Has anyone cut their seat to allow storage in frame?

Jesse Groves

I am wondering if it would damage the integrity of the carbon seat if I cut holes in it so that I can access the holes in the frame where it attaches without having to remove the seat. It would be a nice space for extra storage of clothing items.

Has anyone tried that?

Rampa

Guru
Some seats already have cutouts. I would try first with something non-carbon, and made that way. Performer fiber-plastic seats have central cutouts.
DSC03482.JPG

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I am wondering if it would damage the integrity of the carbon seat if I cut holes in it so that I can access the holes in the frame where it attaches without having to remove the seat. It would be a nice space for extra storage of clothing items.

Has anyone tried that?
I don't think that the Cruzbike CF seat, without any stiffening ribs, will be strong enough to cut large access holes in it, but maybe the Poland Thor seat.

Just contact Gregory Antonovitch, and ask him if cutting the holes to match the Vendetta frame holes would be possible and safe.
If it is possible, then ask what the cost for thor to do it so the edges of the holes are finished off and sealed correctly!
http://www.thorseat.eu/en/contact-with-thor-composite-recumbent-seat/

LMT

There is a better more practical way imo.

Drill two sets of holes higher up on the seat, just a couple of inches down from the neckrest. Form this point fit a water bottle cage and carry your surplus kit in a water bottle. Worked for me on LEL, with one bottle carrying my carb powder and the other my rain jacket and arm warmers.

LMT

A picture paints a thousand words, it is a bit of tight fit but it does work. you can see where the bottle sits under the seat, which is the same for the other side.

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 44

Jesse Groves

I have the Moose Pack and the carbon tailbox, so I could attach two more bottle cages to that if absolutely necessary. I just think it would be cool to figure out a way to utilize the empty space in the frame.

LMT

One thing to be aware of with that idea is that water does accumulate in the frame if out riding in the rain, or it does with me anyways. My guess is where the support for the headrest enters the frame that's where there is water ingress.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I have the Moose Pack and the carbon tailbox, so I could attach two more bottle cages to that if absolutely necessary. I just think it would be cool to figure out a way to utilize the empty space in the frame.
One thing to be aware of with that idea is that water does accumulate in the frame if out riding in the rain, or it does with me anyways. My guess is where the support for the headrest enters the frame that's where there is water ingress.

Since I ride tubeless; I stash a spare tube, plastic tire irons, a couple of $1 bills to use as a tire boot all in the frame in a plastic bag. I also keep military seal food bar that won't spoil. If I have a bad enough flat that I need a tube I can remove the seat have a snack and I have what I need to get home.

Granted the tubeless hasn't never failed me and I just refresh the supplies with a new tube and a new bar at the start of the season.

For the water problem I used bath tub silicon to seal the top of the frame around the head rest tubes; that keeps 95% of stuff out of the bike frame.

Jesse Groves

Hmmm...I hadn't considered water intrusion. I guess I would get a lot of sweat build-up in the frame if I put holes in the seat even if it wasn't raining. I typically get a good puddle in my seat pan when riding, even with a drain hole drilled through it.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
On my Silvio I was caught by a torrential downpour. Not long duration, but absolute buckets. When I got home I was almost dry and then I did the "slide and glide" and the whole lot shot out of the headrest holes all over my legs.