward incline and just pedal smoothly.

Also, are you clipping in? I can ride no handed without clipping in, but it's much easier if I am.

ccf

Guru
Finally got the hands-free working today going up some slight uphill streets. Was able to go hands-free for about 100m, then take a left turn still hands-free, then go another 100m before the grade became too steep. Slight uphill is WAY easier than level ground or downhill. Why is that?

-Cliff

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I reckon if you have enough float in your pedal that if you keep your knees in then it would be easier. For me I prefer to have a hand on things... The road surface changes quickly and I don't have any scratches on my V so why start now?

Mind you I might be open to a scratched up V20. So 100m hands free to beat for all those V20 owners :rolleyes:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I reckon if you have enough float in your pedal that if you keep your knees in then it would be easier. For me I prefer to have a hand on things... The road surface changes quickly and I don't have any scratches on my V so why start now?

Mind you I might be open to a scratched up V20. So 100m hands free to beat for all those V20 owners :rolleyes:
I retract what I said...

"The other bit is to enduce fear... Which isn't love... It's the opposite. One thing is for sure, I love riding the V"

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Finally got the hands-free working today going up some slight uphill streets. Was able to go hands-free for about 100m, then take a left turn still hands-free, then go another 100m before the grade became too steep. Slight uphill is WAY easier than level ground or downhill. Why is that?

-Cliff

My guess is because going up a slight incline you completely control the speed by pedaling. You pedal faster, you go faster. You pedal slower, the bike goes slower and in all cases, your pedaling finds resistance.

When you go downhill, you end up where you either need to speed up your spinning or you aren't actually pushing the bike and just spinning the pedals.

billyk

Guru
What Charles said. You have positive pressure on the pedals at all times. Slight variations of that pressure give you your steering control. I learned this first on slight uphills as well.

BK

DavidJL

Got a chance to try out an older Vendetta (pre-hydroform frame). Did not try hands free on it, because it's not mine, but did try circling hands around bars as a test. I can easily ride hands free on the QX, with or without clipping in. This may have something to do with practicing skating helping with balance. Hands free riding definitely works the abs, so having good core strength is important.