Has anybody mounted a different seat?

BentWart

I'm curious if anybody has fabricated any mounts for other types of seats, such as mounts using the "grenade pin" seat mount/release "standard" that RANS and Bacchetta use on their newer models, or maybe the "hose clamp and half-round tube" type mount used by Lightning, ICE, and Rotator, among others. Nothing against the existing seat, just trying to see what the options are if I decide I want something different.

I'm assuming here that if one can work out the seat bottom mounts for a non-CB seat, it should be possible to come up with a solution for the rear brace(s) that makes use of the Sofrider "seat post" tube as a mounting point.

I figured that this might be a modification that somebody has already tried, but I've not found any mention of it in my forum searches so far. Maybe I've not used the right search terms, or looked in the right places yet.

yangmusa

I would also like to know if someone has mounted a more conventional hardshell seat. The CB seat is clever and all, but it's too short for me and uncomfortable on longer rides.

1happyreader

zen/child method
I'm curious if anybody has fabricated any mounts for other types of seats
You posted in the Sofrider forum so I assume you are looking for mounting on that model.
I will also assume you have stripped off the seat and mount and see the possibilities of of that level flat tube.
While I don't remember folks using other seats on a Sofrider there were a few with the conversion kit.
We would love to see your pictures.
Mostly folks trying to decrease the layback angle.
Mr.Steve made a custom 18°seat for his Sofrider.
Charles made use of a bent or laid back seat post.
later,,, bye.

yangmusa

You must be a TALL torso fella.
There was at least one gent who fabricated a metal extension that fit between the seat back and seat bottom allowing the seat back to be positioned higher on his back .
was on the old website.

I meant to write sooner, but it's been busy..

Anyway, great tip about the spacer. I couldn't make that link work, but the idea was enough. I made 2" spacers between the seat halves - that was as long as they can be with the upper seat half on the original seat mount holes. It does help a bit, but as you can see from the attached picture, the top of the seat still hits on the lower portion of my shoulder blades. It still isn't ideal, but works fine on my short commute. After the holidays, I think I will take the plunge and redrill the upper seat mount holes in order to fit longer spacers. The downside is my Ventisit cushion will be far too short for the new length - I'll have to use the stock cushion again (since it's in two halves, matching the seat).

I'm very tempted to upgrade to a Silvio or Vendetta in order to get the chainstay extension - however, the lack of a large stock seat option makes that less attractive. The new T50 looked intriguing in pics from Cycle-Con. It looks like it should be very easy to modify, and might make a good platform for a fast tourer.

RearView.jpg SideView.jpg