Hard case storage box under the seat

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
So I'm chilling out and cooling down in my shop post lunch ride and a solution to a long standing idea pops into my head. I've tried mounting a few seat bags and what not in the open area under the seat but nothing takes advantage of the full space and the zipper is always on the wrong side so it's a PITA to open. It's Friday and all the workers are go for the day so I figured what the hell, so I grabbed a cardboard box and a box cutter and started fabricating. One empty cardboard box, 20 feet of tape and an hour later and you get this.

A86CCB86-BD5B-467E-A14F-DF45105FE192_zpsj84tf5g8.jpg
9B1A9C38-A2E2-482E-A29B-0D1610BDC2A8_zpstrby2km5.jpg
D32E273B-C509-47A3-9073-AEFFC86CAED2_zpsuglljcaf.jpg
8576CE10-E07E-48E2-8C36-BC9AD65F4822_zpszcylqe4j.jpg
D9F08D8B-38DD-4362-B769-DD2E7491D2ED_zpsfkbn7sah.jpg
E89E4B81-D655-4215-9C12-E95D74655E4A_zps5fuhupup.jpg
8A3316F5-82A7-46F5-B3C9-64600BAF7FB5_zpsmne0yav3.jpg
4669EE6E-FF56-438A-99B6-B7FA2966CA15_zpssahfwhcn.jpg

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
The thing is the vendetta is a long wheel base. I would be interested to to know if Jason gets any stress marks on the box as the bike flexes. Carboard is a more forgiving than carbon. The box for this area of the bike is going to be two parts sandwiched together so why not make the box flex with an overlap?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Although the frame does flex in that area it wouldn't be so much that rubber grommets wouldn't be enough. A production part would have to be setup for easy install so you would must likely loose about 20% storage volume compared to my mockup. I'm thinking 4 rubber feet, 2 on each side of the lower rails with zip ties to secure it to the frame. The rear and upper area would be free to float with a small air gap for frame flex and needed clearance for install. The door closure could be ass simple as Velcro or a little more modern with a D-zuse fastener.

If I get bored I refine the idea a bit more then maybe fabricate another proto out of plastic or aluminum sheets.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
This bag has been field tested on vamoose for awhile now. One of the challenges bag people will run into is the top of the frame has a wide curve. This causes several problems. One, aero traps and two, not sitting on the frame firmly. A hard case will probably rattle. This bag tackles this by having the top made soft fabric (molds to frame while the other sides are reinforced to give hard case look. It is attached with straps hooking to the stock seat velcro and a bolt in the rear lower brake mount. This makes a tight form fit around the frame and eliminates aero stops. Another option is using quick release pin in the lower brake mount and having velcro on the side of the frame. This does the same thing but will allows for a quick removal option. The first method makes it harder to steal. One could put a curved zipper on the bag to make a larger hand entry. We found the current bag works just fine. No need for extra costs and work associated with the complex zipper.

vbag.jpg

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Yeah but is it available for purchase? That really would be a perfect setup if it had a curved zipper. A storage area that large with only a slot is kind of annoying.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Here's the problems I have with the curved zipper. They cost a lot more. My seamstress balks saying they are a major problem getting it right. And finally, the bag is so small the curve takes away from the reinforced side causing a wrinkle or two. Just saying.
471e88887edc14f0833c5d5291dc6d6a.jpg

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'm not ultra concerned with small aerodynamic losses since the bike is already quite aero. I just want to add some storage to the bike that isn't a PITA to get into. I think your bag is by far the best result so far but further improvements can always be made.

I don't expect you to tackle those improvements because you already gave a damn nice setup worth admiring.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for the compliments. But the truth be known the bag is not good enough for distribution. That's why I don't try and sell them. I buy the canvas from retail stores and the material fades pretty quickly while the I use "colorplast" as reinforcement between the walls. However, the last bag has been given to a source who may be interested in producing a higher quality product. I hope they do.