Has anyone built up a T 50 with "front" derailleurs ?

Palzkrumbeer

Hey all,
i am thinking about ordering a frameset even if shipment costs hurts ;). While reading really much in this forum about the T50 i never found a picture or reports about bikes with front derailleurs. I would like to know if there is a reason not to build up a T50 with 2 or 3 cogs in "front" and 7 or 8 gear cassette.
Any answer appreciated, i just need help to get an idea how much i have to spend in parts to complete the bike here (germany). Gearing is one most important things in my case, cause landscape is not flat where i live and i am not well trained.... yet

Regards
Volker

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Ours will have FD, and it's not going to be any harder than with a quest. If will be following

Vicki C.

T50 Trailblazer and Silvio newbie
Hey all,
i am thinking about ordering a frameset even if shipment costs hurts ;). While reading really much in this forum about the T50 i never found a picture or reports about bikes with front derailleurs. I would like to know if there is a reason not to build up a T50 with 2 or 3 cogs in "front" and 7 or 8 gear cassette.
Any answer appreciated, i just need help to get an idea how much i have to spend in parts to complete the bike here (germany). Gearing is one most important things in my case, cause landscape is not flat where i live and i am not well trained.... yet

Regards
Volker

I have a double in front in place of the 40t it came with. 50/34. I would love a triple but trying to just get stronger.

Rumbleseat

You know Vicki, if you did go with a triple you would probably get another low gear. So instead of a 50/34 you might be looking at a 52/39/30T. I'm going to go with a mountain bike triple myself. A Shimano XT M780 10-Speed Triple Chainset, tt will be 42-32-24T for ratios.

Vicki C.

T50 Trailblazer and Silvio newbie
You know Vicki, if you did go with a triple you would probably get another low gear. So instead of a 50/34 you might be looking at a 52/39/30T. I'm going to go with a mountain bike triple myself. A Shimano XT M780 10-Speed Triple Chainset, tt will be 42-32-24T for ratios.
I did actually go to a triple, 48-36-26, some off the wall brand. It adds even more weight to the front but easier for my knees on the pitchups. I have an 8-speed.

iambent

My T50 has a triple. A microshift FD539F braze on derailler works great.View attachment 5636
Since the R539 is a bottom pull derailleur I am trying to figure out how it works on a Cruzbike. In the photo I cannot see the cable routing at the bottom bracket because it is obscured by the chainwheel.

Has anyone tried a top pull derailleur on a Cruzbike?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Since the R539 is a bottom pull derailleur I am trying to figure out how it works on a Cruzbike. In the photo I cannot see the cable routing at the bottom bracket because it is obscured by the chainwheel.

I have both (on different bikes). They both work fine.

Brad R

My T50 came with a pulley at the bottom of the boom that would allow the cable to approach the derailleur from below. I didn’t use it because I went with a 1x11. I assume this fitting is standard.

iambent

My T50 came with a pulley at the bottom of the boom that would allow the cable to approach the derailleur from below. I didn’t use it because I went with a 1x11. I assume this fitting is standard.
Thanks for the info on the derailleur cable pulley. That answers my question on how the bottom pull type derailleurs setup on the T50. I thought maybe they used a clamp on pulley, but nice to know bike comes with a pulley installed.

If I decide to order a frame I plan to use 1x11 since I already have the parts, but was wondering how a FD setup on the T50 if in the future I would decide to install a double crankset.